Melbourne Football

Josh Rose

The Seagull

21 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Good squad player that would bolster defence

More like first 11 player.

Don't mind it, best LB we've had since Behich and probably on fuck all salary which is good since LB is the least important outfield position. I'm guessing 1 year deal so just dump him next season and sign someone else.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If we are playing 352 then this is disaster.

Fullbacks most important position in that formation. 

But if we stay with 433 agree @Tesla regarding fullbacks importance. 

And with a cap you can't have big players in all positions. 

By the looks of things we are playing with no formation and every player can just run around wherever they like.

JVS would be a great u10s coach.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Clisby has been serviceable, and would be on fuk all money 

And Josh Rose is on marquee wages?

I'd expect Clisby is on more than Rose, we took him away from another A-League club where he was playing and at the time he looked a decent prospect. Rose is 34 years old and just happy to get another season of pro football on any salary. Wouldn't be shocked if Clisby makes double what Rose will.

Edited by Tesla

20 minutes ago, loriente said:

Ergh. Not a fan. Maybe 5 years ago but not now.

What a downgrade on Zullo. Last year really was our chance at winning something and we properly fucked it up.

certainly a downgrade on Zullo but we need options and competition at the back and we can only choose from players that are available

I think that some of you guys are expecting us to field a Bayern Munich beating team with a $2.5m salary cap. We aren't going to be strong in every position, of course structure and organisation can compensate somewhat for this in a team with a good coach. As you know this is the real problem

• Like 5

I expressed my opinion on Zullo. I think we should of kept him, and I think JVS bungled things with him so he left for Sydney.

It is a bit hard to judge a player who's in such a messy and poor quality team such as the present day Central Coast Mariners. Caceres looked rather ordinary with them a year ago as well.

And Joshua Rose does have top drawer A-League pedigree. Just 2 years ago (in the 2013-2014 season) Josh Rose was a big part of the CCM team that finished 3rd and made the ACL playoffs, and the season before that (2012-2013) Rose was a main player in the Graham Arnold CCM team that won the grand final, and the two seasons before that Rose was both times the A-League Team of the Season LB as CCM finished 1st in 2011-12 and 2nd in 2010-11.

So I'd say if Josh Rose is deemed 100% fit in his medical, he's a pretty solid A-League LB, especially when other limited Australian options are considered.

Another encouraging note about Rose's signing is that it most likely means that the 2 remaining Visa spots will be used on one central defender, and probably one midfielder or attacker. And the remaining marquee spot will be used on one of those 2 positions as well. All up I'd say that would be the best use of our remaining Visa spots and marquee spot, and the team will have been very well strengthened going into the new season.

Edited by Murfy1

Once he's in a better enviroment and with a team that can actually challenge for trophies then he might be at his best again if not better then his ever been since it's a new challenge. 

Hmm this could be us trying to save cap space for one of the other amazing visa players I hope we get lol. 

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I like the way (almost) everyone seems to be assuming we will fill those two remaining visa places and the second marquee place.

You're all more confident than I am.

Just makes it more entertaining when everyone realises the rest of our signings are minimum wage players like Josh Rose because we spent all our money on Tim Cahill.

• Like 1

he was the best left back in the league a few years ago when Central Coast were actually good, but idk now. 

Zullo is obviously pacier, more skillful and offers more going forward but Rose is probably a better defender, so it's probably gonna be JVS' tactics (or lack of) that'll determine whether this is a good signing or not.