Melbourne Football

Ruon Tongyik

jeffplz

14 hours ago, haz said:

Like I mentioned above I believe he has the potential, through how mature he is on the ball. But positioning and reading of the game comes with experience, which Ruon has only a little. Add to that gaining experience next to Malik (Imo worst 'senior' in the team) won't do him any good.

People have to rememebr, what other options do we have back there currently? In order it's Jakobson, Tonyik, Malik, Muscat, Rose....... It's not a good list isn't it?

Not impressed with Petrillo's ex-Adelaide signings. IMO both Kamau and Malik have significantly under-performed this season.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not impressed with Petrillo's ex-Adelaide signings. IMO both Kamau and Malik have significantly under-performed this season.

Malik was always average but Kamau was a big prospect. I don't think it's Petrillo's fault these guys turned into shit cunts.

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Malik was always average but Kamau was a big prospect. I don't think it's Petrillo's fault these guys turned into shit cunts.

Of course it isn't. But IMO he's too close to his familiar stomping ground to have made sound recruiting decisions. Add in Muscat and Rose and his record isn't good.

I know Rose is a whipping boy, but to be honest he has been a solid performer since the new year. If anything Ivan has been pretty average and not much better. I think our weak back passing due to stupid tactics is the main contribution to the backs, including Kilkenny, making mistakes due to unnecessary pressure applied by opposition pressing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I know Rose is a whipping boy, but to be honest he has been a solid performer since the new year. If anything Ivan has been pretty average and not much better. I think our weak back passing due to stupid tactics is the main contribution to the backs, including Kilkenny, making mistakes due to unnecessary pressure applied by opposition pressing.

Agree with this, people overlook that Kilkenny has lost a few balls when trying to take too many touches. Credit to Rose has been solid (as a squadie should) lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

Interesting that Ange wanted to select Ruon for the socceroos squad but couldn't due to his FIFA paperwork not being cleared yet 

He's a decent player but he's not ready to lead the line yet.  Play him with Jakobsen or Kilkenny and he does a decent job.  But paired with Malik he doesn't get enough guidance (and he also has more work to do covering for Malik).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He's a decent player but he's not ready to lead the line yet.  Play him with Jakobsen or Kilkenny and he does a decent job.  But paired with Malik he doesn't get enough guidance (and he also has more work to do covering for Malik).

I suspect that Ange wanted Ruon in the expanded squad to introduce him to the process/rigours of the NT. He took Luongo to Brazil and he starred in the Asia Cup. After the trials of his two predecessors where no one was blooded then I believe that no one will be able to accuse Ange of not developing talent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I agree. Ruon has a huge amount of talent and the skills he has displayed when in possession, especially when under pressure are fantastic. He can make a great tackle. However, he's too slow. O'donovan exploited this on the weekend getting in behind with pace. I've watch him carefully one each conceding play, and I've found he gets caught flat footed in our high pressing style, and is vulnerable on counters to pacey strikers. I had a mate who used to play Vic Prem league, he is a short striker, he used to say he loved nothing more than seeing a tall central defender on the pitch because he knew he would have legs on them with the right ball or touch. I would personally love to see him used more in a midfield role, utilising his on ball skills, and he vision, and passing, which I think are tremendous and can be better utilised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardware said:

I agree. Ruon has a huge amount of talent and the skills he has displayed when in possession, especially when under pressure are fantastic. He can make a great tackle. However, he's too slow. O'donovan exploited this on the weekend getting in behind with pace. I've watch him carefully one each conceding play, and I've found he gets caught flat footed in our high pressing style, and is vulnerable on counters to pacey strikers. I had a mate who used to play Vic Prem league, he is a short striker, he used to say he loved nothing more than seeing a tall central defender on the pitch because he knew he would have legs on them with the right ball or touch. I would personally love to see him used more in a midfield role, utilising his on ball skills, and he vision, and passing, which I think are tremendous and can be better utilised. 

Yes, he could yet develop into a defensive or deep lying midfielder,  where his ball skills and his ability to bring the ball forward and pass would work well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, he could yet develop into a defensive or deep lying midfielder,  where his ball skills and his ability to bring the ball forward and pass would work well.

I have always thought this. Most of the time he dribbles it up 30m+ and has played some very good balls out from defense. But he needs more experience, hes only played about 10(?) senior games so far.

21 hours ago, playmaker said:

Doesn't matter who you have at CB. If you play the high press and have too much space between the goalkeeper and the defensive line, then pacey strikers will always exploit the tactic. It's just the way it is at this level.

I don't disagree at all, it just highlights the fact you need a mobile and versitile defensive line, with a competent keeper to help command the line, and can come off his own line for competent coverage in a counterattack. I just dont think Ruon has that mobility, not to say he can't improve on it either.

8 hours ago, MXG said:

Big talent and big prospect. Can be the next Yaya or Viera. But can also stop in his development. Hope he will make it.

Lol. Did you just choose them to compare him to because they are black? As he doesn't play in the same position as these guys....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Also for @Shahanga and @jw1739 it's just as rediculous after one bad game saying that he issnt ready for aleague level, if next to Malik (didn't hear any of this after the Wellington game), as saying he is the next yaya after a few good games as is the usual reaction for young players in this forum 

Not based on one match, based on everything I've seen of him at AAMI so far. Not saying he won't make it, but IMO he's far too casual in his defensive work. But in saying that I will emphasise that IMO our overall defensive work this season has been awful. We were undermanned right from the start of the season, our players are repeatedly caught too far upfield, and we have looked likely to concede every time our opponents break quickly on the counter; Tongyik has had the misfortune to come into the side as part of that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MXG said:

Big talent and big prospect. Can be the next Yaya or Viera. But can also stop in his development. Hope he will make it.

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not based on one match, based on everything I've seen of him at AAMI so far. Not saying he won't make it, but IMO he's far too casual in his defensive work. But in saying that I will emphasise that IMO our overall defensive work this season has been awful. We were undermanned right from the start of the season, our players are repeatedly caught too far upfield, and we have looked likely to concede every time our opponents break quickly on the counter; Tongyik has had the misfortune to come into the side as part of that.

I think that the development of young players has to be a concern for the fans, the club and CFG. Elsewhere on thsi forum I have repeatedly claimed that the coaching is not good enough for the team thus our abysmal performance compared to the expectations and quality that the club has. A side effect of poor coaching is that it stunts the development of the younger players. The promise and lure of being part of the CFG will quickly evaporate if young players find that their potential growth will be harmed by coming to the club. And what of CFG? I presume that they bought the licence because they could spot young talent that they could develop and either take them to Man City or on sell them to make a profit. Surely by now they would have to be concerned that this part of the plan is in dire straits in Melbourne City.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Also for @Shahanga and @jw1739 it's just as rediculous after one bad game saying that he issnt ready for aleague level, if next to Malik (didn't hear any of this after the Wellington game), as saying he is the next yaya after a few good games as is the usual reaction for young players in this forum 

No @Dylan, lke @jw1739my view is based on every game I've seen him play.

I would sum him up like this:

• Great on the ball, lovely touch etc
  • Very poor awareness of the positioning required for a defender and what to do, when.

I think he can learn that 2nd point (though Malik can't teach him, he's got issues there too) but is starting from a low base.  Playing in front of Sorensen would surely be a big help (vs the inexperienced Bouzanzis).

The kid has got a lot of potential, but he's far from "having arrived".

• Like 1

On 10/03/2017 at 7:57 PM, Shahanga said:

He booked a backpacking trip?

I've given my reasons before and have a reasonably good record in this regard. Basically just playing senior football against grown men in a half decent league like the A-League is enough to attract European clubs because that's actually quite a good achievement and more than most youth even at big clubs are able to do. He is 20 now though so it's a bit borderline but if an 18/19 year old was doing it it's very likely and we've seen a lot of moves to Europe happen under those circumstances.

Yes, most fail but I've made no assertions that he will succeed, just that he will be signed by a European team.

Personally I think he is good for his age but I'm not sure he has potential to improve significantly, most players that peak at a young age do so because they are fully (Or close to) developed physically at a young age which allows them to play at a higher level at a young age but they then don't go on. Those that aren't there physically yet but can still play well generally have more potential as the physical side of their game progresses. This guy is clearly very developed physically already,so where is his growth going to come from? It would be in the mental side of the game if he is to become a high quality player. And there is potential there given hr has little experience. You singled out that yourself that his awareness and positioning need to improve, I think these things will tell the story of what he becomes, if he can gain those skills with experience then he will do well, otherwise he is probably close to his potential already. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

On 12/03/2017 at 8:24 AM, malloy said:

Lol. Did you just choose them to compare him to because they are black? As he doesn't play in the same position as these guys....

LOL indeed. Is it really needs to be explained?

You cannot expect him playing in THAT position yet. But he is tall, calm and confident with the ball. Will be more physically strong no doubt. Great building material for the coaching.

And skin colour is the last thing I am usually thinking about, I am not some retarded US liberal after all. :)

On 12/03/2017 at 10:50 AM, NewConvert said:

I think that the development of young players has to be a concern for the fans, the club and CFG. Elsewhere on thsi forum I have repeatedly claimed that the coaching is not good enough for the team thus our abysmal performance compared to the expectations and quality that the club has. A side effect of poor coaching is that it stunts the development of the younger players. The promise and lure of being part of the CFG will quickly evaporate if young players find that their potential growth will be harmed by coming to the club. And what of CFG? I presume that they bought the licence because they could spot young talent that they could develop and either take them to Man City or on sell them to make a profit. Surely by now they would have to be concerned that this part of the plan is in dire straits in Melbourne City.

Mooy says Hi.

• 8 months later...

Nice to hear Wazza say some Home truths about where young Ruon is at.

Athlete- tick

Good on the ball - tick

knows how to defend- nuh 

Needed to play in the NPL last year, preferably next to a veteran.

At the least now though he’s got more chance learning how to defend from Wazza than JVS plus the addition of Bart & The Rock give him a couple of extra tutors as well.

• 1 month later...