Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016: Quarter-final v. WSW Wed 21 Sep 7.30pm AAMI Park

jw1739

6 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

But you still prefer Kilkenny even when you are underwhelmed by him. In which ways does Kilkenny provide a better fit to our team than Caceres? I've been to a couple of our pre season games and I'm convinced that caceres has been our most consistent player while Kilkenny has been a passenger. Can you explain to me why you still think Kilkenny is more appropriate than caceres?

Not as underwhelmed as i have been by Caceres and I've seen a much better sample size of him than our delicious Irish beverage friend. As phantomfortress explained re fitting into the team and as for Caceres being our most consistent in pre-season, well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but i dont agree. Again sample size is probably two ordinary FFA Cup games against noone opposition and a friendly in Ballarat when noone else played so meh.

3 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's about balance. Kilkenny does a job which is to break up the oppositions play, run around lots and let Brattan be fat but pass well. Caceres doesn't do this and it would leave Brattan and our defence exposed allowing the opposition to boss the midfield 

I totally disagree with your perception of football but I respect your opinion. In my team Caceres will play and Kilkenny would be on the bench or the stand.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not as underwhelmed as i have been by Caceres and I've seen a much better sample size of him than our delicious Irish beverage friend. As phantomfortress explained re fitting into the team and as for Caceres being our most consistent in pre-season, well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but i dont agree. Again sample size is probably two ordinary FFA Cup games against noone opposition and a friendly in Ballarat when noone else played so meh.

Thanks to a goal by Caceres is that we're still in the comp

17 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I totally disagree with your perception of football but I respect your opinion. In my team Caceres will play and Kilkenny would be on the bench or the stand.

As much as it pains me, i think looking back at tards a couple of seasons ago with valeri and milligan and you get a better template of what we're doing. 

Kilkenny and Brattan are much better than those two with added bonus of Brattan's better passing and shooting/ free kicks... leaves less reliance on a CAM. Caceres could play that, but you would honestly rather what we did on Wednesday; play cahill there and then move brandan into CAM and bring on another relentless winger...

25 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I agree that caceres is a good player, but not sure if kilkenny is the right comparison. Maybe a Brattan type role would be more suited. A good problem to have if choosing between the 2 as both are good distributors of the ball with Brattan having quicker vision from what I saw. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rass said:

As much as it pains me, i think looking back at tards a couple of seasons ago with valeri and milligan and you get a better template of what we're doing. 

Kilkenny and Brattan are much better than those two with added bonus of Brattan's better passing and shooting/ free kicks... leaves less reliance on a CAM. Caceres could play that, but you would honestly rather what we did on Wednesday; play cahill there and then move brandan into CAM and bring on another relentless winger...

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell Kilkenny and Brattan are better than Valeri and Milligan. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's about balance. Kilkenny does a job which is to break up the oppositions play, run around lots and let Brattan be fat but pass well. Caceres doesn't do this and it would leave Brattan and our defence exposed allowing the opposition to boss the midfield 

Because someone has to stop the oppo before they get near our defence!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Bratten is a "6" and Kilkenny a "5", in the old language.  Which is ok if we are controlling a game.  I can't see having both of them if we are chasing a game.  Bratten has 4 career goals to his name, and OTOH he isn't an assist king either.  Likewise with kilkenny. 

I think the thinking is that the wide players will be the ones supplying and finding space in dangerous areas and the 2 holding players are the anchors. But chasing a game your right you'd have to drop one. 

I don't think scoring will be our concern but if Kilkenny and Brattan screen well and allow the fullbacks to bomb we will be hard to play against. 

It's leading more and more to a fluid mobile system which is very interesting. 

• Like 1

City for the cup?

By the quality we showed on Wednesday evening then yes, however consistency needs to prevail first. I assume we may be facing an a-league outfit in the semis being either shitney or tards (thats if they beat Bentleigh). A home semi would certainly be scrumptious though.

11 hours ago, Thiem said:

City for the cup?

By the quality we showed on Wednesday evening then yes, however consistency needs to prevail first. I assume we may be facing an a-league outfit in the semis being either shitney or tards (thats if they beat Bentleigh). A home semi would certainly be scrumptious though.

Inb4 JVS plays a youth squad when we draw Sydney away

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong @Jovan and @thisphantomfortress I'm not saying they cant be a lethal and really good (top 2/3) mid combo in the game, but comparing them to Mark Milligan (51 caps and current socceroo) and Carl Valeri (52 Caps) I dont think we have the much better combo... if we can win 2 or 3 trophies I'll absolutely come around to making that statement !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think the thinking is that the wide players will be the ones supplying and finding space in dangerous areas and the 2 holding players are the anchors. But chasing a game your right you'd have to drop one. 

I don't think scoring will be our concern but if Kilkenny and Brattan screen well and allow the fullbacks to bomb we will be hard to play against. 

It's leading more and more to a fluid mobile system which is very interesting. 

Yup, exactly.