Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016: Quarter-final v. WSW Wed 21 Sep 7.30pm AAMI Park

jw1739

Melbourne City vs Western Sydney Wanderers, AAMI Park, Wednesday 21st of September @ 7.30pm AEST.

Sportsbet Odds.

Melbourne City: $2.30

Western Sydney Wanderers: $2.75

Anything worth a punt on? – Nothing jumping off the page. Not awful value in both teams scoring at $1.53, only 7 of City’s 29 games finished last year with both teams not getting on the scoresheet.

Last time they met: An odd 4-3 loss to City up in Sydney where Fornaroli and Novillo scored two of the better goals in a season of stunners, also showed our defensive frailties, with an early injury to Patrick Kisnorbo going off early leaving a central defensive pairing of Clisby and Malik who looked all at sea for 80+ minutes

Last season’s results: WSW 4:3 MCY (Novillo, Fornaroli, Paartalu)    29.01.2016

MCY 2:3 WSW (Novillo x2, Fornaroli)              09.01.2016

MCY 0:3 WSW (City end linesman -1)             13.11.2015     

Team News.

Melbourne City: This will be a test for Melbourne City defensively. Having been unconvincing at the back so far in pre-season, a good showing here is an absolute must. One of Chapman or Malik is likely to be replaced by recent addition Michael Jakobsen and will add much needed steel to the heart of defence he’s also scored against Manchester United, which is now presumably looked at as a bad omen by Melbourne City support). Jakobsen last played for previous club Lillestrom on the 20th of August and is yet to appear in City colors, though he’s likely to in fair shape as the Norwegian season runs March-November. It’ll also see the staring debut of Tim Cahill, confirmed as Adrian Caceras took the field with the juniors against Newcastle on the weekend. Nicolas Colazo will likely be in Melbourne by the time kick off rolls around, but he won’t be starting. Ivan Franjic resumed training this week and will hopefully be up for selection sooner, rather than later. City experimented with three at the back against North Queensland and JVS has used it before, but without Colazo and Franjic at his disposal I’d suggest it’s not going to happen just yet.

Possible Starting 11.

Sorenson

Muscat Chapman Jakobsen Rose

Kilkenny Brattan

Kamou Cahill Fitzgerald

Fornaroli.

Western Sydney Wanderers: The Wanderers have had a good off season so far, winning both FFA Cup games (a squeaker against Wellington and a regulation 5-1 against Edgeworth) as well as all their pre-season games including a tour of Japan. They’ve lost their central midfielder pairing for Alberto and Andreu but will be looking for Japanese mid Jumpei Kusukami to fill the gap made by the Spainiards as well as Nicolas Martinez, who spent last year on loan at a mid-table team in Cyprus, but now finds himself as the Wanderers Marquee man. Kerem Bulut and Jerrad Tyson are back for another go while City duo Clisby and Melling haven’t feature heavily so far this pre-season. Youngster Lachlan Scott has looked good up front in the two FFA cup games for the Wanderers so far.

Possible Starting 11:

Redmayne

Hammill Topor-Stanley Aspropotamitis Neville

Lustica Dimas  Nichols Baccus

Scott    Bulut 

Prediction: Melbourne City 3-2 WSW. Call me eternally optimal

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, neio said:

The Japanese bloke looked quite handy in their last Ffa cup game,  I'd be surprised if he didn't start.  Also I'd imagine cornthwaite will start of fit

For us, I think we will go 3-5-2, only because muscat also played on Sunday 

Wouldn't be amazed if we did line up 3-5-2, just not sure the cattle is there yet without Franjic and Colazo.

I think we'll have a crack at 3-5-2 purely because Muscat did play Sunday, and due to how square we were getting caught in the Brisbane game. Brandan and Kamau to fill the spots. Perhaps 

Sorensen

Chapman Jakobsen Rose

Brandan Kilkenny Brattan Malik Kamau

Cahill Fornaroli

Edited by bt50

Isn't it against the law to say the cost of a ticket is $10 when there is no free ticket delivery option? In other words, shouldn't it be advertised as 14.65 since that's the cheapest you can get it for?

