Melbourne Football

Fernando Brandán

Andrew Edmonds

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The player payments are made by the player injury insurance and the financial burden is not carried by the franchise. Remember Scott Munn was so relieved that he'd signed Engelaar's insurance the day before his leg was broken

Bela, thanks, that's what I was trying to recall. IIRC John Didulica with his legal backgound was an absolute stickler for ensuring that the club got this right.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I dare say after the surgery they will probably let him do his rehab back in Argentina given that it would be a very long and lonely process for him here

Not sure. You'd think that because they still have an investment in him they would want to make sure he is completing a thorough recovery program not that he wouldn't in Argentina but at least here they can monitor daily. 

Different circumstances with family and age but Duff remained.

By the way has it officially been announced he has done his acl and is going under the knife? 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Not sure. You'd think that because they still have an investment in him they would want to make sure he is completing a thorough recovery program not that he wouldn't in Argentina but at least here they can monitor daily. 

Different circumstances with family and age but Duff remained.

By the way has it officially been announced he has done his acl and is going under the knife? 

Although it's in the newspapers as such, I can't find an official statement as to surgery. The official club statement refers to "rehabilitation" and the club wishing him well on his "recovery" and there is no update so far. Nothing on Twitter either. My first reaction was that he does not require surgery. However the club is seemingly focussing on women this week, so maybe there is no room for an update.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Although it's in the newspapers as such, I can't find an official statement as to surgery. The official club statement refers to "rehabilitation" and the club wishing him well on his "recovery" and there is no update so far. Nothing on Twitter either. My first reaction was that he does not require surgery. However the club is seemingly focussing on women this week, so maybe there is no room for an update.

So it could a minor tear or even a strain. Little clean up and possibly back within 8 weeks if all things go well as opposed to a full 12 monther.

Maybe they don't even know yet tbf.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 1:08 PM, Jovan said:

So it could a minor tear or even a strain. Little clean up and possibly back within 8 weeks if all things go well as opposed to a full 12 monther.

Maybe they don't even know yet tbf.

So after his appearance at the Newcastle match, is the view that Brandan has not had to have surgery (or not major surgery)?

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So after his appearance at the Newcastle match, is the view that Brandan has not had to have surgery (or not major surgery)?

As I said in another thread it's most likely a small tear or strain. Since he didn't have a full brace on I'd say he'll be good for pre season.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, haz said:

As I said in another thread it's most likely a small tear or strain. Since he didn't have a full brace on I'd say he'll be good for pre season.

Brandan requires surgery after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament at training on Tuesday. Scans on Wednesday morning confirmed City’s worst fears, with the 26-year-old facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-hit-with-big-injury-blow-as-fernando-brandan-lost-for-season-with-ruptured-acl/news-story/6cf5e509059f8366a7cb08e631988658

Looks like I'm wrong. I read another article that was posted this morning (can't find the link) that said his surgery was tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Austin316 said:

can anyone confirm he was on a two year deal

if so we will only have 4 international spots next year

Brandan and Jakobsen are contracted until May 2018. Fornaroli May 2019 and Colazo and Sorenson expire 2017. So effectively we have 2 Visa spots available next season 1 being Marquee and 1 potentially guest Marquee or Visa inside the cap.

4 minutes ago, Austin316 said:

wow

2 years for brandan - which effectively means we will spend a spot on his rehab

I wonder if we could agree to mutually terminate the playing contract 

He could then be employed as staff and undergo his rehab and do player coaching for 12 months

Pretty sure insurance covers wages to players who have long term injuries, so we'll likely sign an injury replacement and the money we'd otherwise actually pay Brandan ourselves will go there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simo said:

Does that mean we can get a visa player in his position??

Yes. Same as when Novillo replaced Duff. Problem is that he would have to be uncontracted (if he was to come in this season).

But depending on Fernandos recovery it's a definite possibility for next season.

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Yes. Same as when Novillo replaced Duff. Problem is that he would have to be uncontracted (if he was to come in this season).

But depending on Fernandos recovery it's a definite possibility for next season.

Wonder what will happen if we get a Novillo (without the attitude problems) as an injury replacement for 6 months next season player amazingly well (10 goals, 5 assists etc) do we force Brandan to mutually terminate or will the club only have 4 visas banking on the injury replacement 5th visa to be a long term player.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Wonder what will happen if we get a Novillo (without the attitude problems) as an injury replacement for 6 months next season player amazingly well (10 goals, 5 assists etc) do we force Brandan to mutually terminate or will the club only have 4 visas banking on the injury replacement 5th visa to be a long term player.

I reackon we are pretty much full with wide attacking options especially now that Fitzy has elevated his level. I think they need to reinforce more centrally as an injury replacement. A quality #10.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

I reackon we are pretty much full with wide attacking options especially now that Fitzy has elevated his level. I think they need to reinforce more centrally as an injury replacement. A quality #10.

Couldnt agree more, another Visa CB and a Marquee #10 (Ginvinco level) should be Abolsute priority. But I hope these desicions are made by/with the new coach.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Wouldn't strictly be like-for-like.  The whole squad needs to be rebalanced.

1 hour ago, haz said:

If it happens, it's one of those nice problems to have. To be honest, as much fun as he was/is, Brandan is pretty much the minimum of what I think we should expect from one of our visa spots, and that's the sort of value we should be putting on the players who earn them. They're absolutely critical spots to nail 4-5 out of 5. We've been operating with very little latitude there all season, because we were actively choosing not to play a visa goalkeeper until we had no choice.

A hypothetical Novillio (without the baggage) v Brandan would be the hypothetical Novillo for me, every day of the week. It would be a tough situation, but realistically, I think it's more likely that one of our as yet unsigned future visas also gets injured, or is a flop and a Brandan v sensational injury replacement list squeeze won't occur.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know if this guy is training with the group, with ball or just doing running exercises on his own? I know there are imagines of him running with group at warm up but what does he do after wards? Just trying to judge where he is at.

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Does anybody know if this guy is training with the group, with ball or just doing running exercises on his own? I know there are imagines of him running with group at warm up but what does he do after wards? Just trying to judge where he is at.

In the city YouTube video I saw Fernando behind Bouzanis running with the group in an exercise. 

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure if it was him but a I saw a bloke that looked remarkably like him running the other day down Edgars road. But from what I could tell no ball. The two others behind him definitely didn't have a ball but were yelling.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There's no point in showing Brandan. He won't be available until at least half-way through the season, probably not until the last few weeks, and possibly not at all.

Where have you heard this? Eitherway the club should know how long he will be out for, and for the love of god, sign a visa injury replacement!

34 minutes ago, haz said:

Where have you heard this? Eitherway the club should know how long he will be out for, and for the love of god, sign a visa injury replacement!

I'm not going to go back over it all. The last I heard was that he was back in Argentina. I think it was on here somewhere. But the reports about availability were in the print media. As for the club, well to my knowledge it has not released any information.

41 minutes ago, haz said:

Being out for at least 12 months after an acl is just common knowledge 

Edited by Chris p