Melbourne Football

I wonder...

jw1739

I wonder why country towns and villages don't actually dig out their shallow creeks and rivers, and also create diversion channels, so that they are better prepared for high water flows? Every year some pissy little place or other is flooded and yet no-one seems to get prepared for it. Contrast many places I've visited in Europe where the river though the town is usually just a tiny stream at the bottom of a channel, but the place is ready for the 1 in a 100 year storm.

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder why country towns and villages don't actually dig out their shallow creeks and rivers, and also create diversion channels, so that they are better prepared for high water flows? Every year some pissy little place or other is flooded and yet no-one seems to get prepared for it. Contrast many places I've visited in Europe where the river though the town is usually just a tiny stream at the bottom of a channel, but the place is ready for the 1 in a 100 year storm.

well for starters, it's probably too expensive and disruptive to justify.

a lot of the problems extend beyond that anyway, a great example at the moment is my hometown Albury/Wodonga which is currently experiencing its worst flooding in over 20 years because they're having to let so much water out of the Hume Weir into the Murray as a result of bureaucratic mismanagement by the Murray-Darling Basin Authority

I wonder if any one can help me escape my parking fine. I parked somewhere I didn't have a permit for and got fined $93. I have a permit for parks literally meters away but I fully knew I wasn't allowed to park where I did and the parks are clearly marked. So don't know if playing dumb will work. Here's the relevant section of the ticket: 

Screenshot_20161010-141731.png

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I wonder if any one can help me escape my parking fine. I parked somewhere I didn't have a permit for and got fined $93. I have a permit for parks literally meters away but I fully knew I wasn't allowed to park where I did and the parks are clearly marked. So don't know if playing dumb will work. Here's the relevant section of the ticket: 

Screenshot_20161010-141731.png

I wouldn't give you this idea unless you were a City man. A mate of mine regularly escapes such fines by saying he wasn't the driver on the occasion in question and that the driver was a Japanese friend and visitor to Melbourne not possessing full command of English and who thought he was parking in the permitted zone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't give you this idea unless you were a City man. A mate of mine regularly escapes such fines by saying he wasn't the driver on the occasion in question and that the driver was a Japanese friend and visitor to Melbourne not possessing full command of English and who thought he was parking in the permitted zone.

What happens if they ask for proof?

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I wonder if people actually find something wrong with Trump's most recent comments or they're just joining the collective faux outrage bandwagon.

I agree it's been way overblown as with everything like this, but I think this issue is that it is part of a pattern of dodgy things he's said about women, and as a presidential candidate that's not really good enough

15 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I agree it's been way overblown as with everything like this, but I think this issue is that it is part of a pattern of dodgy things he's said about women, and as a presidential candidate that's not really good enough

But seriously how many blokes can say theyve never talked like this or at the very least their mates have while they sat there having a laugh with them?

I honestly reckon the fact he apologised is whats lead to it getting so blown up, since he never apologised for anything before it gave the faux outrage crew a green light that this is something to be really outraged about.

And seriously, what part of what he said is him admitting to sexual assualt? Rediculous comments being made.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But seriously how many blokes can say theyve never talked like this or at the very least their mates have while they sat there having a laugh with them?

I honestly reckon the fact he apologised is whats lead to it getting so blown up, since he never apologised for anything before it gave the faux outrage crew a green light that this is something to be really outraged about.

And seriously, what part of what he said is him admitting to sexual assualt? Rediculous comments being made.

Dan Bilzerian on the other hand...Screenshot_2016-10-10-17-53-13.png

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

I wonder how long until we ditch the monarchy, grow a pair on the world stage and become a republic. 

More clear cut issue than SSM or banking/union royal commissions IMO

I disagree. I dont really care either way, but i dont see the point of leaving. Doesn't really achieve anything.

13 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I wonder how long until we ditch the monarchy, grow a pair on the world stage and become a republic. 

More clear cut issue than SSM or banking/union royal commissions IMO

IMO a modern constitutional monarchy such as they have in the U.K. works very well. In practice the monarch has insignificant powers, and even these are exercised by custom and practice only in the sense of serving the people of the nation. I have a distrust of a possible change to a system that might allow government according to the latest fad rather than in the long-term interests of the nation.

However, I've little doubt that the republican cause will receive a boost in due course after the death of HM The Queen. I think many people have a great deal of respect for her as the longest-serving British monarch and are reluctant to countenance change during her lifetime.

30 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I disagree. I dont really care either way, but i dont see the point of leaving. Doesn't really achieve anything.

But what does staying in the monarchy achieve?

It's something that will happen eventually so why not now?

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

However, I've little doubt that the republican cause will receive a boost in due course after the death of HM The Queen. I think many people have a great deal of respect for her as the longest-serving British monarch and are reluctant to countenance change during her lifetime.

