Melbourne Football

Fernando Brandán

Andrew Edmonds

Im not as outraged as most others about this tbh. Look i loved Nando as a player and was really hoping we'd keep him, but it seems reasonably clear to me that he clearly wasnt cutting the mustard at training, whether that be due to his knee not fully recovering as yet or whether he had a few bad training habits that he wouldnt shake. We all saw his passion on match days, and I've no idea on this specific situation, but that doesnt necessarily translate to being a good trainer and having good habits. Ive certainly seen plenty of people that would bleed for theuir club but not had the required drive at training.

I think when you look at it purely as making space for Ross so he can play alongside Bruno, it makes sense. Lets not forget that Ross is 7 from 10 games and Nando was only 3 from 19. Aware theyre different positions, but our wingers (goes for Fitzy and Bruce too) should really have better outputs than that if we are serious about contending.

Obv its easy to make the argument that Bud would be better to cut and tbh i agree with that, but we dont know the contractual obligations or any of the other bits and pieces behind the scenes either.

Tbh my biggest criticism prob comes in the form of not doing it earlier or pre-season, or at least having an injury replacement player for the first half of the season given whats unfolded.

TLDR : Sad to see a fan favourite go, but imo this is for the best as far as the team goes

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im not as outraged as most others about this tbh. Look i loved Nando as a player and was really hoping we'd keep him, but it seems reasonably clear to me that he clearly wasnt cutting the mustard at training, whether that be due to his knee not fully recovering as yet or whether he had a few bad training habits that he wouldnt shake. We all saw his passion on match days, and I've no idea on this specific situation, but that doesnt necessarily translate to being a good trainer and having good habits. Ive certainly seen plenty of people that would bleed for theuir club but not had the required drive at training.

I think when you look at it purely as making space for Ross so he can play alongside Bruno, it makes sense. Lets not forget that Ross is 7 from 10 games and Nando was only 3 from 19. Aware theyre different positions, but our wingers (goes for Fitzy and Bruce too) should really have better outputs than that if we are serious about contending.

Obv its easy to make the argument that Bud would be better to cut and tbh i agree with that, but we dont know the contractual obligations or any of the other bits and pieces behind the scenes either.

Tbh my biggest criticism prob comes in the form of not doing it earlier or pre-season, or at least having an injury replacement player for the first half of the season given whats unfolded.

TLDR : Sad to see a fan favourite go, but imo this is for the best as far as the team goes

Didn't know this forum made reasonable posts :up: In regards to his contract (and Buds) I kept reading he was on loan but other sources say we bought him outright after 6 months. If he goes back to his old club, then we know it was a loan and it would have been much easier to get rid of him then Budzik.

But really if McCormack uses his VISA spot, he needs to get the Tip Rat haircut.

Edited by haz

11 minutes ago, haz said:

Didn't know this forum made reasonable posts :up: In regards to his contract (and Buds) I kept reading he was on loan but other sources say we bought him outright after 6 months. If he goes back to his old club, then we know it was a loan and it would have been much easier to get rid of him then Budzik.

But really if McCormack uses his VISA spot, he needs to get the Tip Rat haircut.

Wheres our old mate @mcsoccer225? Surely he can draw up what Ross would look like with the mullet?

15 minutes ago, haz said:

@haz I keep a pretty close eye on these things, and I do not recall the word "loan" being mentioned by City in terms of Fernando's contract until today in the notice of his departure.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@haz I keep a pretty close eye on these things, and I do not recall the word "loan" being mentioned by City in terms of Fernando's contract until today in the notice of his departure.

That’s what I was thinking @jw1739.

does it matter? Should we care? Feels like we’ve been deceived over something trivial.

im really disappointed he’s gone though. Seems we are looking for clones at the moment.

Guys who could tear s game apart from a moment of brilliance? Not wanted.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

That’s what I was thinking @jw1739.

does it matter? Should we care? Feels like we’ve been deceived over something trivial.

im really disappointed he’s gone though. Seems we are looking for clones at the moment.

