Melbourne Football

Nicolas Colazo

Deviant

27 minutes ago, japiedog said:

showed his class. some really nice touches and passes

got skinned a few times early on when Holosko got behind him, but really shone later in the match

Early on he was targeted. Can recall atleast 3 times it was a 2 v1 and he got skinned. Luckily nothing came from it. As the game developed his class really stood out. 

Finally we can hurt teams from dead balls. And on one occasion he got beyond Brandan and whipped in a ripper. 

Not sure I'm in favour of him playing at LB but if Kamau and Brandan continue in this form then he is miles ahead Rose Muscat or Chapman as a regular left back.

All up a back 4 of Colazo Malik Jakobsen and Franjic is very balanced and has the quality and intelligence to defend for periods.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Early on he was targeted. Can recall atleast 3 times it was a 2 v1 and he got skinned. Luckily nothing came from it. As the game developed his class really stood out. 

Finally we can hurt teams from dead balls. And on one occasion he got beyond Brandan and whipped in a ripper. 

Not sure I'm in favour of him playing at LB but if Kamau and Brandan continue in this form then he is miles ahead Rose Muscat or Chapman as a regular left back.

All up a back 4 of Colazo Malik Jakobsen and Franjic is very balanced and has the quality and intelligence to defend for periods.

That is a novel innovation by JVS...

Last nights first half was impressive. Then when he moved into the middle for the second half he became far less involved. During the game I thought he was a bit unsuited for that central midfield position. But on reflection I think it's more he ran out of legs. Wouldn't mind seeing him central again. 

The conundrum though is that at LB he is almost wasted but considering your comparing him with Rose it's a no brainer. So inevitably if everyone is available he will most likely be LB the next 2 weeks. FWIW the way we set up the cup final was our best starting XI and also the subs. 

• Like 3

Personally I don't think he is wasted at left back due to the way we play.

He was close to MoM in the Final, and the amount of times Rose was bombing down the wing and even in to the box on Saturday - if that was Colazo every time we might have got a different result.

I'd be playing him at LB every week.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Personally I don't think he is wasted at left back due to the way we play.

He was close to MoM in the Final, and the amount of times Rose was bombing down the wing and even in to the box on Saturday - if that was Colazo every time we might have got a different result.

I'd be playing him at LB every week.

Only thing for me and this is going of his game in the final and his first 45 on Saturday that individually he is more productive playing as that wide winger/forward. But as a balance look and the player combination that means we lose either Kamau or Brandan and gain Rose. So for me overall I think for next 2 games I'd play him as the LB with Kamau and Brandan also starting but long-term I would like him more forward.

Great problem to have. The other question that's been puzzling me is the Cahill or Caceras scenario. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The other question that's been puzzling me is the Cahill or Caceras scenario.

TBH we're stuck with Cahill making at least a cameo appearance every match to placate FFA. Caceres would be OK if he'd only pass the ball instead of going round trying to beat everyone at least twice. Does more figures-of-eight than an ice-skater. We may well have Lampard as a third option soon.

• Like 1

If Colazo was pushed up to LW, there's no reason why we can't have Kamau at RW and then why not Brandan in the middle with Bruno.

In one of the earlier games this year when Cahill was subbed off, Brandan went to CAM and a winger was subbed on. 

Great spot for the team to be in when we have a guy like Colazo that can play LB/LM/LW at a high level. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

So my South American adventures have landed me in Argentina. The consensus with Boca fans so far is we can keep colazo haha. I've gathered that he is to them what Ramsay was to us. One of them did mention his missus, so appreciation for her is clearly universal.

What don't they like about him

I heard the same from Boca supporters when i was looking up the pedigree of Colazo before he signed with us. Really puts the standard of Australian football into perspective when a great a league level player like him is considered to be rubbish in Argentina.....

24 minutes ago, Dylan said:

What don't they like about him

Just reckon he wasn't up to boca standards and was given too many chances, continued to fail when he needed to deliver. 

I personally like what I've seen so far for us. It is important to note only two of the 10 to 12 Argentines I've spoken with even know fernando, so their bench mark is fairly high.

3 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Just reckon he wasn't up to boca standards and was given too many chances, continued to fail when he needed to deliver. 

I personally like what I've seen so far for us. It is important to note only two of the 10 to 12 Argentines I've spoken with even know fernando, so their bench mark is fairly high.

What about our other Legendary trailblazing Argentine Germano. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

23 minutes ago, TJV said:

I heard the same from Boca supporters when i was looking up the pedigree of Colazo before he signed with us. Really puts the standard of Australian football into perspective when a great a league level player like him is considered to be rubbish in Argentina.....

ITs probably a lesson for supporters to A) never listen to supporters opinions and b ) never read their forums to see how good a player is :P

Exhibit a) Everyone on here loved Redmayne and wanted bolton out. Look how that went. 

Exhibit b ) Everyone thought Tando was rubbish when he first arrived, that was wrong.

Exhibit c) Everyone on here thought Hoffmann was rubbish, when really he is a decent RB

Conclusion. stop listening to us and reading this forum. We are rubbish :up:

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

ITs probably a lesson for supporters to A) never listen to supporters opinions and b ) never read their forums to see how good a player is :P

Exhibit a) Everyone on here loved Redmayne and wanted bolton out. Look how that went. 

Exhibit b ) Everyone thought Tando was rubbish when he first arrived, that was wrong.

Exhibit c) Everyone on here thought Hoffmann was rubbish, when really he is a decent RB

Tbf, on point a, Redmayne's first (half) season after replacing Bolton was pretty good. Things hit the skids badly in our 4th season and he's never recovered since.
IMO its not ability with Redmayne, its mental.

That said, you can only have so many chances and he's well and truly used up his 9 lives as an A League goalkeeper now. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

That's the beauty of soccer. There is no definitive conclusion. No one is ever right and therefore no one is ever wrong it's all opinion. 

Edited by Jovan
Glad you didn't use Ramsay or Maycon as examples.
  • Like 1

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic