Melbourne Football

Ruon Tongyik

jeffplz

• 1 month later...

Seriously what has happened to Ruon? He had a few issues that needed to be fixed defensively. But the only minutes he has played is at the under 23s. 

He seems to be behind Bart, Jakobsen, delbridge, I assume La Rocca still and now Muscat 

Is this another wazza doesn't like him so he doesn't play?

3 minutes ago, neio said:

Seriously what has happened to Ruon? He had a few issues that needed to be fixed defensively. But the only minutes he has played is at the under 23s. 

He seems to be behind Bart, Jakobsen, delbridge, I assume La Rocca still and now Muscat 

Is this another wazza doesn't like him so he doesn't play?

I reckon Joyce can't stand his attitude. From what I have heard he spends most of his time partying it up at La Trobe. I can't imagine Joyce woukd be hapoy with someone who doesn't put in the hard yardd.

On 3/3/2018 at 0:13 AM, malloy said:

I reckon Joyce can't stand his attitude. From what I have heard he spends most of his time partying it up at La Trobe. I can't imagine Joyce woukd be hapoy with someone who doesn't put in the hard yardd.

Partying up where at La trobe?? La trobe isnt really a party uni, the eagle bar has like 1 good party a year.

Ive seen Ruon out before a few times, he hangs with Bruce, Thomas Deng and i think one of our youth players.

From when i have seen them Ruon hasnt been over the top or anything like that, seems like a good lad.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 8:48 AM, belaguttman said:

He's just the sort of player we should be developing, play him next to Jakobson or Bart, he's wasted a year of his development when he could be a very good player for us

Wazza is too busy developing La Rocca and Muscat for the future

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2018 at 8:48 AM, belaguttman said:

He's just the sort of player we should be developing, play him next to Jakobson or Bart, he's wasted a year of his development when he could be a very good player for us

It's not as if Tongyik is that young - he's 21. I rated Muscat's performance against Victory as one of the worst I've seen - he seemed totally unsure of what he was supposed to do with the ball. Not playing Tongyik is just another strange decision by Joyce.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not as if Tongyik is that young - he's 21. I rated Muscat's performance against Victory as one of the worst I've seen - he seemed totally unsure of what he was supposed to do with the ball. Not playing Tongyik is just another strange decision by Joyce.

Not anglo enough, Muscat was borderline for Waz

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I rated Muscat's performance against Victory as one of the worst I've seen

His positioning is even worse. He got dragged out for our first goal. Even games where he plays soundly I've seen him completely lose his man and have poor positing. Fortunately he's not always punished fo it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not really, he's shown that he can play well when paired with an experienced CB and only struggled with his positioning when paired with Malik at CB.

Yeah the big problem for Tongyik last year was playing next to someone who was equally clueless about how to play as a centre back. Both learning (very slowly) by stuffing up.

I would have thought he’d be worth considering next to an experienced operator but he couldn’t have Atkinson on his right, they’d be as poor as the Muscat/Atkinson option, but Jamo/ Jako/ Tongyik/Muscat might be Ok.

I guess we’ll never know.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah the big problem for Tongyik last year was playing next to someone who was equally clueless about how to play as a centre back. Both learning (very slowly) by stuffing up.

I would have thought he’d be worth considering next to an experienced operator but he couldn’t have Atkinson on his right, they’d be as poor as the Muscat/Atkinson option, but Jamo/ Jako/ Tongyik/Muscat might be Ok.

I guess we’ll never know.

He showed promise last year, but was definitely still culpable for multiple stuff ups at the back. Looked great on the ball for CB but was highly suspect defensively.

Essentially, i'll trust the coaching staff in 99% of cases as to who they think is more defensively capable as they see them EVERY DAY at training, not just the fading memory from a few games last year.

EDIT : in saying that, Muscat should never, ever be played at CB imo.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bt50 said:

He showed promise last year, but was definitely still culpable for multiple stuff ups at the back. Looked great on the ball for CB but was highly suspect defensively.

Essentially, i'll trust the coaching staff in 99% of cases as to who they think is more defensively capable as they see them EVERY DAY at training, not just the fading memory from a few games last year.

EDIT : in saying that, Muscat should never, ever be played at CB imo.

Agreed.

I'd actually like to see him given a run in the Malik role at NPL level. I feel like he's got similar attributes/weaknesses to Osama and might be suited to a move slightly higher up the pitch. if he excels there perhaps we have a back-up option in that spot, rather than jamming in a guy like Bozanic who clearly isn't suited to it.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Agreed.

I'd actually like to see him given a run in the Malik role at NPL level. I feel like he's got similar attributes/weaknesses as Osama and might be suited to a move slightly higher up the pitch. if he excels there perhaps we have a back-up option in that spot, rather than jamming in a guy like Bozanic who clearly isn't suited to it.

I think this is an excellent shout tbh. Ozzie and Ruon are very very similar as players imo, and there's def nothing wrong with adding an extra string to your bow.

37 minutes ago, Embee said:

Agreed.

I'd actually like to see him given a run in the Malik role at NPL level. I feel like he's got similar attributes/weaknesses to Osama and might be suited to a move slightly higher up the pitch. if he excels there perhaps we have a back-up option in that spot, rather than jamming in a guy like Bozanic who clearly isn't suited to it.

I suggested that last year. 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I think this is an excellent shout tbh. Ozzie and Ruon are very very similar as players imo, and there's def nothing wrong with adding an extra string to your bow.

RT is much better with dustibution and passing than Malik imo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, malloy said:

RT is much better with dustibution and passing than Malik imo.

Both play different positions which affects the types of passing they do but comparing their pass conversion rate in the forward zone Malik this season is at 72% whilst Tongyik from last season was at 79%. Not too match difference but I'd say Tongyik had that ability to make a killer pass through the lines. 

I think I remember reading somewhere (no idea where) that Tongyik was a natural holding mid who converted to a defender when he signed professionally. 

That always made sense to me as he is composed on the ball and has pretty good distribution when he passes forward.

The issue is his concentration and lack of hunger. Holding mids have to be brick walls who track everyone and everything, and Tongyik doesn't strike me as desperate/quick enough. 

Edited by Harrison

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Me too. Always felt Ruon was a natural 6, given how cultured he is on the ball. Passing out of defence, or bringing the ball forward at his feet he always looked excellent. 

Great minds and all that, but seriously it would allow him to dribble and express himself more and he certainly has a pass on him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Hmm id have personally thought Malik was the (slightly) better passer and Ruon slightly better at dribbling. Can't say i've watched that specific set of traits that closely tho.

I don't think Malik is capable of passing the ball on the deck. Every pass of his seems to bobble which means it takes longer for the receiver to control it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Embee said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure about Tongyik in the midfield. A lot of the things that stop Tongyik from being a good centre back (poor positioning, can't read the play, poor decision making) are the same things that would stop him from being a good holding midfielder.

Having said that, I'd take Tongyik any day of the week over Delbridge.

2 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I'm not sure about Tongyik in the midfield. A lot of the things that stop Tongyik from being a good centre back (poor positioning, can't read the play, poor decision making) are the same things that would stop him from being a good holding midfielder.

Yeah, don't disagree there. Given our current squad though I'd be interested to see how he fared there seeing as we really don't have someone that can play the role Malik does when he's unavailable

29 minutes ago, Embee said:

Yeah, don't disagree there. Given our current squad though I'd be interested to see how he fared there seeing as we really don't have someone that can play the role Malik does when he's unavailable

And in addition, having a big black man in your squad always is unnerving for the opposition

22 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I agree about Tongyik.

in regards to Delbridge I havent yet made up my mind, simply haven’t seen enough of him. 

Edited by Shahanga

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Chris p said:

Waz didnt give him a chance 

IMO that's unfair. With the A-League there is no proper "reserves" competition - squad size prevents it - and so fringe players have to show what they've got during training and in the NYL. I think you'll find that he had every chance to show his worth. IIRC when he did play in the A-League he looked composed on the ball and quite good coming forward, but we copped quite a few goals when he was part of the defence.