Melbourne Football

Josh Rose

The Seagull

34 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Can't play next week for mine.

There's no-one else. TBH I'm not sure that we can lay the blame on any specific player for last night or for the rest of the season come to that. Everyone except van 't Schip and Petrillo could see that we needed to stiffen our defence from last season but instead we have just kept signing mid-fielders. I can't see that we can do anything now because we must surely be up against the salary cap.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There's no-one else. TBH I'm not sure that we can lay the blame on any specific player for last night or for the rest of the season come to that. Everyone except van 't Schip and Petrillo could see that we needed to stiffen our defence from last season but instead we have just kept signing mid-fielders. I can't see that we can do anything now because we must surely be up against the salary cap.

Only hope is using Gamiero's injury replacement

• Like 1

I'm not going to defend him that much but I don't think he was that bad last night apart from his headers straight to keogh

Harold did a whole lot of fuck all,  except for assist on first goal and that wasn't rose fault at all

IMO he plays on Tuesday night as he was very good against Rojas in the derby 

8 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm not going to defend him that much but I don't think he was that bad last night apart from his headers straight to keogh

Harold did a whole lot of fuck all,  except for assist on first goal and that wasn't rose fault at all

IMO he plays on Tuesday night as he was very good against Rojas in the derby 

There were some good things he did last night. But when you have a look over the course of the season how his performances affect the team: 

Against WSW: Passing was off and put our players under pressure when receiving the ball. Good game besides that, ended with a win.

Wellington: Decent game until an absolute brain fart that costs us a red card. Which has now put us in a position where our keeper is in question for our next game. 

Victory: Played a great game by his standards.

Perth: Defensively good, average going forward. Another stuffed up back pass cost us 2 points this time. 

There is a pattern there and we're only 3 rounds in. Yes he will play a good game from time to time however we can expect more stuff ups if he's consistently given game time. If his stuff up last night was a one off then that'd be different but unfortunately it's not. With all this said I hope I'm totally wrong and he plays off his face every game from here. But I doubt it. 

Fair enough, but instinctively I think it's wrong to blame one player (Rose) or another (Bouzanis) when we know that the problem is deeper than that. We knew last season we conceded far too may goals and needed to stiffen our defence, but haven't really done so. We know that we've never started the season well at home, nor have we very often (if at all - haven't looked up the stats) won the match following a winning derby. Last night we'd clawed back to 2-2 after twice going behind, so why not flood the defence and shut up shop in the last few minutes and snatch the point, at the same time denying Perth the other two points, maintain the undefeated momentum, etc. etc.?

My anger with the club is that we never seem to see the bigger picture. van 't Schip never seems to understand that in some situations stealing a point is a good result because it also denies points to the other team and it all adds up at the end of the season. The club never seems to realise the deflation and disappointment it gives its supporters, and expects us to all bounce back for the next match as if nothing has happened. That's what pisses me off.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough, but instinctively I think it's wrong to blame one player (Rose) or another (Bouzanis) when we know that the problem is deeper than that. We knew last season we conceded far too may goals and needed to stiffen our defence, but haven't really done so. We know that we've never started the season well at home, nor have we very often (if at all - haven't looked up the stats) won the match following a winning derby. Last night we'd clawed back to 2-2 after twice going behind, so why not flood the defence and shut up shop in the last few minutes and snatch the point, at the same time denying Perth the other two points, maintain the undefeated momentum, etc. etc.?

My anger with the club is that we never seem to see the bigger picture. van 't Schip never seems to understand that in some situations stealing a point is a good result because it also denies points to the other team and it all adds up at the end of the season. The club never seems to realise the deflation and disappointment it gives its supporters, and expects us to all bounce back for the next match as if nothing has happened. That's what pisses me off.

Out of likes but perfectly put.

Although one could argue that since you're playing at home with your best 11 available and firing on all cylinders with best attack in the league, while scores are level, why shouldn't you go for 3 points.

I understand the risks but wouldn't winning please the crowd ???

Just now, Jestr said:

Although one could argue that since you're playing at home with your best 11 available and firing on all cylinders with best attack in the league, while scores are level, why shouldn't you go for 3 points.

I understand the risks but wouldn't winning please the crowd ???

Yes, of course it would. But you have to look at the circumstances. We hadn't created many chances, we'd scored from a pretty soft penalty, really struggled our way back to 2:2 but we were in trouble every time Perth counter-attacked - if I was manager I'd have shut the gates and been happy with the point. 

