Melbourne Football

Week 21: Melbourne v Cental Coast Mariners - Feb 26 - 5pm

Hammerhead

Is Matty Thompson our most important player? The glue that holds us all together?

No surprise when he and Fred are introduced together we get a result no matter how ugly it was.

With Dugandzic, Behich, Fred and Thompson all hopefully starting next week, we are getting our better players back at the right time.

Edited by Dynamo_Melb_Warrior

Need a win But, Cannot be sitting here hoping for a Point! Our Home Game, no excuses! I don't care how we win, Ugly, Not great for 80 Minutes with a late. Takes 1 second for the ball to hit the net, and we need a win against the mariners! i expect nothing less

Really wouldn't suprise me if we won, They are out of form, We got our main boys back, They have a good chance of losing this weekend which will kill their confidence even more, AND they have a midweek game a few days before this (Against GCU, though) but can see us scrapping a 2-1 result.

Olyroos have a midweek game after playing a friendly yesterday. Our guys will be arriving back 2 days before the CCM game. I would start one of Behich or Mate and have the other playing off the bench.

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Good Goodwin

Germano Fred Thompson

Terra Babalj Dugandzic/Behich

Mattei Dugandzic/Behich Shroj Reid

I prefer Good over Hamil in the CB spot but don't think there's much difference either way

Edited by Rocco Jones

I think the Olyroos players will be ready to play. I read Amini expects to be back 2 days prior and he expects he'll be ready for the game.

I got a feeling we can win. We are a very streaky team, the players have 9 days to get ready and don't have to travel. Plus CCM have been ordinary or not their best lately.

We have so many player back and more coming back from injury. No reason why we shouldn't be able to start making a strong push for the finals from this game.

i know babalj is good, but i think that he will start on the bench again, just gives us a different option coming off the bench

I agree that Babalj is better off the bench but I think it's a bit of a Catch 22 situation as I also believe we need him as a target man for our structure to work. I think we really look lost with Terra in the centre forward/false number 9 role, crossing it in two feet over his head etc.

babalj must start, he plays so much better when he's getting good service from Fred in the midfield and when he gets a chance he'll score

Williams was actually decent against gold coast, probably the best game i've seen him play with us IMO, so he would be considered to be in the starting lineup against the mariners

the olyroos get back a couple of days before the match, so they'll be available to play, but not sure if JVS would start either dugandzic or behich, i doubt Hoff would even get a spot on the bench with the players we have available at the moment.

Edited by heart_fan10

Will be massive to get three points in this one. Finally have key members coming back into the squad.

Bolton

Marrone Good Colisimo Goodwin

Germano

Fred Thompson

Mate Babalj terra

Bench: Behich, Hamill, Walker/Williams, Mattei

Has Goodwin played on the left wing at all in NYL? Surely he could be considered for the left wing spot in the run in to the finals when Behich returns to left back? Or is it more likely that Behich may be considered for left wing and Goodwin to retain his place at left back?

Will be massive to get three points in this one. Finally have key members coming back into the squad.

Bolton

Germano

Fred Thompson

Mate Babalj terra

Has Goodwin played on the left wing at all in NYL? Surely he could be considered for the left wing spot in the run in to the finals when Behich returns to left back? Or is it more likely that Behich may be considered for left wing and Goodwin to retain his place at left back?

AFAIK, they are both wingers converted to fullbacks. We did play behich on the wing for one game early on in the season and he did well. I would prefer Behich on the wing for his ability to get past players, Goodwin can put in some crosses from full back.

Need Shroj in that defensive midfield role.

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Good Goodwin

Shroj

Germano Fred

Duganzic Babalj Behich/Terra

Bench: Behich/terra Thompson Hamill

Would like to see Behich play up in mid and switch with Goodwin, Behich normally has to do it all night by himself and slows down after half time, could be good having them play togeather (and sub who's more exhausted after 60 mins) Thompson on bench for 1 game due to injury.

Bolton

Germano

Fred Thompson

Mate Babalj terra

Goodwin played on the wing with Raiders in SA and Oakleigh, only recenlty converted to a left back. But both behich and Goodwin could switch roles as needed.

Guys you gotta remember something...

Goodwin is best LW we have, but while Behich was away, he was also our best LB. With Behich back, I'd drop Worm moving Goodwin to LW and Behich into LB.

Seeing Marrone/Dugandzic and Behich/Goodwin wing combinations would be JIZZ worthy!

I'd also consider starting Hoff over Eli, for 2 simple reasons. Hoff is a better starter, Eli is a better sub.

Bolton

Marrone --- Colosimo --- Thompson--- Behich

--- Srhoj ---------- Germano

Fred

Dugandzic ------- Hoffman ------ Goodwin

Bench: Mattei, Hamill, Terra, Babalj

Subs:

Hamill > Germano (Hamill CB, Thompson LCM)

Babalj > Hoffman

Terra > Dugandzic

Thomson at CB? No thank you. We need his talents further up the field. Especially when we have both Hammill and Good fit. Either of them having a run next to Colisimo will be a good thing. The only times Good and Hamill have been found out is when paired together due to lack of an experienced cb. I think Good has shaded Hamill on points over all this year.

Depending on Thomson's fitness though we have to drop Thomson to the bench and promote Shroj to starter and drop Hamill from the bench.