I don't care bout $5, just this sort of stuff shits me and AFAIK any unavoidable extra fees have to be included in advertised price.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 6

Just now, Tesla said:

Isn't it against the law to say the cost of a ticket is $10 when there is no free ticket delivery option? In other words, shouldn't it be advertised as 14.95 since that's the cheapest you can get it for?

I don't care bout $5, just this sort of stuff shits me and AFAIK any unavoidable extra fees have to be included in advertised price.

I think you can buy on the gate and not have to pay additional fees?

11 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Isn't it against the law to say the cost of a ticket is $10 when there is no free ticket delivery option? In other words, shouldn't it be advertised as 14.65 since that's the cheapest you can get it for?

https://www.accc.gov.au/publications/advertising-selling/advertising-and-selling-guide/pricing/component-pricing

• Like 1

As far as I can see you pay $5.65 to collect a pre-paid ticket at the venue or other outlet. What happens if you are a walk-up on the night I don't know - possibly no extra fee?

Just looking at the guidelines and at the Ticketek site I'd say they just get away with it. It would all depend on the interpretation of the word "prominent." Also I'll guess that they would hide behind the extra charge being a transaction charge and not a charge per ticket.

I know this is thread is for the FFA Cup, but I couldn't find any thread yet for our Round 1 Match

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/wellington-phoenix-to-lose-at-least-six-players-at-various-times-of-season-due-to-international-fixtures/news-story/5b18a7c6f3df4cef7b45bc0502c1998a

WELLINGTON Phoenix’s A-League season will be severely compromised with international duty set to rob them of star players for no less than four rounds.

New Zealand players Kosta Barbarouses, Michael McGlinchey, Louis Fenton, Glen Moss and Matthew Ridenton and Fiji star Roy Krishna are among the players who’ll miss regular games this season with a crowded Oceania fixture list.

Melbourne City will be the first beneficiary of an understrength Phoenix, with Ernie Merrick’s side set to miss at least five players in the Round 1 clash on October 8.

City is likely to be without Tim Cahill, who’s almost certain to be on Socceroos duty, while the Phoenix internationals may struggle to be available for the round 2 trip to Perth (October 16) as they return from an away double-header against Mexico and USA (October 8 and 12).
Michael McGlinchey is one of the Kiwi international stars who the Phoenix will miss at various times during the season.

New Zealand then plays Oceania World Cup qualifiers in November (New Caledonia) and March (Fiji), where more players will be called upon if the All-Whites’ European stars aren’t available.

A previous rule allowing Phoenix to sign replacements has been changed, leaving Merrick to rely on the back end of his wafer-thin squad.

It’s understood that Phoenix submitted a request to FFA to have the City clash moved to the split round in March.

Merrick confirmed that he was set to lose players for the opening week of the season.

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

When you offer them compensation for lost tv revenue 

Compensation???

Are you serious. 

Playing fringe players when all the best players are playing for their national teams will definitely boost ratings and get extra people through the gate. These international fixtures are set years in advance surely a proper League can fixture accordingly. FFS even the second tier in England has an international break. 

Just plain stupidity. 

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

No international break for the League is an absolute joke and an embarrassment. When will these Muppets at the FFA start to run this League like a proper professional elite competition. 

Absolutely. Have a round or two in December with games most nights of the week. Have a look at the coverage and buzz yhe Big Bash got by playing week nights in summer

I think ideally once we expand a bit more we'll start the season at he conclusion of the AFL Home & Away, then international breaks can be factored in. Although in saying that, we miss out on Cahill and then Wellington are the only other team affected at this stage so is it really worth it? Once the league starts losing a significant number of stars then they have to act, but at this stage the end doesnt justify the means.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think ideally once we expand a bit more we'll start the season at he conclusion of the AFL Home & Away, then international breaks can be factored in. Although in saying that, we miss out on Cahill and then Wellington are the only other team affected at this stage so is it really worth it? Once the league starts losing a significant number of stars then they have to act, but at this stage the end doesnt justify the means.

I would rather we ran further into the winter than ran through AFL and NRL (lol) finals, its worth noting the Rugby Championship is on at the moment too. Sepetember would ruin attendances in the a-league, I would rather they ran into May/June.

