Melbourne Football

Josh Rose

The Seagull

Central Coast Mariners farewell Club Legend, Josh Rose. 

Friday, 12 August 2016 -

The Central Coast Mariners can today confirm that Josh Rose has been granted permission by the club to pursue another opportunity within the Hyundai A-League.

Rose, who joined the Mariners in 2010 has notched up 177 Hyundai A-League appearances (12 with New Zealand Knights) and arrived on the Central Coast in 2010 from Romanian club, Universitatea Craiova.

A firm fan favourite on the Central Coast, ‘Rosey;’ has been a beloved personality for the Mariners thanks to his famous overlapping runs, versatility on the pitch and unwavering efforts in the community during his six seasons in yellow & navy.

The 2010/11 Mariners Medallist has experienced the highs and lows with the Central Coast Mariners having been involved with the heartbreaking Hyundai A-League 2010/11 Grand Final but most importantly the club’s maiden Hyundai A-League Championship in 2013.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Central_Coast_Mariners/3e/af/rosey_14acu17fammlj1wgwrjnm5ezjd.jpg?t=2079391078

rosey_14acu17fammlj1wgwrjnm5ezjd.jpg?t=2

In December last year, ‘Rosey’ etched his name into a special part of the Mariners’ history books when he made his 150th appearance for the club, joining the likes of Alex Wilkinson & John Hutchinson in the 150 club. 

Speaking at the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence before his departure, Josh Rose emotionally addressed the huge part that the Mariners have played in his life and thanked everyone for what has been an incredible journey on the Coast.

“It’s definitely mixed emotions,” Rose said. “I’m sad to be leaving this club that I’ve been a part of for six seasons now but really excited for my new adventure.

“I probably haven’t had the best 12 months, football wise for myself but things in football can change pretty quick and at the end of the day this is the best decision for myself and the club.

“The last thing I want to do as an experienced senior player is limit the playing time of any junior and young Mickey Neill has come along in leaps and bounds and is really making that left back spot his own. That was a big part of my decision and I see that as his position now so hopefully me moving on will help him realise that even more.

“This club is like a second home to me really: the fans, the boys in the dressing room are like my family.

“I can’t count how many times my wife has told me over the last six seasons that I love the club more than my own family, she’s probably not far off, she’s not right but she’s probably not far off because I love the boys in the dressing room like my brothers and whenever I see the fans out in the street they treat me like one of their own. I definitely think that will never change, I have formed friendships here that I will have forever.

“The Central Coast is a massive part of our lives, if I ever had the opportunity to come back as a player or something else to help this club than that would be a fantastic opportunity but football is a funny game and you never know what’s around the corner.

When asked about his fondest moment at the Central Coast Mariners, Rosey couldn’t go past the Championship win in 2013.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Central_Coast_Mariners/3c/10/rosey_g7zqvzhkgogq1acbvy9k952fp.jpg?t=2079392078

rosey_g7zqvzhkgogq1acbvy9k952fp.jpg?t=20

“Most definitely winning the Championship,” Rose said. “The group of boys we had that season were incredible, we went through some tough times that season with financial difficulties but it all grouped us and to win the Championship through out that turmoil topped it all off.

“I think that the Grand Final parade was probably the highlight for me, it was a fantastic day and I know that every player enjoyed that and the support from all of the fans.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Central_Coast_Mariners/87/45/rosey_13giowhb1eu8m13dgifhorpppy.jpg?t=2079392078

rosey_13giowhb1eu8m13dgifhorpppy.jpg?t=2

“The fans have been very important, right from day one, the fan engagement is so important to all players. When I came here the fans made me feel so comfortable from day one, from the people in the office like Sharon and her crew when I turned up six years ago they just make you feel so welcome and really part of the club.

“It’s a massive bonus and it makes you feel so appreciated and I’ve always put in 100% for every game and the fans have been a massive part of that.

“I’d just like to say thank you and goodbye to everyone that’s been a part of my journey here for the last 6 seasons, the fans have been amazing and it’s been a fantastic time for me and my family.

“I honestly believe that this is the best decision for myself and the club, I leave with no resentment, no hard feelings, the club have been fantastic for me and when this opportunity came up the club helped me in the best way possible,” Rose said.

The Central Coast Mariners wish ‘Rosey’ all the best in his future endeavours

#ThanksRosey

- See more at: http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/central-coast-mariners-farewell-club-legend-josh-rose/13tx90ijcg2eb14rz4wthwr3b2#sthash.oaaBqO2H.dpuf
Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/central-coast-mariners-farewell-club-legend-josh-rose/13tx90ijcg2eb14rz4wthwr3b2#mExziO1V7jSfIdwj.99

Seems a pretty likeable bloke tbh and Ray Gatt's twitter reaction shows how highly valued he was by their fans. 

