Melbourne Football

I wonder...

jw1739

20 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I am in the same camp although not to the point in saying that it is a deliberate tactic. Thinking that so many governments around the world are behaving the same way I tend to think that perhaps the probability of a pandemic is much larger than say influenza. What bothers me is that within the 20-50 year old age bracket they may show little by the way of symptoms but they can certainly contaminate others. This is the scary bit as the first Italian to have died from it was an elderly man who had never been to China, live in a small town which was not on teh tourist trail. Hence how did he get it? That is the scary bit.

I'm not a virologist, but I don't see why it is assumed that there has to be a single source of this virus - or indeed any virus. IIRC these little buggers mutate, and if the conditions for mutation are right in two different locations, then the same mutation could occur in those two different locations.

Also, viruses cannot reproduce independently - they have to infect a susceptible living cell before they can program that cell to reproduce more of themselves. 

IMO we also have to look at the fatality rate compared with other similar infections before were start hearing these "looming disaster" statements from politicians. For example, the 2009 influenza pandemic. 

I have read that the best preventive measure we can take is to wash our hands frequently with good old soap and water - this will kill the virus. Hand sanitisers are only any good if they are at least 60% alcohol.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not a virologist, but I don't see why it is assumed that there has to be a single source of this virus - or indeed any virus. IIRC these little buggers mutate, and if the conditions for mutation are right in two different locations, then the same mutation could occur in those two different locations.

Also, viruses cannot reproduce independently - they have to infect a susceptible living cell before they can program that cell to reproduce more of themselves. 

IMO we also have to look at the fatality rate compared with other similar infections before were start hearing these "looming disaster" statements from politicians. For example, the 2009 influenza pandemic. 

I have read that the best preventive measure we can take is to wash our hands frequently with good old soap and water - this will kill the virus. Hand sanitisers are only any good if they are at least 60% alcohol.

You are right with respect to mutations but the rate of mutation varies from virus to virus. Most modelling of virus spreading stem from a single location - I am not aware of the same type of virus having multiple ways of spreading although I don't know of any reason for not happening.

To me the issue is one of prevention. If authorities do nothing and the fatality rate increases then they cop it. If they push to contain it, the rate is reduced but people would say that it was a waste of time and they cop it. Its a bit like people who do extreme adventures - if they don't get hurt they are heroes, if they get hurt is someone else fault.

So yes government need to push the hygienic recommendations but I have ceased to be surprised as to how many people don't.

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

You are right with respect to mutations but the rate of mutation varies from virus to virus. Most modelling of virus spreading stem from a single location - I am not aware of the same type of virus having multiple ways of spreading although I don't know of any reason for not happening.

To me the issue is one of prevention. If authorities do nothing and the fatality rate increases then they cop it. If they push to contain it, the rate is reduced but people would say that it was a waste of time and they cop it. Its a bit like people who do extreme adventures - if they don't get hurt they are heroes, if they get hurt is someone else fault.

So yes government need to push the hygienic recommendations but I have ceased to be surprised as to how many people don't.

the past week, I've seen at least a dozen separate instances of grown adults sneezing or coughing straight into their hands

this is the sort of shit I knew not to do by the age of 7, so it's staggering to think so many aren't aware - and it's no wonder it's spreading like wildfire. 

It's evolution at work in front of our eye's, virus' will alter our DNA as we alter it's, hence the mutations. The natural world isn't interested in feelings, it's survival of the fittest and it's a leap in our evolution, natural selection will do the rest. In a way it's interesting to observe, I find it hilarious I can't buy toilet paper tbh.

3 hours ago, moops said:

It's evolution at work in front of our eye's, virus' will alter our DNA as we alter it's, hence the mutations. The natural world isn't interested in feelings, it's survival of the fittest and it's a leap in our evolution, natural selection will do the rest. In a way it's interesting to observe, I find it hilarious I can't buy toilet paper tbh.

Having a look at the mortality rates those under 10 have 0% mortality rate but those over 80 have about 17%. They should have named the virus "Logan's Run" instead.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What is annoying me now is that what IMO are inflammatory statements have resulted in panic buying in supermarkets. 

