Melbourne Football

W-League 2016-17 season

Kinnibari

The 2016-17 fixture is out. We have 6 home games, two of which are at AAMI, plus an away game against Victory at Epping. First round is at home on November 6, which is nice.

Melbourne City fixture:

Round 1 - Newcastle Jets, Sunday 6 November, 2016. Kick-off 5:00pm (H)

Round 2 - Canberra United, Saturday 12 Novermber, 2016. Kick-off 3:05pm (A)

Round 3 - bye

Round 4 - Melbourne Victory, Sunday 27 November, 2016. Kick-off 2:30pm (H) (at AAMI)

Round 5 - Brisbane Roar, Sunday 4 December, 2016. Kick-off 5pm (A)

Round 6 - Canberra United, Saturday 10 November, 2016. Kick-off 5pm (H)

Round 7 - Western Sydney Wanderers, Sunday 18 December, 2016. Kick-off 3pm (A)

Round 8 - Perth Glory, Tuesday 27 December, 2016. Kick-off 5:20pm (H) (at AAMI)

Round 9 - bye

Round 10 - Adelaide United, Monday 2 January, 2017. Kick-off 5pm (H)

Round 11 - Sydney FC, Sunday 8 January, 2017. Kick-off 4pm (A)

Round 12 - Melbourne Victory, Sunday 16 January, 2017. Kick-off 4pm (A) (at Epping)

Round 13 - Brisbane Roar, Sunday 22 January 2017, Kick-off 5pm (H)

Round 14 - Newcastle Jets, Friday 27 January 2017, Kick-off 5:20pm (A)

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Updated the original post with our games. Various points of note:

Double headers at AAMI:

• Sunday 27 November at AAMI Park v Melbourne Victory at 2.30pm (followed by City v Wellington men at 5.00pm)
  • Tuesday 27 December v Perth at AAMI Park at 5.20pm (followed by City v Perth men at 7.50pm)

Televised rounds:

Away:

• Saturday 12 November away to Canberra United at 3.05pm
  • Sunday 8 January away to Sydney at 2.30pm

Home (both double headers at AAMI):

• Sunday 27 November v Victory at 2.30pm
  • Tuesday 27 December v Perth at 5.20pm 

Finals series:

• Semi-finals on the 4th and 5th of February
  • Grand final on Sunday the 12th of February
Edited by Kinnibari
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So still no full squad announcement. I wish I were more surprised. This club, I swear.

Some announcements: "inaugural W-League players Catley, Melina Ayres, Olivia Ellis and Tyla-Jay Vlajnic [have committed] to the 2016/17 campaign, while Tiegen Allen has also signed on." Also Cately is our captain for this season. 

Did anyone go to the family day? Who was there from the wleague side?

On 9/25/2016 at 11:41 PM, Kinnibari said:

So still no full squad announcement. I wish I were more surprised. This club, I swear.

Some announcements: "inaugural W-League players Catley, Melina Ayres, Olivia Ellis and Tyla-Jay Vlajnic [have committed] to the 2016/17 campaign, while Tiegen Allen has also signed on." Also Cately is our captain for this season. 

Did anyone go to the family day? Who was there from the wleague side?

How do you want us to do this? Create a separate thread for the "W-League Squad 2016-17"  much like the "Player Contracts" elsewhere?

So far, according to the club web-site, we have (in alphabetical order):

Tegan Allen
Melina Ayres
Steph Catley (C)
Olivia Ellis
Tyla-Jay Vlajnic

I don't know much about positions etc. so feel free to start a thread if you wish to.

• 4 weeks later...

Season launch was held this week. Couple of points: 

With the talent comes an increase in cost, with the collective spend on contracts set to exceed $1 million for the first time in W-League history as teams look to gain ground on City after they finished 10 points clear of second placed Canberra United and won the grand final 4-1 against Sydney.

It's a good feeling to be settling the benchmark.

(Of course another reason that the spend has gone up is that for the first time all players are being paid...