I'm not so sure, the only reason the republic movement isn't strong at the moment is because of William & Kate. They've got that whole celebrity following thing going on, and why a lot of young people aren't interested in a republic.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:58 PM, bt50 said:

Because we are better country than the UK, we have been for a very long time in terms of lifestyle and the opportunities our citzens have to achieve and our society and therefore deserve stand on our two feet...

And what do owe these bastards anyway?

Just look at WW1?

In  WW1 a bloke who is worshiped in the UK in Winston Churchill decided against all advice to attack the Gallipoli Peninsula, so the only safety percussion he took was to make sure it was mainly a generation of Australian Men who he sent up first to their his slaughter. Then when they had won a position despite heavy casualties he continued to use a method of using the Australians to attack the lines before moving the English Troops up behind them.

Surely it couldnt get worse in WW2?

Actually it did as first after a large portion of the Australian Forces were sent to Singapore to fight the Japanese. However, as the Australians were determined to fight the Japanese to the bitter end one of history's great coward in the English General Percival decided to surrender on the Australians before. Therefore rather than fighting the enemy they were then treated to being placed in horrific Japanese POW camps where many died of disease and starvation and thousands more were left with Mental and Physical Illness for life afterwards. 

So now with a significant proportion of its Army in captivity and the rest fighting in Europe to assist those countries who had rolled over to the Nazi's with next to no resistance like France, What was Winston Churchill's advice to John Curtin as the Japanese turned its attention to Australia?

He basically ordered Curtin to give up on Australia and send all his troops to protect the Motherland. Thank fuck we had strong PM who saved this country by making a decisive alliance with the USA and that a bunch of Army Reserve Kids were able to piss off and hold the Japanese for long enough in PNG.

We owe the USA a lot more than do the UK - And as a country dont deserve better for our Head of State someone who is a decedent was slightly bigger Germany Barbarian than the rest of his tribe's Barbarians because that is where the British Monarchy basically started.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Because we are better country than the UK, we have been for a very long time in terms of lifestyle and the opportunities our citzens have to achieve and our society and therefore deserve stand on our two feet...

And what do owe these bastards anyway?

Just look at WW1?

In  WW1 a bloke who is worshiped in the UK in Winston Churchill decided against all advice to attack the Gallipoli Peninsula, so the only safety percussion he took was to make sure it was mainly a generation of Australian Men who he sent up first to their his slaughter. Then when they had won a position despite heavy casualties he continued to use a method of using the Australians to attack the lines before moving the English Troops up behind them.

Surely it couldnt get worse in WW2?

Actually it did as first after a large portion of the Australian Forces were sent to Singapore to fight the Japanese. However, as the Australians were determined to fight the Japanese to the bitter end one of history's great coward in the English General Percival decided to surrender on the Australians before. Therefore rather than fighting the enemy they were then treated to being placed in horrific Japanese POW camps where many died of disease and starvation and thousands more were left with Mental and Physical Illness for life afterwards. 

So now with a significant proportion of its Army in captivity and the rest fighting in Europe to assist those countries who had rolled over to the Nazi's with next to no resistance like France, What was Winston Churchill's advice to John Curtin as the Japanese turned its attention to Australia?

He basically ordered Curtin to give up on Australia and send all his troops to protect the Motherland. Thank fuck we had strong PM who saved this country by making a decisive alliance with the USA and that a bunch of Army Reserve Kids were able to piss off and hold the Japanese for long enough in PNG.

We owe the USA a lot more than do the UK - And as a country dont deserve better for our Head of State someone who is a decedent was slightly bigger Germany Barbarian than the rest of his tribe's Barbarians because that is where the British Monarchy basically started.

:clap::clap::clap:

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...how and why some of our memberships are processed late at night or in the wee small hours of the morning? Do people wake up in the middle of the night and suddenly decide to join, or does someone at SportSubs have insomnia?

Probably got 14 year olds in Vietnam processing them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...how and why some of our memberships are processed late at night or in the wee small hours of the morning? Do people wake up in the middle of the night and suddenly decide to join, or does someone at SportSubs have insomnia?

Probably an automated process doing them late at night.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:14 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

I wonder if the CEO of dreamworld would be copping the same level of hammering from the media if she was a male?

Probably even more, but she deserves every minute of it. Obviously has lousy media advisors and inadequate training, because you just do not tell lies in a situation such as that.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I wonder why someone (I assume a man) threw a full sandwich in the toilet at work. He would've had to walk further to get to the toilet than a bin

It's now your job to work out whose responsible. If I was on the case I'd start with anyone that still lives at home with their mother.

On 20/09/2016 at 3:17 PM, kingofhearts said:

I don't know how people can live without breakfast.

I've worked as a labourer for the most part of my life, so anytime I haven't had breakfast just leads to not a good day at work lol. Transitioning into a desk job maybe I could not worry about breakfast but on personal experience you would have to have something in your body before going to do any type of labour.

Also cereal kicks ass and looks weird as fuck if you're eating it at any other time of the day

Yeah you sure as hell don't skip breakfast if you have a hard days work in front of you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...