Melbourne Football

I wonder...

jw1739

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Fascinating, I just think that to an extent peoples clothes define them (superficial I know) I wouldnt want to share them 

I'm a bit the same tbh. One of my mates is notorious for rocking up to pre-drinks ahead of a night out in shit clothes and asking to borrow a shirt or jeans off anybody willing to lend him some. I will often give him some stuff to borrow, but never my nicer clothes as I am probably one of the best dressed out of my group of mates and prefer to keep my style to myself.

EDIT: Just read this out loud after I posted it. Fuck I'm such a flog.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I'm a bit the same tbh. One of my mates is notorious for rocking up to pre-drinks ahead of a night out in shit clothes and asking to borrow a shirt or jeans off anybody willing to lend him some. I will often give him some stuff to borrow, but never my nicer clothes as I am probably one of the best dressed out of my group of mates and prefer to keep my style to myself.

EDIT: Just read this out loud after I posted it. Fuck I'm such a flog.

No worse than half the stuff posted on here. Nothing wrong with having a high opinion of one's self. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Cricket.

I wouldnt say the ratio or the extremes of fuckwitism are as high as tennis. 

Somebody like Steve Smith is still a long way off from reaching the levels of Kyrgios, Tomic or Hewitt. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Fascinating, I just think that to an extent peoples clothes define them (superficial I know) I wouldnt want to share them 

I held this view once. But the older you get the less you give a fuck what you or others wear. 

I'm looking forward to the day when I have zero self consciousness and wear velvet tracksuits with leather dress shoes.

9 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Somebody like Steve Smith is still a long way off from reaching the levels of Kyrgios, Tomic or Hewitt. 

Depends I guess.

I definitely agree that the higher profile Aussie Tennis players have a high rate of fuckwitism but there are/have been plenty on the circuit who aren't that bad over the last few years. As far as the Aussie Cricket team, I struggle to really like most of the guys who've been in and around it the last decade or so.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I held this view once. But the older you get the less you give a fuck what you or others wear. 

I'm looking forward to the day when I have zero self consciousness and wear velvet tracksuits with leather dress shoes.

The ethnic dream

10 minutes ago, hedaik said:

I think team athletes keep each other a lot more accountable too. So teams tend to all be flogs- see early 2000s cricket- or not that bad. Individuals tend to be the worst with tennis and boxers being the worst of the worst 

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

But besides for Kyrgios and Tomic, who else can be considered a flog?

The rest (Stosur, Groth, Thompson, Gavrilova) seem like pretty down to earth people.

Stosur's a flog, the rest of those are alright IMO

1 minute ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Really? For me she comes across as a pretty down to earth battler.

Down to earth battler?

Can't remember the last time she didn't roll over like a piece of shit in a big tournament, got no heart at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Embee said:

Down to earth battler?

Can't remember the last time she didn't roll over like a piece of shit in a big tournament, got no heart at all.

I mean as a person, she's useless in the big ones as a player but she seems like a pretty likeable, if not a little dull, person.

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

I mean as a person, she's useless in the big ones as a player but she seems like a pretty likeable, if not a little dull, person.

My opinion of her is admittedly clouded by her absolute lack of heart as a player

Just now, Embee said:

Down to earth battler?

Imagine being Sam Stosur; one of the more talented female players we've ever had yet due to her invertebrate nature she folds like a deck of cards that have been left out in the rain.

Also UOTIH : I love Nick Kyrgios. There hasn't been a more fun and entertaining Australian player to watch in my time; be that in terms of skill, theatrics or otherwise.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Embee said:

The ethnic dream

I had a Maco mate in the 90s and his old man used to wear Carlton VFL shorts and white walk sock and brown shoes. 

When you go around like that you know that you've made it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Imagine being Sam Stosur; one of the more talented female players we've ever had yet due to her invertebrate nature she folds like a deck of cards that have been left out in the rain.

Also UOTIH : I love Nick Kyrgios. There hasn't been a more fun and entertaining Australian player to watch in my time; be that in terms of skill, theatrics or otherwise.

Is he really that disliked though? It seems like most under 30s like him and understand him, it's just the older generation that don't seem to love him because he goes against everything they know about tennis,

IMO for every great player you need a Kyrgios, Baghdatis or Monfils to balance things out in terms of entertainment, guys like Roger and Djokovic are great players but can get a little dull occasionally, I reckon you need entertainers in every sport to generate interest.

10 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Is he really that disliked though? It seems like most under 30s like him and understand him, it's just the older generation that don't seem to love him because he goes against everything they know about tennis,

IMO for every great player you need a Kyrgios, Baghdatis or Monfils to balance things out in terms of entertainment, guys like Roger and Djokovic are great players but can get a little dull occasionally, I reckon you need entertainers in every sport to generate interest.

IMO Baghdatis and Kyrgios couldn't be at more separate ends of the spectrum...

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO Baghdatis and Kyrgios couldn't be at more separate ends of the spectrum...

Baghdatis can certainly be more than a little unhinged at times, he's got considerably more public support than Kyrgios though

On 02/06/2017 at 0:33 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

They do but they don't like to admit it and try keep it to a limit.

I know as my brother and his long term partner are quite fashion conscious as well being the same height and weight.

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

My guess is yes considering how few pro athletes are 

I guess that makes a bit more sense, but I meant just regular people who most people really wouldnt give a fuck about being gay.

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I guess that makes a bit more sense, but I meant just regular people who most people really wouldnt give a fuck about being gay.

Really depends where they live and what they do I guess. I remember first year out of high school around 5 people in my year came out. Being an inner north hipster and having worked in call centres during uni I know a fair few gays. I also know a lot of people I'm convinced are gay that haven't come out yet. I guess its a case by case thing. 

19 minutes ago, Tesla said:

There's still a lot of people who do care about this sort of thing. Particularly if they come from a fairly conservative background or family like several of my friends do. I imagine it would be very hard to come out in that scenario.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I wonder whether people realise the irony in complaining about a lack of winning culture at Melbourne City yet promote a pisstake thread about sacking a manager that hasn't even been announced yet :hmm:

I agree. IMO the reaction of people to a Twitter rumour is absurd. Execution without trial.

On 2017-6-15 at 10:17 AM, strider said:

I wonder why sleep isn't classified as time travel? Whenever I'm bored and CBF waiting for something I nap it out. Time travel

I do the same thing. It's like in GTA when you have to wait for a certain time before you can do a mission so you sleep (save) so you don't have to wait. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2017 at 3:04 PM, Jovan said:

I had a Maco mate in the 90s and his old man used to wear Carlton VFL shorts and white walk sock and brown shoes. 

When you go around like that you know that you've made it.

i'm looking forward to when I can wear long dress socks and sandals

then i know  i don't give a flying fuck as to what anyone thinks

Edited by japiedog

• 1 month later...