Melbourne Football

Neil Kilkenny

haz

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Great game from him. On a couple of occasions though I thought he could have had a shot instead of passing the ball off.

Agreed. Seemed hesitant to shoot & it got me wondering about his goal scoring record. 

League record: 3 goals in the last 6 seasons but 6 in 4 before that. Never going to get a lot of chances where he plays, but perhaps he's down on confidence in regards to net bulging ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agreed. Seemed hesitant to shoot & it got me wondering about his goal scoring record. 

League record: 3 goals in the last 6 seasons but 6 in 4 before that. Never going to get a lot of chances where he plays, but perhaps he's down on confidence in regards to net bulging ?

A bit like corners and free-kicks this is the sort of thing that I would hope the coaching team are doing with the players rather than repetitive physicals. Other than those coming back from injury/sickness ought to be fully match-fit by now.

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Seems a bit like Murdocca in that sense. Loves to pass and move th ball around but just refuses to have a crack himself

He and Brandan are the engine or workhorses of the team without them we would in all probability be struggling to either retain the ball or get it back when we lose possession so they tend not to be in the limelight like our strikers and attacking mid field players. I believe they are doing a brilliant job for us regardless of that so called incident .

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

• JANUARY 30 2017 - 5:40PM

Melbourne City must find a way to make possession pay, says Neil Kilkenny

Michael Lynch 

Fans and pundits are rarely short of suggesting the names of in-form A-League players who should be considered for the Socceroos.

The latest to be given the social media push is Newcastle's Andrew Nabbout, who has relaunched his career at the Jets and scored two cracking goals to see off Melbourne City last Friday night.

Ange Postecoglou is more than willing to pick locally based players for the national team in recent times. Roar striker Jamie Maclaren, Perth fullback Josh Risdon, Melbourne Victory defender Jason Geria, Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan and Aaron Mooy (before his move to England) have all been called up for Socceroo squads from the A-League.

But one man who rarely gets a mention these days is Melbourne City midfielder Neil Kilkenny, who recently returned to play in the A-League after an entire career spent playing in the English leagues, including a stint in the Premier League with Birmingham City.

London-born, Kilkenny was raised in Queensland from the age of four until he was 11, when his family returned to Britain.

He opted to play for the Socceroos and – mainly under Pim Verbeek and Holger Osieck – was capped 14 times as well as appearing at the Beijing Olympics for the Graham Arnold-coached Olyroos in 2008.

Kilkenny has not figured in the Postecoglou era, having slipped well down the midfield pecking order behind captain Mile Jedinak, Mooy, Massimo Luongo, Mark Milligan and Tom Rogic.

At 31 he would be a short-term solution, but he is younger than Jedinak and a similar age to Milligan, who is a key part of the squad and plays in a similar midfield role. 

His technical ability is sound and his capacity to retain possession, recycle the ball and act as a link player between defence and the attacking midfielders has seen Kilkenny emerge as a key figure at City in his first season. He is tactically smart and a vocal leader on the pitch.

While he realises the chance is unlikely to come again, Kilkenny would appreciate the opportunity to show what he can do in the green and gold.

Kilkenny, who is looking forward to the Melbourne derby next weekend, won't speculate on the likelihood of a recall, saying only that he plans to play well for City and hopes the right people are watching him.

He is more vocal when asked why things have started to go wrong for his team and why they have struggled since winning the FFA Cup in November, when they became the first and only team to defeat Sydney FC this season.

"Its been very frustrating for us," Kilkenny said. "We are going through a difficult patch where we are dominating games, having lots of possession, failing to take advantage of it and then falling victim to breakaway goals.

"We know we have got players who can win games, we know we have a lot of flair in the front third. We just need to keep our heads down and figure out how to win games. 

"We haven't picked up the points we wanted to, but a lot of our games have been draws. Either we haven't put the opposition away or we have let them in to grab a point," he said.

"A lot of teams do adopt a very defensive approach against us – you saw that with Newcastle the other night – but we have to find a way to get through that."

