Melbourne Football

Michael Jakobsen

GreenSeater

4 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Touche.

With regards to their internal reporting and updates of any long-term injuries (say, longer than three weeks), for a while I've pretty much taken any official announcement (beyond naming the player in the final lineup on match day) to be somewhere between taking creative licence and deliberately withholding information from supporters and members.

Either Jakobsen was never the slightest chance of playing last week (in which case, they just named him to delay the anger from supporters for another week), or he has had some sort of setback in the past week, which they haven't said a word about.

They tended to focus on Jako in the training video with the 3 youth signings for some fucking reason. It's like they're telling us it's purely selection choice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

IS ALIVE!!!!!!

on sen. just said he's very happy here, lives next to a friendly Argentine named Germano 

Ah that explains alot!

Germano: "Hey Michael, you know you can get paid to sit on the sidelines and get constant massages during the week!"

Jakobsen: injury-leg-soccer-player-benefit-sports-massage.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Interesting choice if true. Last season he almost had a fight on-field with Bouzanis so he'll need to find a way to keep his emotions in check. 

I've always thought Kilkenny would be a good choice, but Jakobsen could be perfect if he 1. stays fit and 2. keeps his head.

Edited by Harrison

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Interesting choice if true. Last season he almost had a fight on-field with Bouzanis so he'll need to find a way to keep his emotions in check. 

I've always thought Kilkenny would be a good choice, but Jakobsen could be perfect if he 1. stays fit and 2. keeps his head.

I thought Killer was uncharacteristically quiet during the match against Oakleigh. In everything, but not mouthing off as he was last season. Perhaps I was ball-watching as always, but that was my impression.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I thought Killer was uncharacteristically quiet during the match against Oakleigh. In everything, but not mouthing off as he was last season. Perhaps I was ball-watching as always, but that was my impression.

I only heard Killer on a couple of occasions, he was a bit quiet , Perhaps it's because the gaffer was directing traffic from the sideline, therefore Killer doesn't have to give the players a kick up the backside

As for Jako for captain, as long as he stays fit, that is the main priority.

Keeping his head is something only he can control

I always prefer a Captain to be a defender or midfielder.

as I've mentioned on previous occasions, Bruno will perform better without the weight of Captaincy on his shoulders

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I only heard Killer on a couple of occasions, he was a bit quiet , Perhaps it's because the gaffer was directing traffic from the sideline, therefore Killer doesn't have to give the players a kick up the backside

As for Jako for captain, as long as he stays fit, that is the main priority.

Keeping his head is something only he can control

I always prefer a Captain to be a defender or midfielder.

as I've mentioned on previous occasions, Bruno will perform better without the weight of Captaincy on his shoulders

I agree, I'm very pleased with this change in captaincy!

Edited by Mr MO

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

Most of the terrace would have felt like punching Bouzanis at times last season

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Michael Jakobsen’s winter regimen has consigned dodgy calf to the history books

Matt Windley

October 19, 2017

A WINTER of sacrifice has consigned Michael Jakobsen’s injury-plagued 2016-17 season to the history books.

Twice laid out by calf injuries — including a seven-game run in the second half of the campaign — Jakobsen missed 11 games to injury last season in what he described as one of the most frustrating years of his career.

Determined not to see history repeat itself, the former Danish international remained in Melbourne during the off-season.

And the results so far, the 31-year-old said, has made the hard slog worth it.

“I didn’t want to be as injured as I was last year,” Jakobsen said.

“This is the first time I have had so many injuries in one year.

“I had a good talk with the physios about what I can do to prevent those injuries.

“I came into the club four times a week during the off-season, doing work with the physios.

“I started to do some pilates, also, which helped a lot, and a lot of good other treatment.”

Jakobsen said last season became a grind at times as he fought to get back to full fitness.

“It’s a lot of hard work,” he said.

“Your rhythm is not there, you don’t perform as well as you should do when you come back, everything takes time.

“I felt like I was letting down the boys too when I wasn’t able to be out there playing. It was a very hard period.”

But this season has started decidedly better, and Jakobsen said he is “feeling amazing”.

Made City’s on-field captain just prior to the season, Jakobsen has played key roles in opening wins against Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory.

The usual central defender has also displayed a versatility not seen last season, used by coach Warren Joyce in left back and defensive midfield positions.

