Melbourne Football

Strider Presents - Victory derby v1

Hughesie27

Melbourne Victory squad: 2.Jason GERIA, 3.Scott GALLOWAY, 4.Nick ANSELL, 5.Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 6.Leigh BROXHAM, 7.Marco ROJAS, 8.Besart BERISHA, 11.Mitch AUSTIN, 13.Oliver BOZANIC, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 15.Alan BARO, 17.James DONACHIE, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (gk), 21.Carl VALERI (c), 22.Stefan NIGRO, 23.Jai INGHAM, 25.Sebastian PASQUALI, 27.Alastair BRAY (gk)

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 4.Nick ANSELL (returns from injury), 7.Marco ROJAS (returns from national team duty), 22.Stefan NIGRO (promoted), 25.Sebastian PASQUALI (promoted)

Outs: 10.James TROISI (collarbone – 3-4 weeks), 19.George HOWARD (omitted)

Unavailable: Nil

Melbourne City FC squad: 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN, Yaren SOZER (gk)

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 17.Tim CAHILL (returns from international duty), 21.Ruon TONGYIK (promoted), Yaren SOZER (gk) (promoted)

Outs: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk) (suspended – 1 match)

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (international duty)

Think Cahill will start, but line up could be anything this week. My guess is this:

Bouzanis

Chapman    Jakobsen    Rose

Kilkenny

Kamau     Brattan         Caceres      Colazo

Cahill

Fornaroli

SUBS Sozer Muscat Malik Brandan Fitzgerald

Kilkenny to drop into the back 4 in defence much like last week, Kamau and Colazo to effectively make it 4 at the front when in attack. Wouldnt surprise if Brandan. or even Malik started over Caceres. Either way Caceres into the 10 role when Cahill subs off, Fitzy as a late wing sub for whoever is less effective of Nico and Bruce.

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So nervous about Rose and Chapman in the fullback positions. Muscat loves his fast wingers as well and will target those areas for sure. If we don't dominate the midfield we'll be in trouble. Other than that my god we've got a ridiculous squad. 

Tbh i think if we do dominate the midfield that makes us more susceptible to fast wingers on the counter. Likewise tho, when theyve got the upper hand in midfield, turn it over at your peril or Nicky Colazo's sweet left foot will give you nightmares...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think if we do dominate the midfield that makes us more susceptible to fast wingers on the counter. Likewise tho, when theyve got the upper hand in midfield, turn it over at your peril or Nicky Colazo's sweet left foot will give you nightmares...

I think we'll have to simply because it falls in with our 'style' of play of possession high press football. I agree it makes us more susceptible but I dont see us sitting back and not doing so.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Think Cahill will start, but line up could be anything this week. My guess is this:

Bouzanis

Chapman    Jakobsen    Rose

Kilkenny

Kamau     Brattan         Caceres      Colazo

Cahill

Fornaroli

SUBS Sozer Muscat Malik Brandan Fitzgerald

Kilkenny to drop into the back 4 in defence much like last week, Kamau and Colazo to effectively make it 4 at the front when in attack. Wouldnt surprise if Brandan. or even Malik started over Caceres. Either way Caceres into the 10 role when Cahill subs off, Fitzy as a late wing sub for whoever is less effective of Nico and Bruce.

That's a pretty strong bench. Plenty of depth this season. 

57 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

So NT have ended boycott. Need to sing extra loud now Melburnians!

I think one of our best performances (as Melburnians) was the Etihad semi-final derby. If you watch a full match replay, we outsung them very well... until we went down 2-0 lol

But the mics never seem to be existent in our regular away end at Etihad derbies so you can't hear much on TV.

Edited by hakz7

40 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

I think one of our best performances (as Melburnians) was the Etihad semi-final derby. If you watch a full match replay, we outsung them very well... until we went down 2-0 lol

But the mics never seem to be existent in our regular away end at Etihad derbies so you can't hear much on TV.

How big is your area this time?

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Lel, the only way Rose gets dropped is if Colazo plays LB.

Muscat will be a chance to replace Chapman but id say unlikely.

Colazo into LB, Muscat at RB, Chapman and Jakobsen at CB. 

Brattan and Kilkenny as the 2 midfielders in the 4231. Kamau and Brandon as the wide players, Fornaroli as striker and Cahill sitting behind.

Muscat to be mostly defensive to allow Colazo more freedom to attack.

Playing a back four is a must IMO.

Fyi on phone so couldn't manage to make a visual representation of the formation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

Brattan and Kilkenny as the 2 midfielders in the 4231. Kamau and Brandon as the wide players, Fornaroli as striker and Cahill sitting behind.

Fyi on phone so couldn't manage to make a visual representation of the formation.

Completely agree thats what it should be. Don't think that will be the case tho.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, malloy said:

Caceres played way too well to justify being dropped though.

idk, either way all of these selection dilemmas are a good thing as it proves we actually have depth now. The biggest challenge is whether JVS actually knows how to best optimise this.

1 minute ago, Nate said:

Caceres played way too well to justify being dropped though.

idk, either way all of these selection dilemmas are a good thing as it proves we actually have depth now. The biggest challenge is whether JVS actually knows how to best optimise this.

Then leave out Cahill and play 433?