Kilkenny said he is enjoying his first taste of competitive football in the country he grew up in. He said the game is more technical than the physically demanding second tier league in England.

But his biggest beef is how the referees pull up players for what he believes are minor infractions that would be ignored in Britain.

"Hopefully we will get a ref who lets things flow for the derby against Victory. For me there are too many here who make things stop and start rather than let the game flow."

Kilkenny is happy with his own performance in his first six months in a City shirt.

"It's been good being here with City and in Melbourne. I am happy with the way I am playing on a personal level. The game is a bit more technical here, which I don't mind, but as I said, its probably a bit too stop and start for my liking."

Think he's good enough for consideration

1 minute ago, japiedog said:

He should have been named captain

I think the pressure of captaincy is to great for Bruno

Agree, Bruno should focus on what he does best - you reckon Bruno negotiated captaincy in his new contract? He is an absolute example of hard work but a little odd for a non native English speaker in only his second year at the club.

Neil is very vocal and comes more across as leader. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, japiedog said:

He should have been named captain

I think the pressure of captaincy is too great for Bruno

Completely agree with you on this. This was so obvious, right from the first couple of matches. Again, IMO this is evidence of the piss-poor management out there at Bundoora. 

• Like 2

He has been a good pick up,  but I don't think he is at socceroos level.  In his position is jedinak and milligan. Both better players than Kilkenny and I'd prefer them to take a younger option as back up. 

All that is good cause he won't miss any games for us 

I dont think this has completely been the issue with Bruno.

I think the fact we have very slow build up play doestn help him either. If you look at the way we played football last season, we really never gave defenders a chance to settle and he tore them a new arsehole.

Now we take fuckin ages to bring it up the park and he gets triple teamed or we have cunts like Kamau  coughing up the ball on the wing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neio said:

He has been a good pick up,  but I don't think he is at socceroos level.  In his position is jedinak and milligan. Both better players than Kilkenny and I'd prefer them to take a younger option as back up. 

All that is good cause he won't miss any games for us 

I refuse to admit that both Jedinak and Milligan are better than him.

By far our best player this year.

16 hours ago, [LIBBA] said:

I dont think this has completely been the issue with Bruno.

I think the fact we have very slow build up play doestn help him either. If you look at the way we played football last season, we really never gave defenders a chance to settle and he tore them a new arsehole.

Now we take fuckin ages to bring it up the park and he gets triple teamed or we have cunts like Kamau  coughing up the ball on the wing.

I'll agree with you there Libba regarding the build up play , but the captaincy issue does put a lot of extra pressure on him. he spends too much time arguing with the referee , rightly or wrongly this affects the Ref's decision making at times

as @Mr MO mentioned, and as I thought as well, it was obviously part of his "demands" for resigning with the club

• Like 2

Agreed, Bruno seemed like a strange choice for captain at best and a comical one at worst. You need a guy who is willing and able to do all the mid-week interviews and the PR stuff and Bruno, bless him, is obviously very limited in what he can provide in that regard. With the turnover of players in the last offseason, I just assumed that they'd have to give the captaincy to Sorensen.

Even more so than in sports like AFL, basketball and cricket, it seems like the armband is generally given to the best leader in football rather than just the best player (take Kisnorbo, for example). To be honest, I didn't really know much about Kilkenny prior to this season, despite obviously that he was sufficient quality to be a semi-regular for the Socceroos not long ago, but anyone who's watched some of our games this year would realise that he's the captain of this team, whether he's got the armband or not. The fact that he's probably been our best player anyway is icing on the cake.

• Like 6

I was one of the few who wanted bruno as captain, i still think its a good choice. A captain in my book is not always necessary a player who has to be loud and vocal, rather someone who gives it his absolute all until the final whistle. Have a look at bruno in the 90th minute of games, he's still running up and putting pressure on the opposition goalkeepers and players. The bloke gives his all, all game, a great example for the fellow players in the squad to follow behind. I wouldn't of had an issue in fairness giving kilkenny the arm band either after seeing him play, but the fact we had all seen bruno play for us last season and we understood the type of player he is, and if he didn't display leadership qualities in his play last season, then i don't know who did. Kilkenny was a new signing and an unknown factor to so many of us, i think it was quite reasonable to give the captaincy to bruno. 

