Melbourne Football

Michael Jakobsen

GreenSeater

A defender! Amazing. And for two years. If he's joining the squad in Townsville next week maybe he'll be ready for the FFA Cup game.

Also interesting:

Jakobsen had been monitored by City scouts for some time and he was confirmed as a priority when Melbourne City FC Director of Football Michael Petrillo attended a recent scouting summit in Manchester.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Wow, didn't see that coming. Know fuck all about him but his Wikipedia page looks like he's had a decent career so far. He's fairly young (read not 36).

What is his injury record like?

According to Transfermrkt he missed a month with an ankle injury in 2009 but that's it. Good sign!

37 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Firstly im glad we've signed a defender and a visa central defender at that. 

However we'll see what's what come the start of the season. Been a long time since this club got a visa central defender right. 

I thought Wielaert was solid for us until his last season.

When did Jakobsen last play for Denmark?

Edited by SF33

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh solid, but that's it. For me a visa defender must be the difference and should be better than what we've got locally. 

Fair enough. I'd say that at his best, he was probably about Kisnorbo's equal as a centre back here, which I think is pretty decent/not bad for about your fourth best visa player (which is all he ever should have been, really...not his fault that he was much better than some of the other spud foreign players they signed).

However, getting pushed out by Chapman in his last season isn't as crash hot, so over his three (?) years, I think Wielaert probably rates about a 'C' as a signing.

Hope the boy does well. From aan outsider oerspective his pedigree isn't that inspiring. He hasn't played a tonne of football and with him being at the end of his career there is a risk he might not have the pace against nippy forwards. 

He also won't have played in anything near the Aussie climate. Hopefully he gets a good preseason under him.

Edit: I see he played a seasons worth of games in Spain 4-5 years ago.

Edited by Hughesie27

2 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Jakobsen had been monitored by City scouts for some time and he was confirmed as a priority when Melbourne City FC Director of Football Michael Petrillo attended a recent scouting summit in Manchester.

Key point.

Looks a solid enough signing. We have to remember that we can only splash the cash for a maximum of three players, and that all the rest have to comply with the salary cap rules. Jakobsen last played only on 20th August (the final match on 28th August he was on the bench) and that was a full 90 minutes at CB, so he's match fit and ready to go. I'd expect to see him in a City jersey pretty quickly.

Welcome Michael.

Edited by jw1739

There is no way we can play 4 at the back with that defender list. 

Chapman Malik Jackobson

Franjic                                                      Brandan

Brattan Killkenny

Caceras

Tuna/Timmy show

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

There is no way we can play 4 at the back with that defender list. 

Chapman Malik Jackobson

Franjic                                                      Brandan

Brattan Killkenny

Caceras

Tuna/Timmy show

Most games score will look like a set of tennis. Gonna be fun and scary all in one.

What could go wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I think its pretty funny the club are promoting this on email as " we've signed a Danish defender" and "New signing. City welcomes Danish defender" and no mention of who, it is only if you click on the link that you find out his name. 

Click-bait 101

• Like 2