Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016: Quarter-final v. WSW Wed 21 Sep 7.30pm AAMI Park

jw1739

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

On a Wednesday night? I guess they don't have jobs but isn't centrelink payments on a Thursday?

Wednesday night means nothing too these Full Time Ultras... also means nothing to those in Melbourne who hate City but love to hang outside Stadiums when City are playing games.

16 minutes ago, wfc_10 said:

In terms of decent local grounds, can only think of Hume City's ground in Westmeadows, or Bentleigh's at Kingston Heath... 

Heidelberg provides the best atmosphere by far out of the local grounds and gives supporters a decent view... 

Won't matter where it is unless we fix our defence. And I can't see that happening in the time between now and then. Any overseas players who aren't here by now aren't going to be settled and match fit by the time the match is played. Why we FU our squad like this every season is beyond me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Won't matter where it is unless we fix our defence. And I can't see that happening in the time between now and then. Any overseas players who aren't here by now aren't going to be settled and match fit by the time the match is played. Why we FU our squad like this every season is beyond me.

I believe Steven Gray is still in Australia... perhaps this could be our answer. 

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Every season is the same.

(Insert that Einstein quote about madness)

18 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

He wants to watch Cahill

I don't really understand why Tim is such a big draw card all of a sudden. I've probably seen him play for the national team a half dozen times at least and it's never felt like the crowd was there for him.

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:25 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

I think as a once a season FFA novelty a suburban/ regional trip is a bit of fun. I get that its an unpopular opinion and I don't have a family etc. to worry about getting to the game.

Practically speaking AAMI is the best choice, I just wouldn't mind it being played elsewhere for selfish reasons.

Speaking of being selfish, somewhere closer to Geelong would be nice just so i dont have to travel hours to and from the game.

tickets out today, no freebies for members 
General Public ticket prices start from $20 for Adults, $10 for juniors and $50 for families (2 Adult and 2 juniors). 
City members will receive a discount of up to 50% on general public ticket prices by entering a promotion code when pre-purchasing tickets. No ticket limits apply for this fixture, so bring along your family and friends! 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Last season was included in the season ticket.

Not wanting to sound like a whinging bastard but......

Personally, I would rank a quarter final against WSW a level higher than a round of 32 game against Wellington so I can see why they've done it.

I would consider free entry to be the norm against anyone outside of top tier opposition.

FWIW here is my subjective tiers of importance

Tier 1

Victory, WSW, Sydney

Tier 2

Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane

Tier 3

CCM, Newcastle, Nux

49 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Personally, I would rank a quarter final against WSW a level higher than a round of 32 game against Wellington so I can see why they've done it.

I would consider free entry to be the norm against anyone outside of top tier opposition.

FWIW here is my subjective tiers of importance

Tier 1

Victory, WSW, Sydney

Tier 2

Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane

Tier 3

CCM, Newcastle, Nux

I'd say derbies are a tier all to themselves. We get roughly twice as many attendees at those games as we do for a game against anyone else.

It seems like an opportunity lost to me. Even though $10 is cheap, I think it would have been a great gesture to open the gates for signed up members and it would have given us a much better opportunity to get a decent crowd. As it is, I think we'd be looking at about 5,000, absolute tops.

Just now, SF33 said:

I'd say derbies are a tier all to themselves. We get roughly twice as many attendees at those games as we do for a game against anyone else.

It seems like an opportunity lost to me. Even though $10 is cheap, I think it would have been a great gesture to open the gates for signed up members and it would have given us a much better opportunity to get a decent crowd. As it is, I think we'd be looking at about 5,000, absolute tops.

I think the Cahill factor shouldn't be underestimated on this one. Could go either way I would expect closer to 10 than 5 though.

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I think the Cahill factor shouldn't be underestimated on this one. Could go either way I would expect closer to 10 than 5 though.

Yeah, I think it will be interesting to see how many we draw for sure. I don't think it's been marketed too heavily so far and I doubt I'd know about it if I wasn't a City member (granted they've got over two weeks before kick off). Wednesday night is difficult as well...Cahill notwithstanding, I think you need everything going in your favour to get a big crowd for a September mid-week game, because you can probably forget about any club's visitors (besides Victory) turning up in big numbers.

My concern would be that the team puts on a show, looks outstanding and mops the floor with WSW, but then they show the highlights videos and potential members notice the rows of empty seats as much as Fornaroli and Cahill, whereas maybe they fill the bottom tier, if they open the gate. It's tough to get enthused about a team that looks like it's playing in front of an empty stadium.

In fairness, the price isn't going to be the difference between me going or not going (more so the mid-week CBF/just watch it on TV factor), so maybe everyone else is like me and the cost won't make much difference.

39 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Why are they only releasing one side of the stadium again?

IMO you will find that they release section by section depending on ticket sales. The more sections are opened the higher the costs of cleaning up afterwards.
Against Wellington they opened Level 1 West and entry was via Gate 7 and they opened Level 1 West. This year it looks like Level 1 East because entry is via Gate 2.