“A couple of weeks before the season I was feeling a bit sore here and there, but then we played Adelaide (in a friendly) and I pulled up amazing.

“I’m really happy, to be honest.

“There’s not a spot on my body where I’m feeling a bit sore. It feels good. It feels like it should.

“Knock on wood I’m hoping it’s going to be like that for the whole season.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/michael-jakobsens-winter-regimen-has-consigned-dodgy-calf-to-the-history-books/news-story/f9442ef09c0e9028f56acf33dc2cb8f9

• Like 1

JAKOBSEN SPEAKS ABOUT HIS MIDFIELD SWITCH

By Clement Tito 

Oct 20 2017 

Melbourne City captain Michael Jakobsen believes he can grow to master the centre-defensive-midfield role.

Jakobsen began his senior career in Europe as a left-back before moving into central defence and played as a centre-back last season for City.

But under new coach Warren Joyce, the Dane reverted as a left-back in City’s 2-0 win over Brisbane but was then tried in centre-defensive-midfield in their 2-1 win in the Melbourne Derby.

Jakobsen admitted it was an unfamiliar role but feels it can improve his awareness on the field.

“To be back as a left-back in the first game, that was easy as I’ve played there many years,” Jakobsen told FourFourTwo.

“As a No.6 I can’t say there’s a lot of minutes for me there, so that was quite new. The more I train in that position then the more comfortable I’ll be.

“It’s new and you see the game in a different way, suddenly you have to watch the people at the back. It’s not what you’re used to in centre-defence where you have everything in front of you most of the time.

“Now you really have to be careful with if you get played in, someone will be on you directly, so you don’t have a lot of time on the ball.

“You need adapt quickly, I’m trying to adapt as quick as I can to the position I’m being thrown in at.”

City take on Wellington Phoenix on Saturday and have a clean bill of health, including last week’s exclusions, Luke Brattan and Neil Kilkenny, now available for selection. Osama Malik is also available.

Joyce said Jakobsen had the ability to master the No.6 role and would have no problems continuing to play the Dane there.

“He can play 1v1 in a variety of positions and I think he fits into that category,” Joyce said on Friday.

“I think if he’d been brought here as a midfielder, people would have looked to him and said ‘he’s not a bad signing’.

“He’s strong, powerful and gone against one of the best midfields in this country - Melbourne Victory. He’s given a good account of himself last week, so it’s another good thing for the club we’ve got a player capable of doing it.”

Joyce also appointed Jakobsen as the captain for this season as former skipper Bruno Fornaroli is out with an ankle injury from the FFA Cup.

Jakobsen said he was enjoying but admits it was a seamless transition because of the maturity in the squad.

“It’s a decision Warren made, I’m proud of that and I’m taking the responsibility and well as I can,” he said.

“This year we have a lot of players who have taken responsibility in the team so it’s quite easy to be honest. We have a lot of good leaders in the squad so it makes everything easier on and off the pitch, so I’m really happy with the setup this year.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/jakobsen-speaks-about-his-midfield-switch-475860

I'm really confused with the Gaffer's thoughts on Jako.

i expected him to be the first choice centre back this year and I thought that was confirmed when he was made captain.

Instead though it looks like he's 3rd choice centre back and thus he's playing as a fill in in random positions, which is not normally the fate of a captain at season's start.

• Like 1

We're in a rare situation where we have the perfect players to play a back 3 with Bort and Jako beside La Rocca, with both RCB & LCB comfortable on carrying the ball out of defence and starting the attack. Instead Joyce is trying to fit square pegs in round holes to suit his system.

I think Joyce has a big choice to make with what we do with jakobsen, I personally don't think we can play both him and Malik in same midfield, there is a lack of creativity there. But I also don't think we should split up Bart and larocca, one goal from 3 games and arguably our 2 best players 

I think the obvious answer is to bench Malik, but he doesn't deserve to go there either

Amazing situation were in here 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

We're in a rare situation where we have the perfect players to play a back 3 with Bort and Jako beside La Rocca, with both RCB & LCB comfortable on carrying the ball out of defence and starting the attack. Instead Joyce is trying to fit square pegs in round holes to suit his system.

I think this was Wazzas original plan. We tried it in the first half against Sydney in the cup but fucked it massively and has been shelved since and probably never to been seen again.