Melbourne Football

Bundesliga and All Things German Football

Hendo

21 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Glad to see I’m not the only one excited by the re-start of the Bundesliga. I’ve already set record for the Frankfurt game. 
cant wait.

I think I'm with the Bayern Munich supporters - football without fans is pointless.

BTW my two German teams are Hamburger SV and Energie Cottbus. I love the names that many of the clubs have - they evoke that feeling of tradition.

Frankfurt looked like they didn’t know the league had re-started. Half a sleep as Gladbach put them to the sword. They got into the game eventually but How much of that was Gladbach sitting back on their lead I’m not sure.

Based on that performance they are about to find themselves in a relegation scrape.

Edited by Shahanga

I've changed my opinion. 

I watched the first half Dortmund vs Schalke and that was it. The game itself was decent but I just couldn't connect, it felt souless and lacked anything resembling a "normal" game.

I really can't see how professional sports can go ahead, sure people will tune in to watch their team, but to watch a game you have no prior investment in I really don't think it can work.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 9:12 AM, Jovan said:

I've changed my opinion. 

I watched the first half Dortmund vs Schalke and that was it. The game itself was decent but I just couldn't connect, it felt souless and lacked anything resembling a "normal" game.

I really can't see how professional sports can go ahead, sure people will tune in to watch their team, but to watch a game you have no prior investment in I really don't think it can work.

I think it’s not the crowd, it’s that you have no connection to the match.

A few years ago when fox lost the premier league I gave the Bundesliga a go but fell away quickly as my interest was manufactured (didn’t help that my friend’s team was and still is rubbish). This time though I’m more desperate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

A few years ago when fox lost the premier league I gave the Bundesliga a go but fell away quickly as my interest was manufactured (didn’t help that my friend’s team was and still is rubbish). This time though I’m more desperate.

Spot on imo. You don't just pick a club and fall in love with it like that; it's developed like any relationship.

Unfortunately we've all fallen in love with the Danoz Direct salesman that's all promise and disappointing end product for the most part. Never the less, its still love despite the glaring flaws and we ride the bumps in the hope of the next Ab King Pro....

Edited by bt50

IMO you're both right.

Going forward, if spectators aren't going to participate in football then it is going to be next to impossible for anyone to emotionally invest in a club. Half the enjoyment for me is sharing the experience, the anticipation, the excitement and then the reflection afterwards -  going to the match, meeting up with friends on the train, talking about last time, sitting with"the gang" inside the ground, and then going home afterwards and talking about the match you've just seen. You don't get that watching the screen in your living room. 

Football is entertainment. All forms of entertainment are going to suffer and many will collapse without an audience.

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Agree, but my point was more from a neutral standing and possibly with a slight bias being formed during a game and then maybe watching more.

Over the years I've watched thousands of games (not an exaggeration) and my point was that I couldn't connect to the game itself not so much the teams or league. 

It felt like a pre season friendly and unless it's my team that I got a prior investment in I won't watch normally. 

So what I'm getting at is that going forward "ghost games" IMO will have little attraction to anyone that is not a direct supporter. 

I'm not sure how big a percentage of viewers generally are neutral so maybe my point is irrelevant but the game without a crowd is very different. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m still watching Eintract Frankfurt’s weekend games but I have to say I’m finding it hard yakka. 
They are not the most entertaining side it must be said (top scorer is a centre back) but you can hardly blame them given they aren’t that far off being in a relegation scrape. That knowledge doesn’t make it easier to watch though.