Edited by bt50

I don't mind this signing.

For a number of years (until quite recently) he was the best left back in the league, he might not have had a great year last year, but I can imagine playing at either left or centre back at CCM last year would have been a nightmare.

Worth the (Father Time) risk I reckon.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I don't mind this signing.

For a number of years (until quite recently) he was the best left back in the league, he might not have had a great year last year, but I can imagine playing at either left or centre back at CCM last year would have been a nightmare.

Worth the (Father Time) risk I reckon.

He was good.

But a 34 year old fullback?

Pretty much rules out 352. Unless he will play the Aaron Hughes role minus the visa status. 

Actually hope he is seen as back up/squaddie and that we have a quality fullback lined up.

So basically he is replacing Clisby which in essence is an upgrade. 

Nothing wrong with a cheap left back if it means the salary cap space is used on improving other parts of our first 11.

Lol jk Cahill took all our money and there is no second marquee and we're not even gonna use all our salary cap space.

Vi$ion.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Chris p said:

We'll have to wait and see if he apologizes every week 

Probably most accurate/appropriate post to date. Tbf I respect his acknowledgment of his mistake, takes some balls to do it and will mean he'll be more determined to do well. Still a problem of him not being good enough to start though. 

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Personally thought Rose played quite well until the backpass. He may not have set the world on fire, but he was constantly targetted by Wellington and he was solid as a rock for 99% of the game. One mistake, yeah it was a bad one, but aside from that he did fairly well.

His social media post, along with the tackles that hyperfuzz has mentioned, suggest someone that took a bit of personal ownership to preserve the win after his mistake nearly had dire consequences. I find that encouraging.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris p said:

Virtue signalling nonsense 

Does anything about the club make you happy? You must be a joy to sit next to at the home games.

One of our players made a massive blue, which ultimately didn't cost us and instead of dropping his bundle, he did his best to make up for his error. Good on him, I say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SF33 said:

Does anything about the club make you happy? You must be a joy to sit next to at the home games.

One of our players made a massive blue, which ultimately didn't cost us and instead of dropping his bundle, he did his best to make up for his error. Good on him, I say.

Strawman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Strawman.

How so? Chris p is questioning Rose's motivations behind making such a post on social media; personally I think Rose's motivations seem quite genuine (Rose is happy and relieved that the only cost now is a week off for Sorensen and he wanted to thank his teammates publicly for getting the job done) and the fact that he played his part in preserving the lead following his error is good enough for me.

A seemingly innocuous gesture by Rose of putting his hand up and owning his mistake on social media is being treated with an incredible amount of cynicism (in my opinion). Few players have the balls to publicly acknowledge an error like that. Short of terminating his contract on the spot, I'm not sure what would make certain people happy.

8 minutes ago, SF33 said:

How so? Chris p is questioning Rose's motivations behind making such a post on social media; personally I think Rose's motivations seem quite genuine (Rose is happy and relieved that the only cost now is a week off for Sorensen and he wanted to thank his teammates publicly for getting the job done) and the fact that he played his part in preserving the lead following his error is good enough for me.

A seemingly innocuous gesture by Rose of putting his hand up and owning his mistake on social media is being treated with an incredible amount of cynicism (in my opinion). Few players have the balls to publicly acknowledge an error like that. Short of terminating his contract on the spot, I'm not sure what would make certain people happy.

It's a joke mate :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Fair enough, my mistake. You'll have to excuse me: I've been reading about how terrible Sorensen is for giving away a red card on the weekend and it may have melted my brain.

Sorenson is god ! havent you heard ? he used to play in da ee pe l, he can do no wrong 

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Sorenson is god ! havent you heard ? he used to play in da ee pe l, he can do no wrong 

He's also played one year in the A-League and was named the best keeper in the league that year. But, of course, you're right and everyone else is wrong.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, SF33 said:

He's also played one year in the A-League and was named the best keeper in the league that year. But, of course, you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Well tbf, they didn't give Player of the Year to either Mooy or Bruno so can't really use those awards as credible arguments :P

• Like 1

Sorry, I've seen enough. NOT.... UP..... TO..... IT 

Nice of him to own up to the mistake but he could hardly disown it. 

Just pick someone quick from the Youth team with a reasonable left foot, tell them to mark the winger tight and listen to exactly what Sorensen and Jakobsen tell him to do and they can't be much worse than any other left back we have had and better than Rose.