I went to the store yesterday to buy some frozen dim-sims, was looking forward to cooking them up for dinner...... but those paranoid dip-shits had bought them all!!! Who is so worried about a virus that they decided to buy all the frozen dim-sim packets????

• Sad 1

Same here for plain flour to make my own dumplings.

Panic buying is for stupid and selfish people. Their actions restrict the supply to everyone else - who include the poor, sick and disadvantaged. A significant amount of what is being panic bought at the moment will eventually be discarded when it reaches its "use-by date." 

I also think that individual stores need to be able to, and should, react quicker and take unilateral action to prevent customers making multiple purchases of the same item.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Just cook or eat something else, who knows you might discover a substitute for a frozen dimmy, highly unlikely but who knows. 

I bought frozen dumplings. They're alright but not as thicc unfortunately

19 hours ago, Baka1 said:

How long before this blows over and we don’t hear about it again ? 

In Melbourne, the start of the AFL season? A coronavirus league table will be buried on page x somewhere, while the main coverage will be about someone or other's groin or knee.

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder....why when anyone dies and is described as an icon I have almost always never heard of him or her.

I think in part it is because the term icon can get thrown around a bit too loosely, but also gets used when a person has maybe been taken a bit too early.

So unless you (a) have memory like an elephant and (b) love reading and researching everything, there's a very good chance you just can't be across every little individual or element of an industry.

in saying that, I'm guessing part of your question relates to the death overnight of Chadwick Boseman (???).  Only just saw the twitter tributes, and honestly feel that icon is probably fair enough - like or loathe his films, he certainly played some iconic roles beautifully and will have a long lasting impact.  Very saddened to hear of his death 😢.  A fantastic and versatile actor taken just as he was getting the rightful fame his talents deserved.

Edited by mattyh001

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2020 at 7:10 PM, NewConvert said:

I'm with you but I recognise that I have never been good with celebrities or people of notoriety.

Now they don't even have to die - I've never heard of "high-profile Australians Hamish Blake and Zoe Foster-Blake" who are the face of Australia's latest domestic tourism marketing campaign.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Now they don't even have to die....I've never heard of "high-profile Australians Hamish Blake and Zoe Foster-Blake" who are the "faces of Tourism Australia's

Showing your age a bit here JW! 😁
Hamish Blake (of Hamish & Andy fame) is probably one of the country's most famous comedians and TV personalities. Tbf, his wife is probably D Grade celebrity at best.

Surely you know Hamish Blake, the mildly humorous radio presenter who's rise through the ranks saw him touted as the natural replacement for Rove McManus. Unfortunately he wasn't as funny as Rove and evidently lack self confidence, the evidence of which is the 6/10 busy body he married in 2012... the other "high-profile Australian"... and the one that absolutely no one has heard of. 

32 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Showing your age a bit here JW! 😁
Hamish Blake (of Hamish & Andy fame) is probably one of the country's most famous comedians and TV personalities. Tbf, his wife is probably D Grade celebrity at best.

27 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Surely you know Hamish Blake, the mildly humorous radio presenter who's rise through the ranks saw him touted as the natural replacement for Rove McManus. Unfortunately he wasn't as funny as Rove and evidently lack self confidence, the evidence of which is the 6/10 busy body he married in 2012... the other "high-profile Australian"... and the one that absolutely no one has heard of. 

I confess to being guilty of old age and that I have never heard or heard of these two!

I plead guilty and ask for that to be taken into account when you sentence me, your Honour.

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

How could someone be less funny than Rove?

With such gags as "Who would you turn Gay for?" that did not date at all... I cant believe Australians actually tuned tin o watch K Rudd give his answer as: "You - Rove" which then again he probably should have considered in 2007 his program should of had a K Rudd authorized message after each episode.

And Federal Politics has just been a beacon of stability since that Man was elected.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

I'm QLDer now, I don't know what a tie is.