Now i agree however he hasn't played as well this season as last (considering he's second in the golden boot race i find it pretty ludicrous to say and yes i understand he has scored off a lot of penalties this year but you still have to kick them in, you don't get a goal for walking up to the spot) but i feel that simply saying the burden of the captaincy is effecting his game so greatly is just a cop out for the real reason he is not having a good year: Tim Cahill

Cahill and him on the field just cannot co-exist. Cahill just clogs up all the area bruno would usually operate in, Cahill also stifles our ball movement. Last year Novillo or Mooy would be the ones working with bruno, doing cheeky one-twos with him instead, so many times Cahill gets the ball on the edge of the box, and because he is hopeless with his feet, fucks up any final or possible killer ball he could give to Bruno. Cahill will just generally kick the ball out wide if he gets it in a dangerous position, and so the game of keep things off starts again, with us passing it pointlessly around the box. This is not Cahills fault entirely can i express, if he was to come off the bench instead of being played out of position, their wouldn't be an issue, but until we have a proper number 10, Bruno will struggle.

TLDR: Get a proper number 10, get a proper Bruno 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I was one of the few who wanted bruno as captain, i still think its a good choice. A captain in my book is not always necessary a player who has to be loud and vocal, rather someone who gives it his absolute all until the final whistle. Have a look at bruno in the 90th minute of games, he's still running up and putting pressure on the opposition goalkeepers and players. The bloke gives his all, all game, a great example for the fellow players in the squad to follow behind. I wouldn't of had an issue in fairness giving kilkenny the arm band either after seeing him play, but the fact we had all seen bruno play for us last season and we understood the type of player he is, and if he didn't display leadership qualities in his play last season, then i don't know who did. Kilkenny was a new signing and an unknown factor to so many of us, i think it was quite reasonable to give the captaincy to bruno. 

Now i agree however he hasn't played as well this season as last (considering he's second in the golden boot race i find it pretty ludicrous to say and yes i understand he has scored off a lot of penalties this year but you still have to kick them in, you don't get a goal for walking up to the spot) but i feel that simply saying the burden of the captaincy is effecting his game so greatly is just a cop out for the real reason he is not having a good year: Tim Cahill

Cahill and him on the field just cannot co-exist. Cahill just clogs up all the area bruno would usually operate in, Cahill also stifles our ball movement. Last year Novillo or Mooy would be the ones working with bruno, doing cheeky one-twos with him instead, so many times Cahill gets the ball on the edge of the box, and because he is hopeless with his feet, fucks up any final or possible killer ball he could give to Bruno. Cahill will just generally kick the ball out wide if he gets it in a dangerous position, and so the game of keep things off starts again, with us passing it pointlessly around the box. This is not Cahills fault entirely can i express, if he was to come off the bench instead of being played out of position, their wouldn't be an issue, but until we have a proper number 10, Bruno will struggle.

TLDR: Get a proper number 10, get a proper Bruno 

You and I should have a beer together!

C+ = C- for our field play but thanks for header goals!

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You and I should have a beer together!

C+ = C- for our field play but thanks for header goals!

As long as you shout i'm there:)

I don't know who's idea it was to him in any type of role outside of finisher because at the moment he just kills us. He's one of the best finishers ever and what do we do? Play him on the edge of the box ffs. The bloke shouldn't leave the box for the entire game, outside of going until the tunnels for half time.

Edited by kingofhearts

10 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

As long as you shout i'm there:)

I don't know who's idea it was to him in any type of role outside of finisher because at the moment he just kills us. He's one of the best finishers ever and what do we do? Play him on the edge of the box ffs. The bloke shouldn't leave the box for the entire game, outside of going until the tunnels for half time.

I know mate, hence I get frustrated a people having a go at teenagers and fringe players, missing a real big issue in our play.

