Melbourne Football

Fernando Brandán

Andrew Edmonds

I've been lurking these forums for a while, thought I would chime in.

I have a friend who is Argentinian and is involved in one of the professional teams in Argentina. 
Flicked him a message and asked if he had heard of Brandan. He said he is really really really fast and very skillful. But is a little bit dumb when he plays.

Time will tell if they are attributes to suit the HAL. Hopefully he ends up more Fornaroli than Mifsud!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cityfan101 said:

I've been lurking these forums for a while, thought I would chime in.

I have a friend who is Argentinian and is involved in one of the professional teams in Argentina. 
Flicked him a message and asked if he had heard of Brandan. He said he is really really really fast and very skillful. But is a little bit dumb when he plays.

Time will tell if they are attributes to suit the HAL. Hopefully he ends up more Fornaroli than Mifsud!

I dont think the dumb part will affect him that much here. The Aleague issnt that advanced.

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

You would think the club would announce this today or tomorrow given that he is probably going to get a run Tuesday

Was thinking the announcement would be today, depending if paperwork (if waiting on any) was finalized.

But now with this announcement from FFA today, wouldn't the club want to announce a new signing without any other 'media' distractions?

1 minute ago, haz said:

Was thinking the announcement would be today, depending if paperwork (if waiting on any) was finalized.

But now with this announcement from FFA today, wouldn't the club want to announce a new signing without any other 'media' distractions?

The FFA announcement will be a damp squib, so they might as well. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Melbourne City secures services of Argentine star Fernando Brandán

Matt Windley

July 25, 2016

THE same South American talent scouts who found Bruno Fornaroli have secured Melbourne City another Latino gem.

Argentine Fernando Branden will make his first appearance for City in a pre-season friendly against Melbourne Knights on Tuesday.

The pacy 26-year-old, who appears likely to fill the void left by Harry Novillo on the left wing, is also set to play in City’s FFA Cup round of 32 clash with Perth’s Floreat Athena next Tuesday.

City has not yet announced Branden’s signing, but is likely to do so in the coming days.

The Herald Sun understands he arrived in Melbourne last week, successfully completed a medical at the club’s Bundoora headquarters and has been training with his teammates ever since.

Branden was playing for top tier Argentine club Atletico Temperley — where he scored 15 goals in 87 games from 2013-16 — but agreed to try his luck in Australia after being spotted by City scouts who report to City Football Group’s football services manager Brian Marwood in Manchester.

While it is expected he will play on the wing, the versatile Branden can also play centrally if required.

He joins Fornaroli and Danish goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen in filling three of City’s five-permitted visa slots for the season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-secures-services-of-argentine-star-fernando-branden/news-story/6e7a7bbdc971e3ac716b25dca955ba5b

Edited by Murfy1

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

IF we have signed Brandon under the cap and we add another marquee defender we'll have recruited well...

well, apart from the coach position

Exactly my thoughts. That's also assuming Bruno has moved into Marquee. He may play out this season under the cap and get a big contract next season. 

These so far 2 unused Marquee spots are very intriguing. 

Just spoke to membership hotline to update email details and asked about this seasons Marquee and was told  there will be some announcements this week. When I pressed for details she said she didn't know anything but keep an eye the website the next few days.

So without saying much she said a lot if you know what I'm mean.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Just spoke to membership hotline to update email details and asked about this seasons Marquee and was told  there will be some announcements this week. When I pressed for details she said she didn't know anything but keep an eye the website the next few days.

My impression is that City and CFG are ultra-careful about announcing signings. They will not do so until every last piece of the paperwork and other formalities are completed. IMO this accounts for what appear to be delays in announcements.

It's irritating to some extent, but understandable.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Didn't know @AntiScum was female.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC Signs Argentinian Fernando Brandan

Tuesday, 26 July 2016 -

Melbourne City FC can confirm it has signed Argentinian Fernando Brandan ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season on a two-year deal.

The 26-year-old forward underwent his medical at the City Football Academy last week and commenced training with his teammates as City’s pre-season enters its fifth week.

Brandan is expected to feature for City in Tuesday's pre-season friendly against Melbourne Knights at Knights Stadium, Sunshine, and will be available for selection for the Club’s Round of 32 Westfield FFA Cup clash against Perth-based club Floreat Athena on August 2.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Melbourne_Heart/a1/a6/membership-banner_1cic336y1hwff1lv3qlc7asjdk.png?t=-279715108

membership-banner_1cic336y1hwff1lv3qlc7a

Hailing from Salta in Argentina, Brandan developed into a talented forward with Racing de Olavarria and Rivadavia, before joining Atletico Temperley in Argentina’s top flight, the Primera Division in 2013.

Brandan will occupy a foreign position within City’s squad, alongside Uruguyuan Bruno Fornaroli and former Danish international Thomas Sorensen.

Brandan joins new signings Manny Muscat, Bruce Kamau, Daniel Arzani, Ruon Tongyik, Luke Brattan and Dean Bouzanis, Nick Fitzgerald, Anthony Caceres who have re-signed for the upcoming campaign.

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-argentinian-fernando-brandan/cv02uk9iagwh1h7kajxetz0k4#sthash.XpwMiBqs.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-argentinian-fernando-brandan/cv02uk9iagwh1h7kajxetz0k4#3mR1mdBwLeQB2fyG.99

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

0:10 - A man needs a name. She's introduced as "physio" but some bloke is doing the medical at the end?

Also, maybe if JVS spent more time supervising training rather than partaking in it the players would respect him more.

Edited by Tesla

This guy looks like he would slit his own grandmother's throat for a goal, I'm putting all my green lines on the line in proclaiming that Fernando will be Mooy/Fornaroli level.

1 minute ago, GreenSeater said:

That has gotta be the worst haircut I've ever seen

You've obviously forgotten Bratton's previous haircut.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2