Melbourne Football

Week 21: Melbourne v Cental Coast Mariners - Feb 26 - 5pm

Hammerhead

The ACG cunts told me off for whistling. So what did I do? I whistled louder! Fuck them!

Holy shit you practically killed a guy.

They are massive cunts though, by trying to 'protect' us, they actually end up putting us in more danger of injury.

Other than that it was a top match, I thought Reid was showing very good signs, and if Behich can put them away we will be unstoppable going onwards. Fucking lol at all the paper aswell.

Must mention..... That peanut/pistachio man that sells off a trolley out the front was a NO SHOW!?!?!

I made sure there was a crisp $10 waiting for that bloke to have only been let down.

My thoughts of todays shell stack was a misery...

Must bring kilos worth for all the lads next week.

....just in case Herald Sun dont turn up lol

With Dugandzic and Behich back we should have no trouble disposing of the Mariners.

Tesla gonna tesla

Also after watching Behich tonight, even more convinced we need him on right wing then all that cutting in would let him shoot with left foot instead of right. Dugandzic on left also cutting in.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

JVS is possibly the best coach in the league when it comes to adjusting formations and tactics according to the opposition. It's why we're usually a chance against any opposition. And I think this was a key reason we won all those games a while ago. But missing key players probably limited the tactical variety he could use. Having everyone available now gives him more options.

He's played a 3-4-3 against CCM before, so I suppose that wasn't a surprise. But dropping Goodwin and using Behich, Marrone, and Germano in different roles to normal I think shows how he likes having players who can be used in different positions, and how he likes to adjust his tactics from week to week. I think we'll miss this next year unless Milicic has been learning and can pick up from where JVS leaves off.

CCM looked the better side for most of the first half, but I thought we started getting on top after about 35 minutes. We were well on top at the start of the second half and the goal went with the run of play. I was pissed off we conceded a penalty only minutes later - we often seem likely to concede shortly after scoring. And it was so unnecessary. Fred was really good today, but it was a poor decision to tackle at that moment. Anyway, we were let off the hook and we were due a bit of luck against this side. I didn't think it was a save either, but a massive hats off to Bolton if it was. Good effort from Good, Colosimo, Hamill and Bolton for the clean sheet.

Big 3 points. Well done!

I have only been a member for onw year and after missing derby 2, I have to say thatw as my favourite game this year. Loud chanting in the first half, I liked that new chant, even better when all have arms around necks and jumping. easier rythem to jump to than super melbourne. Paper throwing was great and good job to all the water and beer throwers, it was a sick atmosphere when we scored. You would have thought it was raining. Also that was a wicked goal celebration from all of yarraside. Great finish again with we are melbourne. But my highlight to be the ibini ballotelli chant, that made my day.

On a darker side, to the 3 teens at the front, I'm not wanting to gave a real go at them but they are not singing, they are just filming, and they think the can diss other memebers of the terrace who are actuallu doing stuff and tell people to sing when they clearly are not. The terrace is becoming like a family (in a sense dont kill me over that statement) we all stick out for eachother.

For some teens who just lean at the front doing nothing, but yet they are dissing others, that stuff is not on.

What an emotionally draining win...!! Fantastic to beat the CCM as prior to this game the pricks always seemed to have our measure. Another turning point for the season...

The ref was a disgrace and Fred was immense! He ran harder than anyone on the pitch, especially in the first half when the heat was on. Great job Aziz, and agree with Tesla, we should switch him to the right for a period and let him cut in and create havoc...

To the Yarraside, 4 things:

1 - Great job / great effort once gain and the papers looked fantastic when we scored

2 - Caution! paper is flammable and I wouldnt want piles of it packed around my feet, in a crowd, with lots of heat and flares going off....

3 - Please reconsider the sha la la la la chant ... it doesnt really work and sounds pretty lame

4 - I will be posting a new chant suggestion based on the Darth Vader tune in the chants section

Agree with what you said sash, but I dunno if I would have called that formation a 3-4-3.

I must admit, I'm no expert on formations. So I'm happy to be corrected.

From what I was watching, Good, Colosimo and Hamill were playing as a back three, and Behich, Babalj and Dugandzic looked like our normal two wingers and striker up front. But whatever was going on in the middle of the park was beyond my comprehension. Looked like Fred doing almost everything, Thompson having too many of his passes intercepted, and Marrone and Reid as defensive or covering mids.

JVS is possibly the best coach in the league when it comes to adjusting formations and tactics according to the opposition. It's why we're usually a chance against any opposition. And I think this was a key reason we won all those games a while ago. But missing key players probably limited the tactical variety he could use. Having everyone available now gives him more options.

He's played a 3-4-3 against CCM before, so I suppose that wasn't a surprise. But dropping Goodwin and using Behich, Marrone, and Germano in different roles to normal I think shows how he likes having players who can be used in different positions, and how he likes to adjust his tactics from week to week. I think we'll miss this next year unless Milicic has been learning and can pick up from where JVS leaves off.

CCM looked the better side for most of the first half, but I thought we started getting on top after about 35 minutes. We were well on top at the start of the second half and the goal went with the run of play. I was pissed off we conceded a penalty only minutes later - we often seem likely to concede shortly after scoring. And it was so unnecessary. Fred was really good today, but it was a poor decision to tackle at that moment. Anyway, we were let off the hook and we were due a bit of luck against this side. I didn't think it was a save either, but a massive hats off to Bolton if it was. Good effort from Good, Colosimo, Hamill and Bolton for the clean sheet.

Big 3 points. Well done!

Good comments there Sash. Have to say I thought Bolton saved the penalty, but that may be as a result of where we sit. I've watched it again but the camera has almost the same angle so of course it looks like a save. Anyway, gave my 3-2-1 to Bolton, Good and Behich, with Babalj unlucky to miss out. If only he had buried that second chance we would have run all over them.

Overall, good performance in awful conditions, and with a card-happy referee.

My main concern is the midfield. Fred, Thompson and Reid coughed up the ball far too frequently for my liking. Mainly, it seems to me, because they try to take on a man rather than make the simple pass along the ground to someone going past. Also too many little dinky passes in the air instead of on the deck - makes control that much more difficult.

Thought JvS' overall tactics were brilliant. He did well to rest Goodwin. Better not to over-play some players, and I'm thinking that in the future both Fred and Dugandzic may need to rest for the odd game. We need to be thinking about this in terms of who we release and recruit.

I must admit, I'm no expert on formations. So I'm happy to be corrected.

From what I was watching, Good, Colosimo and Hamill were playing as a back three, and Behich, Babalj and Dugandzic looked like our normal two wingers and striker up front. But whatever was going on in the middle of the park was beyond my comprehension. Looked like Fred doing almost everything, Thompson having too many of his passes intercepted, and Marrone and Reid as defensive or covering mids.

Looked like that to me as well.