1 hour ago, Jestr said:

our defence is porous at best, lacking structure, resolve and gritt.

We are in trouble if our points depend on our defence line qualities and tactics.

it doesn't hold up period

Yup. Exactly the same as last season. If you shut down our attack (which is of course is easier said than done) then our defensive will inevitably crumble. Perth knew that last night and we played right into their hands.

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Yup. Exactly the same as last season. If you shut down our attack (which is of course is easier said than done) then our defensive will inevitably crumble. Perth knew that last night and we played right into their hands.

Correct. This is a tactic to use against clueless jvs any decent coach should employ. 

We still going to score as our forward line won't be contained every game. 

Unfortunately we will still leak fair share of goals on the counter. 

Untill jvs resolves our defensive flaws parking the bus (more like combi van) should not be an option 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Because no other teams in the league lose games. 

We dont have a god given right to win anything 

26 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

Wow isn't it funny how no matter who we have in the fullback position they don't play well, even Franjic and Zullo weren't great. Meanwhile Marc fucking Warren is a starting fullback for Perth. It's almost as if the problem is more due to the system in place than the individuals.

Which IMO is precisely the problem. It is not the squad, because we turn it over nearly every season. It's the system we try to play. And that means JvS. We even turn over the Assistant Coaches as well (except Joey Nepotism of course).

33 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

Wow isn't it funny how no matter who we have in the fullback position they don't play well, even Franjic and Zullo weren't great. Meanwhile Marc fucking Warren is a starting fullback for Perth. It's almost as if the problem is more due to the system in place than the individuals.

Out of likes

27 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

Worth asking the question. Zullo, Franjic, Rose, arguably even Hoffman have performed solidly at other clubs, before and after Melbourne City.

On the positive side, I always liked Kisnorbo's presence, but I think Jakobsen has been a significant upgrade and I think Muscat has been ok. To me, I think there's reason to be optimistic that the defence and that more time together will help solidify them. Rose has to be dropped though...that was a catastrophic error.

If we'd managed to secure the draw we would have gone into today on top of the table and - at absolute worst - in the top three by the end of the round. It was pretty easy to see how costly the error was, because it allowed Perth to jump above us on the table.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Worth asking the question. Zullo, Franjic, Rose, arguably even Hoffman have performed solidly at other clubs, before and after Melbourne City.

On the positive side, I always liked Kisnorbo's presence, but I think Jakobsen has been a significant upgrade and I think Muscat has been ok. To me, I think there's reason to be optimistic that the defence and that more time together will help solidify them. Rose has to be dropped though...that was a catastrophic error.

If we'd managed to secure the draw we would have gone into today on top of the table and - at absolute worst - in the top three by the end of the round. It was pretty easy to see how costly the error was, because it allowed Perth to jump above us on the table.

Rose was second choice at the Mariners ffs. Zullo performed well for us 

6 minutes ago, SF33 said:

...and those extra two points that Perth have we now have to get somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Rose was second choice at the Mariners ffs. Zullo performed well for us 

165 games in six seasons (with the Mariners finishing top three in each of his first four years).

To be honest, I can't remember a single thing that Zullo did for us (besides getting injured), but I remember a lot of people being underwhelmed by the former Socceroo.

• Like 3

Our fullbacks are crucial to the way that we play as they provide the width in transition, perhaps a little less so this season with Colazo, They are really important signings but very difficult to find players that will contribute a lot to the style without spending big dollars, that's why we let Zullo go.

1 hour ago, SF33 said:

165 games in six seasons (with the Mariners finishing top three in each of his first four years).

To be honest, I can't remember a single thing that Zullo did for us (besides getting injured), but I remember a lot of people being underwhelmed by the former Socceroo.

Why did you bring up games played ? it's great that he did all those things 5 years ago but that was then this is now. Last year season he was second choice, fact. 

3 hours ago, Chris p said:

Why did you bring up games played ? it's great that he did all those things 5 years ago but that was then this is now. Last year season he was second choice, fact. 

Well, because it indicates that he has averaged over 27 first team games per season for six years in a row, when the A-League regular season goes for 27 games.

He made 24 first team appearances last year, including 23 A-League matches. Only one player played more games for the Mariners last year. He must be the luckiest second choice player in the history of the A-League.

• Like 1