Goes around your neck, your need to enter certain places like the Members at Racecourses... or for Horda weddings the go a step further, you require the highest sophistication of Balkan Fashion where only a Bright Yellow one will gain your entry alongside a Black Dress Shirt, like Bogans would wear to school formals circa 1998.

• Like 1

I wonder...whether an inability to remember anything is a criterion for selecting many of Australia's top public servants and industry CEOs? Now it's the CEO of Australia Post who cannot remember how the four Cartier watches were paid for. Most are of course unable to remember any emails,  telephone calls or who decided what at various meetings, but this is a new one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...whether an inability to remember anything is a criterion for selecting many of Australia's top public servants and industry CEOs? Now it's the CEO of Australia Post who cannot remember how the four Cartier watches were paid for. Most are of course unable to remember any emails,  telephone calls or who decided what at various meetings, but this is a new one.

CEO APPLICATION

Requirements:

Early Onset Dementia -

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I wonder...how come so many of the people infected with the coronavirus are moving about all over the place so quickly? One minute they're in Black Rock, the next in Bermagui, or Barwon Heads or Leongatha. Why would anyone eat in Black Rock and then go to these places? I live 3-15 minutes from Black Rock depending on whether I drive or walk there, I've lived here 29 years and have eaten or had coffee there no more than 10 times. And I've never been to Bermagui or Barwon Heads.

I also wonder...why is our Federal Government seemingly digging in on the timing of COVID-19 vaccination? I understand the approvals process etc. etc. but it just seems prima facie that the Government is determined not to change its timetable even if it could accelerate it.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I also wonder...why is our Federal Government seemingly digging in on the timing of COVID-19 vaccination? I understand the approvals process etc. etc. but it just seems prima facie that the Government is determined not to change its timetable even if it could accelerate it.

My take is that those vaccines haven’t had anything like the normal testing process. The US and UK are using them now because they are, frankly, desperate and see it as worth the risk.

We on the over hand can afford to wait and see if their use causes any unexpected consequences. Sound strategy. 
ps (trigger warning) the current outbreak is just a storm in a tea cup, as it seems well under control 

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

My take is that those vaccines haven’t had anything like the normal testing process. The US and UK are using them now because they are, frankly, desperate and see it as worth the risk.

We on the over hand can afford to wait and see if their use causes any unexpected consequences. Sound strategy. 
ps (trigger warning) the current outbreak is just a storm in a tea cup, as it seems well under control 

@Shahanga Don't speak too quickly mate. 10 locally-acquired cases in the past 24 hours. Not under control at all. It's very close to us at home here and I can tell you I'm pretty nervous.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...how come so many of the people infected with the coronavirus are moving about all over the place so quickly? One minute they're in Black Rock, the next in Bermagui, or Barwon Heads or Leongatha. Why would anyone eat in Black Rock and then go to these places? I live 3-15 minutes from Black Rock depending on whether I drive or walk there, I've lived here 29 years and have eaten or had coffee there no more than 10 times. And I've never been to Bermagui or Barwon Heads.

You will be surprised at the number of people who travel for work and leisure. In my youth I use to live in Jan Juc and would drive into the city for work but There were heaps of people from Geelong and Torquay who would drive out to Moorabin and Frankston for work.

Also disposable income means that people who live in affluent suburbs tend to have holiday homes or friends with holiday homes along the coast. My brother does although I do not see the appeal of a holiday home.

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

As @Shahanga pointed out the UK/USA are desperate and even if the vaccines do have some side effects the governments are willing to risk it. At the very least they are being seen to be doing something. Right now we are not in bad a spot and we know that lockdowns do work so even if things do get out of hand they can be brought back down, and the hate will be copped by the NSW state government.

From a scientific perspective, I don't think that there are going to be any issues with the vaccines, although I expect some individuals to have an adverse reaction. But since the UK/USA are vaccinating thousands by the time we start getting inoculated these effects would have been noted. I thank the people of the UK/USA for being guinea pigs en masse.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga Don't speak too quickly mate. 10 locally-acquired cases in the past 24 hours. Not under control at all. It's very close to us at home here and I can tell you I'm pretty nervous.

