Melbourne Football

Neil Kilkenny

haz

51 minutes ago, malloy said:

I am a huge Killa fan, but the issue with pairing Brattan and Killa is that they both tend to occupy the same space rendering one less useful (I think this was part of the problem with Brattan dropping off a fair bit last season once Killa moved out of the CB/CDM role).

It could be that Wazza rates Bratten better as the deep lying playmaker and feels that the other CM should be an ouright defensive mid.

I will be sad to see him go, but if he isn't in Wazza's plans then we need to get rid of him ASAP to free up cap space.

Aye, it seems that way unfortunately.

I guess it comes down to you either have kilkenny paired with a different midfielder (which outside of budz, we don't have a lot of options) or keep the combo as it is now with brattan and malik. Unless we pick up another midfielder in the transfer window? (which doesn't seem likely unfortuantly.

It's just a shame we're losing a really good player for nothing

30 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Aye, it seems that way unfortunately.

I guess it comes down to you either have kilkenny paired with a different midfielder (which outside of budz, we don't have a lot of options) or keep the combo as it is now with brattan and malik. Unless we pick up another midfielder in the transfer window? (which doesn't seem likely unfortuantly.

It's just a shame we're losing a really good player for nothing

FWIW i reckon the Ossie-Bratts partnership has been more fruitful in 6 weeks than Bratts-Killa was in a whole season last year. Killa is undoubtedly a better player than Malik, but for whatever reason this combo has so far struck the perfect balance between attack and defence. Does it make sense? Not really, but its working and Joyce in particular should be commended for it.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

FWIW i reckon the Ossie-Bratts partnership has been more fruitful in 6 weeks than Bratts-Killa was in a whole season last year. Killa is undoubtedly a better player than Malik, but for whatever reason this combo has so far struck the perfect balance between attack and defence. Does it make sense? Not really, but its working and Joyce in particular should be commended for it.

You're right however, I really just wish we could've found a better midfield partner for kilkenny when he was here because i believe him paired with a better midfield parnter would've reaped better rewards then what we have now.

But hey, we're winning and its working so i'm not going to just keep complaining for the sake of complaining, lets go Malik and Bratten!

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He's gone, official.

Neil Kilkenny to depart Melbourne City FC

melbournecityfc.com.au

40 mins ago

Melbourne City FC and Neil Kilkenny have agreed the mutual termination of the player’s contract, effective immediately.

Kilkenny, 32, joined Melbourne City FC from Preston North End in July 2016. Kilkenny made 28 appearances in the A-League for Melbourne City FC. We would like to thank Neil for his contribution to our Club and wish him and his family all the very best.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/neil-kilkenny-depart-melbourne-city-fc

Im happy for him to move after sitting on his arse all season. Ill be clapping for Neil when we play agaisnt him

• Like 3

Best of luck Neil.

my favourite player. A footballer’s footballer. To watch his positioning in a match was to watch near perfection- always in the right spot, nearly always taking the best option. A lesson for any young player on how to play as a defensive midfielder. 

Could never understand why our current gaffer wanted to play a defender ahead of you. Seemed insanity.

thanks for the pleasure of watching you in action, I have no doubt you’ll make a big impact where ever you go.

PS no point hanging on to quality if you won’t play it, moving him on is best for everybody.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

PS no point hanging on to quality if you won’t play it, moving him on is best for everybody.

Not to mention the cap space he frees up,

He was at Preston and they were in League One when he signed (promoted to Championship in his final season). According to a few articles (one source below), I guess he would have been getting around $120k-$170k. Assuming he regained that salary here, I think thats a fair chunk we could allow for Budzik to move under the cap till the end of the season, considering he is rumoured to be on only $400k-$500k per season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

36 minutes ago, haz said:

Not to mention the cap space he frees up,

He was at Preston and they were in League One when he signed (promoted to Championship in his final season). According to a few articles (one source below), I guess he would have been getting around $120k-$170k. Assuming he regained that salary here, I think thats a fair chunk we could allow for Budzik to move under the cap till the end of the season, considering he is rumoured to be on only $400k-$500k per season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

I was looking at articles today and Killa's salary was thought to be in excess of $200k

I'm really conflicted by Kilkennys departure. Firstly it felt like he played way more than 28 games (much the same as Engelaar) And as Shahanga said earlier he was a pleasure to watch.

But what really bites my crank is that he will go to another A League club. 

The conflict is that to me he is a quality starting player and it seems a mistake to release him, but part of me thinks maybe it's the move that has to be made for the big squad picture. Similar to what Ange did early days at Brisbane.

Now if it pans out that Kilkenny Brandan and Cahill had to leave to create a championship winning side then so be it, no one can argue but if we stay as losing semi finalist then its a huge error.

Thanks Kilkenny those 28 games were quality. 

• Like 2

Killa's farewell message.

"Where to start, I’ve had such a wonderful time here @melbournecity 
To all the amazing people in the background that support the club every day, what an amazing bunch of people you are. The assistant coaches, the physio’s, the doctors, too many to name but I truly appreciate what you did for me every day.
To Melbourne city and the City group , A big thank you for giving me the opportunity to come and play here in Melbourne. Memory’s I’ll always remember, such as winning City’s First piece of silverware. Also an honour to receive player of the year, and Fans player of the year.
To my teammates, Amazing people. Amazing group. Best of luck for the future.
And especially to all the Fans. What a ride. An amazing time. Passionate and Loyal. A decision although tough, needed to be made.
Who knows, we may see each other again."