Guys who could tear s game apart from a moment of brilliance? Not wanted.

@Shahanga No, it can be argued that it doesn't really matter, but it kind of adds to certain feelings about the club that I have developed since the takeover by CFG.
Perhaps my hopes were too high, but I really did not expect to see us terminating coaches and players with the season not even at the half-way point, and I had hoped that this season would see us develop some semblance of stability. It's bloody hard to feel really committed when the club seems to  be in a state of upheaval much of the time.

@jw1739 I saw loan on one of the first translated reports from Argentina. It also says loan on Transfermarkt, which I think only agents can change (?).

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga No, it can be argued that it doesn't really matter, but it kind of adds to certain feelings about the club that I have developed since the takeover by CFG.
Perhaps my hopes were too high, but I really did not expect to see us terminating coaches and players with the season not even at the half-way point, and I had hoped that this season would see us develop some semblance of stability. It's bloody hard to feel really committed when the club seems to  be in a state of upheaval much of the time.

I think the cap and VISA limit has a big part to play in this. If Brandan was not fit / lost his skill etc. then we cannot keep him on as extra baggage. A team needs all 5 VISAs playing well (I dont think we have ever had this). I can understand chopping the team, but maybe if our recruiting was better then we wouldnt have to chop the squad. In addition to this we know how its 'Waz's way or the door' so considering about 75% of the squad was not signed under Waz, I expect a clear out at the end of the season and more 'La Roccas' to join.

Hang on a second. For seasons we have bitched about not moving players on when we should have. Now we are moving players on. If its due to injury or attitude I have no idea but the club finally looks like it is sorting itself out, which Joyce was bought into do. We finally have the ruthlessness to move players on as needed.

It seems peoples idea of who should be moved on is totally subjective (who would have thought). I for one will back the coach in here and see what our recruiting team can turn up. I'm disappointed to see Nando go he was like a pantomime villain. But he was our villain. I for one will miss him but hope this is a sign of forward progress not a sign of a club tearing apart at the seams.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Hang on a second. For seasons we have bitched about not moving players on when we should have. Now we are moving players on. If its due to injury or attitude I have no idea but the club finally looks like it is sorting itself out, which Joyce was bought into do. We finally have the ruthlessness to move players on as needed.

It seems peoples idea of who should be moved on is totally subjective (who would have thought). I for one will back the coach in here and see what our recruiting team can turn up. I'm disappointed to see Nando go he was like a pantomime villain. But he was our villain. I for one will miss him but hope this is a sign of forward progress not a sign of a club tearing apart at the seams.

Spot on.

37 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Loved Fernando for what he brought but to those chastising the club, geez seriously get a grip. This is a football decision based on lack of game time/injury and not a popularity decision like a lot of the pro-nando opinions are here. 

Very true but Fernando going is only 1 half of the equation. So until we know who will replace him it's hard to say if it's the right decision. 

Just looking at Fernando going I'm dissapointed.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very true but Fernando going is only 1 half of the equation. So until we know who will replace him it's hard to say if it's the right decision. 

Just looking at Fernando going I'm dissapointed.

But aren't we replacing a player that never played or contributed this season? When would Fernando return to full fitness? At seasons end or..? 

This arguement changes completely had he been on the pitch. It's that point of difference that I don't think is being acknowledged completely. 

Im certainly in the dissapointed category.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wombegongal said:

But is he a Phil Stubbins kind of coach or an Ange kind of coach?

7 hours ago, wombegongal said:

I for one have never “bitched about the club not moving people on”. Can’t believe anyone else (sane) had- why would they? We change 75% of the squad every season.

Fernando is no good now? I have no idea on that. Strikes me as unlikely though. All I know is the coach won’t play him. Not the same thing.

Ultimately Joyce has the job to change the culture and the results and is making the changes he sees fit. Fair enough,  From afar though, some of the clubs actions in his tenure seem very strange.  We’ll see how it works out I guess. 

Im not going to roll with “the club announced it, it must be good” approach though.