Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016: Quarter-final v. WSW Wed 21 Sep 7.30pm AAMI Park

jw1739

Strider's "three things I learnt this game":

1. Fornaroli and Cahill hump each other after trainings 

2. Calozo is a motherfucking tank

3. Dumb cunt row MM above Melburnians active area does not shut the fuck up. Your Mrs has an ugly ass underbite too cunt. I'll fuck her in front of you, fucking cuckboy. You and your 3 mates shut the fuck up before I finger bang all your mothersreceived_10207285652884297.jpeg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Word is going around in the city facebook group that a handful of guys tried to start a couple of wsw fans at halftime while they were having a smoko outside.

ICE return confirmed??

I was there I can confirm @Hackett tried to start a fight with @Hackett

16 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

What was the crowd? Looked good in stream, good performance by the Melburnians also..

I thought we were shit TBH. But that being said it was a Wednesday, everyone is tired from work and nobody was drunk. 

• Like 5

Crowd looked around 5k.

Looked pretty slick for the first 10 minutes. Lost composure later on in the first half but sorted it out and demolished them through the midfield. A few more games together and our forwards and mids will start to really click.

Exciting times ahead if our backline holds up, though Jakobsen looks a cut above. 

Very impressive display overall from the whole squad. We played with great fluidity and controlled the game from the opening whistle. The most important and exciting thing to come from this game was the passion and hunger we played with from the opening whistle. From the offset we were harassing and closing off the ball and this continued throughout which is key to any good defensive side. We were winning the ball in dangerous areas because we were closing down well from the front and we were able to have possession in good areas moving them from side to side with effective possession. Any average team can become a very difficult team to beat if they play with hunger and passion, we are a quality team and if we can continue this hunger and passion will absolutely dominate this season. Overall our new players were fantastic and undoubtedly we are a much stronger squad then last season. 

Its funny to see the motivation levels and quality of performance compared to our last FFA cup match on a poor pitch against an NPL side. People need to take into account the emotional arousal levels and context of the game before making future judgements. The standard of the pitch can also not be understated for a team like ourselves trying to play football, especially when you are trying to break deep lying teams down with quick passing on a poor pitch as we were in previous FFA cup games. 

We played a 3-1-2-3-1 in attack with Malik playing very deep lying and dropping in sometimes to allow Chapman and Rose to split and play as fullbacks. In defence he would often transition quickly into CB and into a 4-5-1. This formation was devastating in allowing us to control the game from the offset but it is imperative in a system like this to defend and press from the front otherwise we will be exposed in transition. 

Player Ratings:

Sorenson-6: Needs to sweep higher based on the tactics. Needs to improve his play with his feet as he looks a little shaky with his passes sometimes. 

Chapman- 7: Did his job very well, looked comfortable throughout and like Rose didn't have anyone get beyond him down the by line. Think he is important to this squad with his size, pace and defensive abilities. 

Jacobson- 8.5: Absolutely brilliant performance. Passing and switching is immense, marshalled and covered well. Reminds me of Zwaansvick and with that scissor will be pushing Fornaroli for goal of the season already!

Rose- 7: Did his job well defensively, nothing to fault from his game. Muscat will be on his and Chapmans toes followed by Franjic which is going to keep them all having to perform to keep their spot. 

Malik- 6.5: Did his job covering well and having a presence in that defensive midfield position and moving between CB and CDM well in attack allowing us to play out effectively. Think he is far superior to Brattan at this position however think he still has to look at his positioning in defence when he slots into CB. Caught ball watching for the goal so loses .5.

Brattan- 7.5: Did his job pressing, rotating and passing well. Was a big part of our first goal. Very good set pieces. Definitely shouldn't be compared to Mooy as his replacement as he isn't aggressive in his attacking play and movements. Will be a key cog for us. 

Kilkenny- 6: Yet to really show much. Passing a little off and didn't impose himself in attack or defence. Will be a Valeri type player but more box to box. Would like to see more from him. 

Kamau- 7: Tireless performance with some good combination play and some good individual take ons. He looks a good option on the wing and tracked back well. Looked to have a good partnership with Chapman and from memory got an assist. 

Cahill- 8.5: Perfect performance from Cahill leading from the front. Can feel his influence and aura already. Pressed from the front and had very good link up with Fornaroli in attack. Will score us minimum 10+ goals and be a good leader. Goal and assist on proper debut. Will miss him when he goes with Socceroos. 

Brendan- 7: Good all round performance, defending well from the front and really putting a good effort in. Looked very comfortable on the ball and looked more comfortable when he moved into the attacking midfield position. Looking forward to seeing more from him. 

Fornaroli- 7: Good performance from Fornaroli but he has set very high expectations for himself. Combined well in attack with Cahill in particular but was an ever present threat throughout. 