I really hope that one day we, the fans who go to AAMI Park, will have the opportunity to say farewell to our departing players - if not all of them, some of them anyway.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

To all the amazing people in the background that support the club every day, what an amazing bunch of people you are. The assistant coaches, the physio’s, the doctors, too many to name but I truly appreciate what you did for me every day.

No mention of Wazza indicates he was part of the swamp,

good,

now shut up and fk off.

3 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Now now there is absolutely no need for that, i am sure if you were ever in a similar situation you would do the same

Nope

so pull your big  head in

It's quite average actually 

what makes you so special?

Nothing, just have an opinion on a sooky la la that didn't get his own way and deserved to be shown the door like Valshitis and 'I am better than the world' Timmy.

His exclusion of Wazza in his statement just proves that he is a dick.

All respect to you if you don't agree. :up:

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, Blackout said:

Wow, you're like a rabid dog as soon as anyone implies that Joyce may actually have flaws.

What!!!!

For the record, I thought he was a dick last season for many of his outbursts on and off the pitch and it just prove to me that I was right. He could have easily said ' I thank the coaching staff etc etc...' but he didn't as he purposely excluded Wazza. So rather than leave honourably he was a dick to the end.

I am just happy he has gone even though he was a good player for us last season.

You can't have total unity in a club at this level with his type of attitude. 

Wazza is changing the culture and like it or not this is how it is done.

Drain the swamp.

5 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

And as an aside I for one will wish Kilkenny good luck (other than against us ;) ) and all the best

Excellent post mate.

I believe he conducted himself with class in the farewell. If he had a personal grievance with the coach, then not mentioning him at all was the most effective way to air that without sounding like a cock. I too wish him the best, I really liked the way he played and thought he was extremely stiff to not play this season.

I think I mentioned it in a post before the start of the season when I watched them at training, where he was quite aggressive in his tackling during some of the drills - to the point where it nearly got heated. I can see how it may have rubbed some peeps the wrong way. In any case, it's done now and all we can hope for is that it works out the best for him whilst not coming back to haunt us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Surprise surprise, a certain member runs their mouth like the keyboard warrior they are the minute an influential player leaves the club.

Of which the apparent "problematic" behaviour of the exiting player is exactly what the same potty mouth keyboard warrior does time and time again on the forums. Who would have thought !!!!!

To open up the discussion about players being "dicks", i dont really see how he is being a dick - he is / was simply offering his opinion (no different to here on the forums btw) each time he spoke, and even then he (1) always bled for the team, (2) stepped up / put in whatever he could for a 90 min shift, and (3) put his head down / didnt complain publicly / got on with it this season when Wazza decided to bench him. 

Hence Kilkenny won our player of the season last season.

Personally, I always found Kilkenny friendly and very happy to talk to fans / do photos. Hardly the act of a "dick"

He did play close to the edge, as did Brandan, as does Fornaroli and a number of other players for City and at other clubs - part and parcel of the game.

To paint Kilkenny with a negative brush is to do so for all players,

Generally I'd say each to their own (on one provision) since most of us have our own little nuisances.

The only provision is that each of us is able to objectively take and talk the good with the bad, since the way we see things isn't always the best / most right, what works / is seen now is culpable for change over time and is not the only way of reaching a certain outcome.

And if Kilkenny is such a dick / is such a big deal (even though from other responses on the forum here is to say Kilkenny's not much of / at all a dick), how the fuck could you possibly defend McCormack playing for this club when he joined - FFS he was chased outta Aston Villa by the coach for (at least in the eyes of Steve Bruce) for being a fuck nut in training and in his lack of professionalism?!?!?

Seriously, not every person at every club or work place will get along.  Not every player (even when exiting) will act like Cahill or like Fornaroli.

Get the fuck over yourself.

And as an aside I for one will wish Kilkenny good luck (other than against us ;) ) and all the best

So what you are saying is that you disagree with my view? Fair enough, that's what a discussion forum is all about isn't it? You can huff and puff all you want and type all the personal insults you want, I don't know you and I don't care about your assessment of me. 

You need to relax man, geez.

Kilkenny was a good player no doubt, but as a lot of the members on this forum highlighted many times over the last 2 seasons he is a dick. He obviously thought he was beyond the Wazza way and demanded the right to start every game. It was never going to end well for him.

As I said, all he need to do is thank everyone, and from my viewpoint what he did just shows the reason why he was part of the poor culture that the Wazza has been brought in to fix.

The polar opposite of Killa is Brattan and how obviously he has the respect for Wazza and his directives to do exactly what he was told and obviously has bought into the cultural change. The result is that Brattan has developed into a better  team player than Killa ever was.

I am glad he is gone but I would have hoped he would have left with a bit more class. 

Drain the swamp Wazza and develop this team into a powerhouse.

Edited by playmaker

OK, public warning to all parties. Keep the discussion to the subject of the thread. People come on to this Forum to discuss football, and they don't want to see threads degenerate into slanging matches about the personal attributes of other posters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

He obviously thought he was beyond the Wazza way and demanded the right to start every game. It was never going to end well for him.

I'm 100% sure this happened. Great post. Glad I got to read this insight into a players thinking on a forum. 

I was originally sad he was gone, but after reading this good riddance Killer.