"Amateur players will now receive an allowance in line with male National Youth League (NYL) and state competitions - between $60 and $150 a week". http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/unpaid-wleague-players-finally-get-deal-20161024-gs969o.html)

Catley was there, gave an injury update: 

#WLeague @stephcatley "The body's getting there, it's been a long rehab from a foot and hamstring injury. I got my first minutes Saturday"

https://www.twitter.com/WLeague/status/792902408200335360

Edited by Kinnibari

Good article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/03/w-league-2016-17-preview-overseas-armada-new-level

Short extract:

In the history of the W-League there has never been such a flagrant display of dominance as Melbourne City’s dramatic entrance last season.

Whereas traditional powerhouses Sydney FC, Brisbane (née Queensland) Roar and Canberra United once seemingly pre-caucused to decide who among them would receive the trophies each season, in 2015-16 the pedigree sides were obliterated. In an opening display so brutal it belonged in 1930s German theatre City put six goals past a hapless Sydney and over the following weeks four more past both Brisbane and Canberra. 

When the landscape of a league changes so seismically often of more interest is the subsequent reaction. And while Canberra United have responded ominously, the biggest reaction has come not from the usual suspects, but from less fancied clubs around the league.

SBS preview: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/11/04/w-league-season-9-preview-all-you-need-know-about-every-club

Women's Game preview: http://thewomensgame.com/2016/11/season-9-preview-melbourne-city/

Edited by Kinnibari

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ecguymer said:

we aren't looking as dominate so far this year, but Crummer has been out injured since before the season started so that might change things. Most of the other teams have improved from last year

Good.. If it was just us even trying it would be rather pointless :lol:
You want clubs to compete against.

Well, we've now beaten 2 of the biggest threats in the league in away matches; with Sydney being in second position through mostly easy early rounds (wins to WSW, Victory, Adelaide and Newcastle, who are 7th, 9th, 8th and 6th respectively; and a loss to Brisbane), not having faced us yet and not having a bye yet; I suspect the biggest threat that we are yet to face is Perth....and we've done all of this without a key striker (Crummer) who's been injured since the start of the season....

8 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

The streak continues! Went behind in the second minute but then scored two more in the first half to win.

That is, in fact, the first time that the women's team has EVER gone behind in a (competitive) game.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ecguymer said:

....well, Canberra are probs favourites to win now......

Edit: I wonder if having to be an assistant under JVS is getting to Montemurro......

JVS is obviously teaching Montemurro

Edited by haz

THB I think that the girls losing a few is probably a good thing - not for them or their loyal supporters - but to wake the club up again. Make them realise that they're going to have to work just as hard on the women's side of the club as they need to on the men's.

• 2 weeks later...

Idiot, if you didn't watch the game, what worth is your comment ffs.

I thought the City girls played some really nice stuff at times, way ahead of the opposition, athleticism let them down sometimes, but I have never seen the girls play such nice passing game before and how was that overhead goal!

11 minutes ago, moops said:

Idiot, if you didn't watch the game, what worth is your comment ffs.

I thought the City girls played some really nice stuff at times, way ahead of the opposition, athleticism let them down sometimes, but I have never seen the girls play such nice passing game before and how was that overhead goal!

from what i saw of the game, "idiot"

Bit of a mini crisis going on. I think the biggest issue is we lack a cutting edge. Need Crummer back and another CB or play Barns at CB

Williams

Allen                Barnes       Alleway                 Stott

Luik

Fishlock           Tymrack

Yanes                          Crummer                         Aires

Or

Allen                 New CB         Alleway             Stott

Barnes 

Luik               Fishlock

Yanez                          Crummer                       Tymrack

Another issue is that we dont move the ball fast enough which is probably the best way to counter a counter attacking team when you are a possession based team. Move the ball, get the opposition running around and you open up holes. 

Edited by Dylan

On 12/29/2016 at 7:35 AM, Dylan said:

Bit of a mini crisis going on. I think the biggest issue is we lack a cutting edge. Need Crummer back and another CB or play Barns at CB

Williams

Allen                Barnes       Alleway                 Stott

Luik

Fishlock           Tymrack

Yanes                          Crummer                         Aires

Or

Allen                 New CB         Alleway             Stott

Barnes 

Luik               Fishlock

Yanez                          Crummer                       Tymrack

Another issue is that we dont move the ball fast enough which is probably the best way to counter a counter attacking team when you are a possession based team. Move the ball, get the opposition running around and you open up holes. 

Sounds like the mens team.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic