Melbourne Football

Fernando Brandán

Andrew Edmonds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A-LEAGUE’S CHEEKY VILLAIN TURNS HONDURAS ROOS INFORMER

IN his first season in Australia, Fernando Brandan established himself as an A-League villain. Now, he’s teaching Honduras about Tim Cahill and Australian football.

The Melbourne City forward, who is currently recovering from a knee reconstruction, spoke to Honduras news site El Diez about playing in the A-League and his experience in Australia.

Brandan said while Australia wasn’t a “fast” team, the likes of Aaron Mooy, Mark Milligan and Cahill were important players in terms of distributing the ball.

“Australia is very much in control of the ball — it’s not a fast team but it has great players,” Brandan said in the interview.

“One is Aaron Mooy, he is a different player — he is very interesting because he distributes well. He and (Mark) Milligan are the best in the midfield.

“The speed and explosiveness does not stand out here, they are more about keeping the ball.

“They have Tim Cahill who is a player with great experience.”

Based off those comments, Brandan said he expected Honduras’ speed and power to give the Australians some trouble.

“The matches that I have seen here when they have played against teams like Thailand that are very fast caused problems for Australia,” he said.

“From what I’ve seen, the speed can complicate them a bit because they focus on (holding).”

When discussing his Melbourne City teammate Cahill, Brandan was full of praise for the Australian’s professionalism and desire to win.

“I have not met many players who have that passion, always want to win and have a lot of presence on the pitch — (he) has smart moves, holds the ball very well,” he said.

As for who Brandan wanted to see win the qualifier? He elected to reserve his answer.

Smart move.

Disgusting. If anything he actually promoted AU football. Told that it's actually a quality. All those recent attacks on the City (terrible piece of dirt from the fAkeBC as another example) are just an attempt to keep rolling interest in Victory - FFA biggest crowd cash cow.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Once the juniors start playing can he have a run in there games ?

IIRC up to four over-aged players, including the GK, can be fielded in a National Youth League team. I would expect to see both Fernando and Bruno make their way back into the senior match-day squad via the NYL.

We have a great NYL squad this season. The boys kick off this Saturday at the City Football Academy at 3.30 p.m.
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/palatsides-youth-ready-defend-their-title

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC up to four over-aged players, including the GK, can be fielded in a National Youth League team. I would expect to see both Fernando and Bruno make their way back into the senior match-day squad via the NYL.

Going to be some horse heads in bed if a 16 year old re-injures Bruno or Fernando

• Like 1

Twitter or not, don't forget that initial reports suggested Brandan would be out for 12 months, meaning the earliest he could return would be in March 2018.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-fernando-brandan-out-12-months-with-knee-injury-20170308-gutgku.html

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Twitter or not, don't forget that initial reports suggested Brandan would be out for 12 months, meaning the earliest he could return would be in March 2018.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-fernando-brandan-out-12-months-with-knee-injury-20170308-gutgku.html

Numerous people have said they've witnessed him in full training, he's clearly not going to be out until March 2018.

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

But anything this side of the new year might be a bonus.  Sounds like he's not there yet.

Not there yet but I feel like he's likely to be back before the new year. Either way, the season isn't over until May (if we go all the way) so he can still have a considerable influence on where we finish.

If we didn't intend on keeping him I'd wager he'd have been gone earlier when we actually could have used his spot to bring another player in.

• Like 1

Just now, Embee said:

Not there yet but I feel like he's likely to be back before the new year. Either way, the season isn't over until May (if we go all the way) so he can still have a considerable influence on where we finish.

If we didn't intend on keeping him I'd wager he'd have been gone earlier when we actually could have used his spot to bring another player in.

And I am so looking forward to seeing the little ferret back on the wing.  He's worth the ticket price on his own for entertainment value...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I'm so looking forward to this guy coming back. One of the rare things that gets me motivated to come to a City game.

Marvellous, isn't it. A little bit of factual news and we all feel positive again. Mouth waters - Bruno and Fernando back in the line-up together.