Subs- Colazo-7 : Reminds me of Greizeman looking at him early on. Cant take too much but he got a secondary assist and looks like he is going to have a strong cross. Very excited to see more from him. 

Retre- 6: Came on late, did his job. 

Fitzgerald- 6.5: Made his presence felt running at his defender numerous times. Good player to have coming off bench. 

JVS- 8.5: Poppa really had no answer to JVS tactics from the off. Very aggressive lineup and looked to have the team in great physical shape as well as everyone in a good emotional state. Cannot fault him from this performance and will be interesting to see how well he can get players understanding their role prior to the season as it could be a big risk but could be great reward. 

• Like 4

first time I've watched us play this season and boy oh boy, was I impressed!!

Jakobsen is without a doubt gonna be the league's new Delpierre and actually made our defence look like a defence. Thought both Chapman and Rose were ok and Malik whilst still obviously not a true CB as his defensive positioning often showed, was still pretty good. 

Brattan was MOTM imo, he is an absolute freak and probably the next best thing we could have gotten to replace Mooy. His vision and passing is phenomenal and he actually does a lot more chasing, tracking back and tackling than I thought, so props to him for that. Kilkenny was good too without being spectacular, seems a very capable box-to-box type.

Our wingers were fucking ELITE, Brandan's workrate is unlike anyone I've ever seen play for us and even though he overdid the dribbling a few times he has the hunger and desire that Novillo definitely lacked. Kamau on the right wing was amazing too, his dribbling was great and Fitzy gave Hamill absolute hell when he came on for the last 10-15. Colazo's cross to set up our 4th was unreal but otherwise he looked like a player lacking match fitness so no issues there. 

Finally, it was great to see both Timmy and Bruno score and it seems they really compliment each other well which is a big relief. Should really be close to scoring 3 goals a game with these two superstars up front, gonna be unreal. 

As for JVS, idk enough about tactics to know what the hell he did but it seems we're playing "total football" where everyone is really fluid but the most impressive thing I saw was the workrate and defensive pressure when we didn't have the ball as it really threw the Wanderers off their game right from the start. 

Obviously it's early days and we're all aware of our history but things look promising, tonight was a really great performance and result.

• Like 4

Not getting ahead of myself here, but one of the best and most professional performances I've seen from us given the opposition, who have come down here before and made us look stupid. 

Jakobsen a massive plus and will make the others around him better.

Love the dual Brattan and Kilkenny roles, probably some of the smartest recruiting we've ever done.

Cahill a bulldog and always a pleasure to see the panic he causes especially in the air.

But the biggest plus for me were the wingers, in particular Kamau and their willingness to get back. Awesome effort that fills me with great confidence, especially with the versatility we have now.

• Like 3

What a thrashing, they were beaten all over the park.

Massive highlights for me:

Jakobsen's firstish kick in this league is a goal from a bicycle kick in the first 2 minutes.

Colazo's first cross is a bullet and leads to a goal.

Fernando's pace... abnormally fast, and winning ariel battles against giants... unbelievable. 

And the organised pressing of the midfield and tracking back of Kamau and Fernando and strangling them into an error. Great tactical organisation with quality players that can execute.

Also even though Chapman and Rose didn't seem progressive in their positions they still owned the space defensively... a nice change from last year, and with Jakobsen in command the defence look unified.

Oh and Cahill, Bruno, Kilkenny and Brattan just impose themselves on the park, great vision and discipline.

Good win, but more importantly with solidity and unity all over the park.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, silva10 said:

Is the game as entertaining has the Twitter account makes out?

Yeah, was an enjoyable game to watch and not just because it's the first time we've been at AAMI for months.

Our new players looked good. Jakobson's opening goal was fantastic, and getting in front early meant the game wasn't ever stressful. Also great to have Cahill and Fornaroli score so there's not the 'when's your first goal coming' pressure.

Chapman looked ok at fullback, definitely more defensively focused than attacking.  

1 hour ago, Nate said:

did everyone get in? noticed the ticket queue was massive when I got to AAMI Park and that was 10 minutes before kick-off

Word of advice, never choose to pre-collect tickets at AAMI ever again. Arrived 20 mins before kick off and went into the apparent "ticket-collection" desk line. Moved at snail pace and out of nowhere it was shut at kick off and everyone was forced to join the regular ticket queue. Not that fussed after the teams performance but annoyed I missed 10 minutes and what sounds like a stunning Jakobson bicycle kick.

I missed the game as I was riding into Syracuse (Sicily, terrible ride down a busy pot-holed road, still, can't complain). I'm pleased and a little surprised at the result, did WSW try a mid-field press, a fairly standard and perennially successful tactic against us? If so how did we respond differently and retain possession? Was our defence organised differently?

It was good to hear Cahill's interview, he was saying all the things that have been missing from successive Heart/City teams.