Melbourne Football

Braedyn Crowley

True Until I die

Northcote City hot-shot forward Braedyn Crowley is set to join A-League powerhouse Melbourne City for the 2016-17 domestic season.

The former Newcastle Jets man impressed his new A-League outfit in his time trialling with the club and featured in the club’s pre-season friendly against Hume City last week.

The move comes off the back of an impressive spell since joining Northcote City mid-season, where he netted just short of half of Northcote’s total goal tally in their 2016 NPL Victoria campaign.

Crowley’s 13 goals plundered in 19 games – including an all-important equaliser in the penultimate round fixture against Bentleigh Greens – were almost enough to drag Goran Lozanovski’s battlers away from NPL Victoria relegation, however a final day loss to Oakleigh Cannons send them down to the second division for the first time since 2009.

The forward had plenty of other memorable moments in a Northcote kit; he netted all five goals in a 5-0 win over the Melbourne Knights – a season record for the NPL Victoria – while a hat-trick against Port Melbourne Sharks gave City a vital three points in their race for survival.

He also displayed his technical prowess with a stunning free-kick in the 1-1 draw with Bulleen Lions, one of his six goals in the final six games of the season.

“I’ve played and had experience in the A-League, and it’s where I want to get back into as it was good at the Jets and I was really pleased with everything they did for me, but I just didn’t have the money to stay there in the A-League environment,” he said earlier in the NPL season.

“So coming down here was a move I haven’t regretted as it’s something I’ve enjoyed. I love being here with the boys as they are a good bunch and I’m fairly confident that if it comes to the end of the season and someone else calls, I’m not going to go to any other club unless it’s an A-League club.”

The Townsville-born striker, who turns 20 later this year, made his senior bow as a 16-year-old at Central Queensland, before netting an impressive 17 goals in 26 NPL Queensland games in his Young Player of the Year award-winning season with Northern Fury, which attracted interest from the Jets’ NYL team.

He flourished in the A-League youth setup, which saw him make his senior debut under the tutelage of Phil Stubbins, coming on as an 88th minute substitute in a 1-1 draw against the Western Sydney Wanderers.

He failed to find the net in his one start and seven substitute appearances in the 2015-16 A-League season, with his last appearance coming in the 1-0 loss to Adelaide United earlier this year.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Is this guy still alive?

The club lists him as a Youth team player. I think I may have made an error in listing him in the senior squad (Player Contracts thread). The original news article called him a "Scholarship" player - I don't know what that really means.

He's never got near the seniors match-day squad. Don't know any more I'm afraid.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The club lists him as a Youth team player. I think I may have made an error in listing him in the senior squad (Player Contracts thread). The original news article called him a "Scholarship" player - I don't know what that really means.

He's never got near the seniors match-day squad. Don't know any more I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Also, what happened with that LB Brad Smith that came on vs Brisbane Strikers?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Still with the club. Playing for the NYL team tonight. Wearing a different number (37) from the one originally allocated (29) so I presume he's not in the senior squad.

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Also, what happened with that LB Brad Smith that came on vs Brisbane Strikers?

Not on the NYL team sheet list for tonight. Presumably no longer registered with us.

Edited by jw1739

20 hours ago, Tomi said:

Crowley trains with the first team but plays with the NYL squad.

Brad Clarke (not Smith) has gone to Bulleen Lions 

I have a feeling Crowley won't stay on for the NPL season w/ City, he's too good to play NPL2. Already seen a lot of the youth team players move on to NPL clubs as well

Edited by wfc_10

2 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

I have a feeling Crowley won't stay on for the NPL season w/ City, he's too good to play NPL2. Already seen a lot of the youth team players move on to NPL clubs as well

Crowley's on a scholarship contract, so I'm guessing he wont have a choice but to stay and play NPL2. Not 100% sure, but you think they would have some clause in his contract preventing him from leaving??

Yes its a shame some of the boys they have lost to NPL clubs, especially Clarke and Joey Monek (St Albans). But I guess they can't hang around forever if there's no sign of stepping up to the first team

58 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Are the players that play for melbourne city npl side paid a wage at all ?

They receive pittance. Guess thats why they nik off to NPL clubs .... more $$$$$

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, strider said:

This kid is a fucking ANIMAL.

Jacked as fuck, did you cunts see the size of this bloke's arms? Fucking Gorilla spec. 

Start him instead of FallAndRoll-y and Brendan "The Autist" Fernando. Fuck off we're full @paulinehanson 

hahahahahahahaha

fuckin love it

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Melbourne City FC elevates Braedyn Crowley to first team roster
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-marcelo-carrusca-ahead-of-westfield-ffa-cup-quarter-final-elevates-braedyn-crowley-to-first-team-roster/an69fitv0fev1tng6sxktj3ed#f1xcsOWL9kRyY0j3.99

Braedyn Crowley will join Warren Joyce’s first-team squad on a one year deal until the end of the 2017/18 season. The 20-year-old striker joined City as a Scholarship Player in September last year from City affiliate club Northcote City and has now been elevated to a first-team contract. Joyce added;

“Braedyn has been a strong and regular contributor to our youth team over the course of his Scholarship contract and we have given him the opportunity to step into role with the first team squad.”

Crowley commented;

“Being at City has been a really positive journey for me. Earning a first team contract is something you dream about as a player so hopefully I can keep developing and take my opportunity when it comes.”

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-marcelo-carrusca-ahead-of-westfield-ffa-cup-quarter-final-elevates-braedyn-crowley-to-first-team-roster/an69fitv0fev1tng6sxktj3ed#f1xcsOWL9kRyY0j3.99

35 minutes ago, Embee said:

Seems reluctant to use him at the moment, will be interesting to see how much time he gets. 

I think we had to do something with one of the Scholarship players, because we had 7 and the limit is 6. One year contract, so we're not over-committing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I think we can assume that this guy has left the club although there has been no official announcement.

He is not listed in the squad in the "City Insider" for last night's match.

The departures of Crowley and Roberts certainly leave us undermanned in the reserve striker department.