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I would rather we ran further into the winter than ran through AFL and NRL (lol) finals, its worth noting the Rugby Championship is on at the moment too. Sepetember would ruin attendances in the a-league, I would rather they ran into May/June.

I actually disagree tbh. Sure it might impact headlines and coverage a little, although if they launch the season in the bye before finals (assuming it stays) that would be the perfect platform. I actually think with 10 teams out of the finals in the AFL theres a whole stack of people looking for something to do. There's always between 4-6 of those clubs that are Victorian as well.

And fwiw, you cant lol the NRL finals and follow up with the Rugby Championship. Is that just the super 15 or some other tournament that nobody cares about? :P

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I actually disagree tbh. Sure it might impact headlines and coverage a little, although if they launch the season in the bye before finals (assuming it stays) that would be the perfect platform. I actually think with 10 teams out of the finals in the AFL theres a whole stack of people looking for something to do. There's always between 4-6 of those clubs that are Victorian as well.

And fwiw, you cant lol the NRL finals and follow up with the Rugby Championship. Is that just the super 15 or some other tournament that nobody cares about? :P

Half of them were at the Bulldogs v Hawks game last Friday it seems, even if people's teams aren't playing there is still a high level of interest in finals football.

The Rugby Championship is the internationals between Aus, NZ, SA and Argentina. They get very healthy crowds.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Can see your point but that is a big if.  

Particularly where there hasn't been that distinctive weekend available at the end of the afl season.

I'm a bigger fan of going deeper into May / June since it aligns us better with (a.) Europe so "Euro Snobs" can see the best of local talent when their preferred league is about to finish (giving them something of decent quality to think about over the close season), (b.) It ties us better in with Asian Champions League group stage - allow teams more match experience albeit at the risk of travel commitments, and (c.) AFL and NRL are and will always be finals oriented - something that plays into the Sydney and Melbourne dominated media far too well

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

Compensation???

Are you serious. 

Playing fringe players when all the best players are playing for their national teams will definitely boost ratings and get extra people through the gate. These international fixtures are set years in advance surely a proper League can fixture accordingly. FFS even the second tier in England has an international break. 

Just plain stupidity. 

Just the one Aussie player selected. in future we'll be lucky if there's any at all considering the talent coming through and moving overseas

New Zealands predicament doesn't count  

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas Sorensen (gk), 2.Manny Muscat, 3.Josh Rose, 4.Connor Chapman, 6.Osama Malik, 8.Neil Kilkenny, 11.Bruce Kamau, 12.Nick Fitzgerald, 14.Daniel Arzani, 17.Tim Cahill, 18.Paulo Retre, 20.Dean Bouzanis (gk), 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22.Michael Jakobsen, 23.Bruno Fornaroli, 26.Luke Brattan, 28.Steve Kuzmanovski, 29.Anthony Caceres, 27.Fernando Brandan, 34.Denis Genreau, 36.Austin Wong, 35.Bradley Clarke, 30.Connor Metcalfe, 37.Yusuf Ahmed, 38.Jordon Hall 

19 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas Sorensen (gk), 2.Manny Muscat, 3.Josh Rose, 4.Connor Chapman, 6.Osama Malik, 8.Neil Kilkenny, 11.Bruce Kamau, 12.Nick Fitzgerald, 14.Daniel Arzani, 17.Tim Cahill, 18.Paulo Retre, 20.Dean Bouzanis (gk), 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22.Michael Jakobsen, 23.Bruno Fornaroli, 26.Luke Brattan, 28.Steve Kuzmanovski, 29.Anthony Caceres, 27.Fernando Brandan, 34.Denis Genreau, 36.Austin Wong, 35.Bradley Clarke, 30.Connor Metcalfe, 37.Yusuf Ahmed, 38.Jordon Hall 

That's 25 players. 

12 hours ago, haz said:

I know this is thread is for the FFA Cup, but I couldn't find any thread yet for our Round 1 Match

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

No international break for the League is an absolute joke and an embarrassment. When will these Muppets at the FFA start to run this League like a proper professional elite competition. 

Foetal position, thumb in mouth, cold sweat pouring down my forehead, flashback to when Melbourne Heart could not defeat a second string Phoenix side - at AAMI - because 8 of their starting XI (IIRC) were on national duties.