Melbourne Football

Michael Jakobsen

GreenSeater

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Who would've thought taking our best cb from last season,  and playing him in the midfield would be a bad idea? 

Just shocking 

To be honest if he played next to a Kilkenny or Brattan type (who had the attCking game to cover for him) it might be alright but next to malik it’s a disaster 

My back line would be Atkinson, Schenkeveld, Jakobsen and Jamieson. Malik, Kilkenny and Brattan as the midfielders, Fitzgerald, McCormack and Arzani as the forwards.

When you look at the abundance of players we have backing that lot up it's clear that we should be doing a lot better than we are. Tongyik, Genreau, Najjarine, Mauk, Carrusca, Budzinski and Crowley, plus Delbridge to come in, and Bruno to return from injury.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My back line would be Atkinson, Schenkeveld, Jakobsen and Jamieson. Malik, Kilkenny and Brattan as the midfielders, Fitzgerald, McCormack and Arzani as the forwards.

When you look at the abundance of players we have backing that lot up it's clear that we should be doing a lot better than we are. Tongyik, Genreau, Najjarine, Mauk, Carrusca, Budzinski and Crowley, plus Delbridge to come in, and Bruno to return from injury.

Interested to see where Delbridge will fit in. I dont think he would have come to sit on the bench

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

Interested to see where Delbridge will fit in. I dont think he would have come to sit on the bench

Its pretty obvious. 

He will be the missing link in midfield. 

Wazza is going to revolutionize the game. He will become the first to play 3 holding midfielders. Jakobsen Malik and Delbridge in a flat 3 across the back 4. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

and he's gone.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/jakobsen-departs-melbourne-city

Jakobsen departs Melbourne City

Melbourne City FC can announce that Danish defender Michael Jakobsen will depart following two Hyundai A-League seasons with the Club.

Jakobsen, 32, joined Melbourne City on a two-year deal in 2016, making 43 appearances and helped City lift its first-ever men’s trophy, the Westfield FFA Cup in November 2016.

Jakobsen scored his first goal for Melbourne City FC on his debut; an acrobatic a bicycle kick in the second minute of the 2016 FFA Cup quarter final against Western Sydney Wanderers.

We would like to thank Michael for his contribution to our Club and wish him and his family all the very best.

Not really injury prone, more that once injured the recovery gets harder with age. We've had a lot of those in our history.

Well, there's one of our "problems" as alluded to in another thread. We don't keep even our captain for more than two seasons. How can you build a loyal fan-base with our turnover of players?

Sad to see you go Michael. All the very best to you and your family.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not really injury prone, more that once injured the recovery gets harder with age. We've had a lot of those in our history.

Well, there's one of our "problems" as alluded to in another thread. We don't keep even our captain for more than two seasons. How can you build a loyal fan-base with our turnover of players?

Sad to see you go Michael. All the very best to you and your family.

I think the team needing him to play whilst injured was also a factor with him being out in finals. This being because Delbridge wasn't up to scratch and also the stupid points dropped during the season. Jako is the type of person who gives his all for the team and wouldn't sit out a week due to a niggle unless made to.

If he could have taken a week off earlier on, maybe this wouldn't have been in this predicament.

It will hurt seeing him play for another team.

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

I’m afraid this club is like a person  “down on their luck”, they think all their problems are due to “bad luck” but actually 95% of those problems can be traced back to terrible decisions they made.

As I've said elsewhere, we tend to blame everything on CFG and Manchester City, but this shambles over our so-called "Leadership Group" shows up how incompetent our local management team really is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Can someone tell me how many games he missed the season due to injury 

Well he played 43 games. 27 league games per season plus finals and FFA cup say 30 to 35. So say we had 65 games or so he missed just under 20 possible over 2 seasons. Not bad for an older player but obviously some would argue otherwise 

15 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

This season? 

According to Transfermarkt.co.uk he missed just three A-League matches - Round 27 and the two finals.

He missed 11 in 2016/17.

So he played 17 matches in 2016/17 and 26 in 2017/18. Only A-League matches count apparently. FFA Cup matches do not.

Edited by jw1739

6 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Really sad to see him go.  That goal against WSW in the Cup was pure gold.

Wish him all the best.

That said he was injury prone, and his absence during the finals due to injury certainly cost us against Newcastle

Jakobsen - captain - released

Cahill - captain - released

Sorenson - Goalkeeper of the year - released

23 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not really, apart from Paddy, the position has hardly been a vote of confidence, just like Player of the Year. It's up there with 'he has the full backing of the Board'

The only pattern I see is we keep giving the captaincy to old cunts lol 

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

The only pattern I see is we keep giving the captaincy to old cunts lol 

That's half the pattern, the other half is that we then release them. That makes it harder to develop any evolution of culture. If you are going to use the senior players in leadership positions then it's helpful to appoint someone to the position that'll be around for longer than that season