Melbourne Football

Ruon Tongyik

jeffplz

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO that's unfair. With the A-League there is no proper "reserves" competition - squad size prevents it - and so fringe players have to show what they've got during training and in the NYL. I think you'll find that he had every chance to show his worth. IIRC when he did play in the A-League he looked composed on the ball and quite good coming forward, but we copped quite a few goals when he was part of the defence.

I think Ruon was 'unlucky', he played well next to Jako but with Malik both were shambles. When you have Bort and Jako (wtf happened to La Rocca?) as CB there is no way he would make it into the XI

3 minutes ago, haz said:

I think Ruon was 'unlucky', he played well next to Jako but with Malik both were shambles. When you have Bort and Jako (wtf happened to La Rocca?) as CB there is no way he would make it into the XI

La Rocca also has another season on his contract. IIRC last anyone heard was that he was "recovering" from a calf injury - presume we'll "know" when the boys return to training. No news either on Malik or Bozanic, so obviously Joyce isn't rushing in to keep them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO that's unfair. With the A-League there is no proper "reserves" competition - squad size prevents it - and so fringe players have to show what they've got during training and in the NYL. I think you'll find that he had every chance to show his worth. IIRC when he did play in the A-League he looked composed on the ball and quite good coming forward, but we copped quite a few goals when he was part of the defence.

I think that's a cop out, You ultimately never know about a player until you see them play.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

La Rocca also has another season on his contract. IIRC last anyone heard was that he was "recovering" from a calf injury - presume we'll "know" when the boys return to training. No news either on Malik or Bozanic, so obviously Joyce isn't rushing in to keep them.

As you mentioned with O'Halloran, I hope that most signings are made early so they can have a full pre-season

My view on Ruon hasn’t changed. Has the football skills but not the football brain. Had no idea what a centre back should do.

To learn he needed to play NPL  next to a veteran. Mistake not to loan him out last winter. I wish him well at Western Sydney but I wonder how he will get the learning opportunities he so desperately needs when his selection will cost his team games.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

My view on Ruon hasn’t changed. Has the football skills but not the football brain. Had no idea what a centre back should do.

To learn he needed to play NPL  next to a veteran. Mistake not to loan him out last winter. I wish him well at Western Sydney but I wonder how he will get the learning opportunities he so desperately needs when his selection will cost his team games.

@Shahanga Do we do loans? I'm trying to think of one.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We never have but I thought it was coincidence. Let me guess, another strange FFA policy?

We can't do loans between A-League clubs, but I can't see why it would not be possible to a club not in the A-League, whether Australian or overseas.

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We can't do loans between A-League clubs, but I can't see why it would not be possible to a club not in the A-League, whether Australian or overseas.

Not as simple as it would appear IMO.

As far as overseas; firstly you'd have to find a club that's willing to take on a fringe A-League player and give them enough playing time to make the deal worth it for us, then you'd need to consider whether their coaching and facilities are up to the grade and if you'd be comfortable with them handling that player for the duration of the loan. Then there's the whole issue of work permits and as far as I'm aware Tongik doesn't have an EU passport so would be limited to an Asian nation and many of those leagues have foreign player quotas, using one of those on an A-League youth player isn't going to happen.

In regards to the NPL; I'm happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgeable than myself but I don't think we can even loan players to NPL clubs either. My understanding is that players who join NPL clubs then return are actually released from their A-League contract, sign a short term contract in the NPL and then re-sign with the A-League club once the NPL season is finished. This is how it was explained to me by a player's parent at one of the City NPL games a couple of years ago, so it might've changed since then

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Is it my wishful thinking but I thought that FFA had changed the rules to allow loans next season

It would never surprise me if FFA does not know just what rules it actually has. It is very hard to find an up-to-date version of any particular rule or set of rules.

On 20/06/2018 at 10:57 AM, Embee said:

Not as simple as it would appear IMO.

As far as overseas; firstly you'd have to find a club that's willing to take on a fringe A-League player and give them enough playing time to make the deal worth it for us, then you'd need to consider whether their coaching and facilities are up to the grade and if you'd be comfortable with them handling that player for the duration of the loan. Then there's the whole issue of work permits and as far as I'm aware Tongik doesn't have an EU passport so would be limited to an Asian nation and many of those leagues have foreign player quotas, using one of those on an A-League youth player isn't going to happen.

In regards to the NPL; I'm happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgeable than myself but I don't think we can even loan players to NPL clubs either. My understanding is that players who join NPL clubs then return are actually released from their A-League contract, sign a short term contract in the NPL and then re-sign with the A-League club once the NPL season is finished. This is how it was explained to me by a player's parent at one of the City NPL games a couple of years ago, so it might've changed since then

@Embee I found the latest National Registration Regulation concerning loans. Dated 10th April 2018. To put it briefly - a loan from an A-League club to an NPL club is technically possible but FFA can block it "at its absolute discretion." [That is, Sydney FC can do it, but no-one else can.]

Edited by jw1739
File deleted

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee I found the latest National Registration Regulation concerning loans. Dated 10th April 2018. To put it briefly - a loan from an A-League club to an NPL club is technically possible but FFA can block it "at its absolute discretion." [That is, Sydney FC can do it, but no-one else can.]Loans.thumb.jpg.3a5d53e13ec33364946edfecc4fd7657.jpg

Reads as if the default starting point is not to allow them unless there's extenuating circumstances.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Celt said:

Didn't know you couldn't loan players internally in the A-League. Bizarre rule tbh. 

Mate theyre are much more weirder ones.

Pretty much if the league is run like the NRL or AFL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris p said:

What could possibly be the problem with loans ? 

Ask FFA, also while you are there, ask about transfers. Oh and ask about 3+1 Visas. Last thing, also ask about expansion, 2nd div, P & R

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And three years later after a spell in the wilderness Tongyik is now doing a classy job marshalling the defence at Central Coast.

There was always an excellent footballer in there somewhere. It needed the right environment and coach to bring it out. Good for him, and those around him who have helped it to happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

There was always an excellent footballer in there somewhere. It needed the right environment and coach to bring it out. Good for him, and those around him who have helped it to happen. 

True the Mariners staff deserve praise, but I think experience and just plain old time were part of it. That and his refusal to quit. His next few years will be interesting to watch.

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

True the Mariners staff deserve praise, but I think experience and just plain old time were part of it. That and his refusal to quit. His next few years will be interesting to watch.

There is also his friendship with his neighbour, and that has matured him as a person and given him something to hang on to in life outside football. We all need that. 

• Like 1