Melbourne Football

Fernando Brandán

Andrew Edmonds

Going off his Transfermarkt page and the Youtube footage of him, he's a wide midfielder (who can play as either a right midfielder or a left midfielder). So definitely a replacement for Novillo. A quick and lively attacker with a powerful shot (and I agree he seems to have a solid work-rate).

A very good age at 26, and he's played a lot in Argentina's Primera Division (Argentina's 1st division. He played a bit under half of all games last season, and 2/3s of the games in 2015 for Temperley). Given how well Bruno's done coming out of Uruguay's top flight, I'm keen to see how this guy goes coming from Argentina's top flight.

He'll reportedly be on loan, so I'd say he's no marquee. So that means afer Brandan the club can still: 1) upgrade Bruno to marquee status 2) sign a Visa marquee 3) sign a 5th Visa player (inside the salary cap) and 4) sign a guest player (maybe a 6th international player, or maybe Tim Cahill..).

An exciting signing, and a lot more transfer business still to be done.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Going off his Transfermarkt page and the Youtube footage of him, he's a wide midfielder (who can play as either a right midfielder or a left midfielder). So definitely a replacement for Novillo. A quick and lively attacker with a powerful shot (and I agree he seems to have a solid work-rate).

A very good age at 26, and he's played a lot in Argentina's Primera Division (Argentina's 1st division. He played a bit under half of all games last season, and 2/3s of the games in 2015 for Temperley). Given how well Bruno's done coming out of Uruguay's top flight, I'm keen to see how this guy goes coming from Argentina's top flight.

He'll reportedly be on loan, so I'd say he's no marquee. So that means afer Brandan the club can still: 1) upgrade Bruno to marquee status 2) sign a Visa marquee 3) sign a 5th Visa player (inside the salary cap) and 4) sign a guest player (maybe a 6th international player, or maybe Tim Cahill..).

An exciting signing, and a lot more transfer business still to be done.

I trust FM more than transfermarket, and that says he is predominantly an attacking mid who also plays on the right wing.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Confirming the South American reports:

Melbourne City poised to sign Argentinian midfielder Fernando Brandan on one-year deal

Matt Windley

7 July, 2016

MELBOURNE City’s South American influence is set to increase, with the club on the verge of signing Argentinian attacking midfielder Fernando Brandan on a one-year deal.

Branden is a speedy, diminutive right footer who had previously been playing for top tier Argentine side Club Atletico Temperley, where he scored 15 goals in 87 games from 2013-16.

Argentinian media reports suggest the 26-year-old left Temperley’s pre-season training camp this week and headed for Buenos Aires, where he was to finalise negotiations with City.

If the move goes through, he will join Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli and Danish goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen as the three visa players currently on City’s books.

Clubs are permitted five foreign players per season.

A relaxing of sponsorship rules from Football Federation Australia also sawCity become the first A-League club to sign a major deal with a car company.

ity announced a two-year partnership with Nissan, a contract believed to be worth about $500,000 annually.

The deal comes just days after it was revealed Nissan is expected to pull out of its major partnership with Channel 9’s The Footy Show after controversial comments made by host Sam Newman in relation to AFL journalist Caroline Wilson last month.

Previously clubs had been unable to sign commercial deals with car companies as the A-League’s major sponsor is Hyundai.

But in order to increase revenue opportunities for its franchises, FFA has recently made allowances for clubs to engage with automotive companies should the commercial returns pass a minimum threshold.

The deal, as flagged by the Herald Sun last month, is no surprise given the global partnership Nissan has with City’s sister clubs Manchester City, New York City and Yokohama F Marinos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-poised-to-sign-argentinian-midfielder-fernando-brandan-on-oneyear-deal/news-story/4d534e090bb457a5959ccc753a30e4d6

56 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Confirming the South American reports:

Melbourne City poised to sign Argentinian midfielder Fernando Brandan on one-year deal

Matt Windley

7 July, 2016

MELBOURNE City’s South American influence is set to increase, with the club on the verge of signing Argentinian attacking midfielder Fernando Brandan on a one-year deal.

Branden is a speedy, diminutive right footer who had previously been playing for top tier Argentine side Club Atletico Temperley, where he scored 15 goals in 87 games from 2013-16.

Argentinian media reports suggest the 26-year-old left Temperley’s pre-season training camp this week and headed for Buenos Aires, where he was to finalise negotiations with City.

If the move goes through, he will join Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli and Danish goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen as the three visa players currently on City’s books.

Clubs are permitted five foreign players per season.

A relaxing of sponsorship rules from Football Federation Australia also sawCity become the first A-League club to sign a major deal with a car company.

ity announced a two-year partnership with Nissan, a contract believed to be worth about $500,000 annually.

The deal comes just days after it was revealed Nissan is expected to pull out of its major partnership with Channel 9’s The Footy Show after controversial comments made by host Sam Newman in relation to AFL journalist Caroline Wilson last month.

Previously clubs had been unable to sign commercial deals with car companies as the A-League’s major sponsor is Hyundai.

But in order to increase revenue opportunities for its franchises, FFA has recently made allowances for clubs to engage with automotive companies should the commercial returns pass a minimum threshold.

The deal, as flagged by the Herald Sun last month, is no surprise given the global partnership Nissan has with City’s sister clubs Manchester City, New York City and Yokohama F Marinos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-poised-to-sign-argentinian-midfielder-fernando-brandan-on-oneyear-deal/news-story/4d534e090bb457a5959ccc753a30e4d6

The clout of CFG was always going to be a massive boost for us. They have been making their presence felt in the HAL and in turn the FFA has had to accommodate them. On the way to becoming the biggest club in the A-league - just need to see out JvS and add silverware to W-league success ... oh and the Crap Foster Cup :ph34r:

for those that can't be stuffed looking it up:

http://au.soccerway.com/players/fernando-daniel--brandan/221544/

A few random comments:

• I gather he's coming from Argentina's top flight.  I imagine that's a pretty good level
  • You tube shows he has the skills
  • I see he's no stranger to red cards
  • Surely the best point though is that's he's "brought to you by the scouts who found Bruno Fornaroli"
  • Given he's not that tall I assume we'll play him up front as a target man and get him to both knock high balls down and play through balls for Cahill.

• 2 weeks later...