True, things can change quickly. 
Today Vic has more community cases than NSW, but nearly all the Vic ones are from the same spot, which gives me some hope that we can now trace contracts.

In regards to yourself, being conservative till you have a better idea what is going on does indeed make sense. It should be clear within a few days where things are heading in Vic. 

I find that we seem to be having more community transmission than NSW very interesting. Is it that we're identifying the close contacts more quickly, or the contacts are coming forward and getting tested more readily, than our northern neighbours?

It was drawn to my attention this evening that I had attended (21 December) a COVID site a within 10 minutes of the risk window listed on the DHHS website. 

I did the responsible thing and started contacting people that I had any contact with since 21 December (these included a few that were in the high risk category along with a direct contact with a pregnant woman and indirect contact with another pregnant woman) and made my way to the only COVID testing site within an hour and half that was still listed as being open on the DHHS site by the time I would arrive (most were already closed or were more than 30 mins away and closung in 20 mins). Made it to Epping Hospital, which turned out to be closed more than 20 mins early so turned around and went home.

A couple hours after havibg returned home a colleague of mine called to advise that the DHHS website had been updated changing the date on which the COVID positive person attended that particular site.

I know its a simple mistake to make miskeying a date but it does seem rather typical of the Victoria's contract tracing etc. given all the other issues it has had and the stories of fuck ups.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, malloy said:

It was drawn to my attention this evening that I had attended (21 December) a COVID site a within 10 minutes of the risk window listed on the DHHS website. 

I did the responsible thing and started contacting people that I had any contact with since 21 December (these included a few that were in the high risk category along with a direct contact with a pregnant woman and indirect contact with another pregnant woman) and made my way to the only COVID testing site within an hour and half that was still listed as being open on the DHHS site by the time I would arrive (most were already closed or were more than 30 mins away and closung in 20 mins). Made it to Epping Hospital, which turned out to be closed more than 20 mins early so turned around and went home.

A couple hours after havibg returned home a colleague of mine called to advise that the DHHS website had been updated changing the date on which the COVID positive person attended that particular site.

I know its a simple mistake to make miskeying a date but it does seem rather typical of the Victoria's contract tracing etc. given all the other issues it has had and the stories of fuck ups.

Same story over again, isn't it? Un-prepared? In fact after 60 or so days with no cases it looks as though they've been caught off-guard. And , yes, I know I'm a curmudgeonly old man but FMD this obsession with "Christmas" really pisses me off. Do people have to travel all over the bloody country because it's "Christmas"? Couldn't they give up just one "festive season " in their lives? Pandemics pay no attention to arbitrary dates on calendars.

• Like 2

@malloy @haz The Victorian press conference this morning went over this. A lot of staff were allowed to take leave after working continuously and under great pressure for the past 9 months or so during our second wave. They are now being brought back from leave as we try to get the Black Rock cluster under control.

I don't think we were ill-prepared or had our eye off the ball - the timing was just unfortunate.

This Commander Jeroen Weimar looks and sounds a really professional and on-the ball guy. I'm very impressed by what I've seen of him. What  pity he wasn't in command the whole way through.

On 03/01/2021 at 11:43 AM, jw1739 said:

@malloy @haz The Victorian press conference this morning went over this. A lot of staff were allowed to take leave after working continuously and under great pressure for the past 9 months or so during our second wave. They are now being brought back from leave as we try to get the Black Rock cluster under control.

I don't think we were ill-prepared or had our eye off the ball - the timing was just unfortunate.

This Commander Jeroen Weimar looks and sounds a really professional and on-the ball guy. I'm very impressed by what I've seen of him. What  pity he wasn't in command the whole way through.

I am still rather sceptical that it is being handled well.

The following article indicates that the whole thing is rife with errors.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/i-hold-my-hand-up-says-weimar-over-errors-on-dhhs-exposure-site-list-20210105-p56rw7.html

I also question why they would not include sites and dates erroneously included in a separate category stating that they have been removed and providing the reason why.