Look we need to play Cahill from the FFA and Bruno negotiated captaincy in his extension - we are just stuffed this year like this.

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I know mate, hence I get frustrated a people having a go at teenagers and fringe players, missing a real big issue in our play.

Look we need to play Cahill from the FFA and Bruno negotiated captaincy in his extension - we are just stuffed this year like this.

What evidence is there about this "Bruno negotiated the captaincy" theory?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I know, its ridiculous right! As if he wasnt the obvious choice anyway (outside of Sorensen).

Arguments over captaincy make me laugh anyway, nobody sees what the players are like behind closed doors so who can really say Bruno is a sub-par captain or should be replaced?

Is definitely an on-field leader from what you can see on match-day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I know, its ridiculous right! As if he wasnt the obvious choice anyway (outside of Sorensen).

Think we are drifting of the point a little.... You can't bench your captain and Cahill also seems to get a start when fit - those 2 don't work together as a 10 and centre forward should.

Personally I find Kilkenny and Sorensen better suited as a captains it would be less a distraction for their game. Kilkenny was new at the club so maybe too early but Sorenson started the season in goals as a number one. 

I don't see that the captain on the field needs to necessarily be the players' leader off the field. It seems that some clubs have a "leadership group" for the latter - indeed Heart started out that way with a 3-man leadership group that included one of the younger players in Klim Taseski. I've always felt that the captain on the field should be someone who's playing more in the middle of the field - in the "old days" that's the reasoning (I think) why he was often what we called a "half-back." They can be quicker onto the scene to defuse a situation or represent to the referee. Using present-day parlance, IMO first choice should be a mid-fielder.

I don't think we're debating so much the personal qualities of the various players we have but rather the practicalities of being the captain and how it can affect their focus on the game itself.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't see that the captain on the field needs to necessarily be the players' leader off the field. It seems that some clubs have a "leadership group" for the latter - indeed Heart started out that way with a 3-man leadership group that included one of the younger players in Klim Taseski. I've always felt that the captain on the field should be someone who's playing more in the middle of the field - in the "old days" that's the reasoning (I think) why he was often what we called a "half-back." They can be quicker onto the scene to defuse a situation or represent to the referee. Using present-day parlance, IMO first choice should be a mid-fielder.

I don't think we're debating so much the personal qualities of the various players we have but rather the practicalities of being the captain and how it can affect their focus on the game itself.

I get that, but i reckon Bruno would find it very insulting to have it insinuated that he isnt focused because he is captain.

People usually struggle as captain due to added pressure, not lack of trying or focus. Liekwise, some people thrive off of being captain with the added responsibility.

IMO Bruno is going ok, and most of his 'drop in performance?' can attributed to being triple teamed due to the slowness of the build up play, the consistent fouling that is only rewarded half of the time, and the loss of quality balls in from Mooy and Novillo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I get that, but i reckon Bruno would find it very insulting to have it insinuated that he isnt focused because he is captain.

People usually struggle as captain due to added pressure, not lack of trying or focus. Liekwise, some people thrive off of being captain with the added responsibility.

IMO Bruno is going ok, and most of his 'drop in performance?' can attributed to being triple teamed due to the slowness of the build up play, the consistent fouling that is only rewarded half of the time, and the loss of quality balls in from Mooy and Novillo. 

"Focus", "pressure", "responsibility" - however we like to express it, I still think Bruno is being affected by being captain on top of carrying the expectations of a marquee player and the other factors you mention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

About as much evidence as the "we play Cahill because FFA or his contract say we have to" theory.

i don't believe that for a second either.

It is all nonsense of course!! Let's keep playing with a line up who doesn't suit our system or with a system which doesn't suit our line up.  

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, GetOn said:

Well deserved winner of Supporters POTY and overall POTY... one of the only guys who was consistent all year and actually played with heart and passion.   Would love to see him as captain next year with a contract extension!

Was at the awards night, can confirm he said "the lads" 1000 times in his acceptance speech

• Like 2