Melbourne Football

Melbourne City kit change will mirror Manchester City’s blue

daniboi

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Here is an evil though - could we be witnessing the rise of the sporting club without having a natural fan base? That is the equivalent of fabricated pop produced by the likes of Simon Cowell and delivered by the One Directions of this world. There have always been pop fakes who sell a lot of records but once their 15 minutes are up no one remembers them. Could this be happening to sport?

How about New York Red Bulls, Salzburg Red Bulls, Red Bull Basil, Red Bull Ghana and Red Bull Leifering? Not the first mate but definately the best! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Here is an evil though - could we be witnessing the rise of the sporting club without having a natural fan base? That is the equivalent of fabricated pop produced by the likes of Simon Cowell and delivered by the One Directions of this world. There have always been pop fakes who sell a lot of records but once their 15 minutes are up no one remembers them. Could this be happening to sport?

The natural fanbase is people living in the same area as the team... How are you going to get rid of them?

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

CFG wont stop until they turn Melbourne City into a powerhouse of Australia/Asia. They will  make a statement of intent this season!! They will aim to blow the league apart as you will see by the visa/marquee signings they bring in.

With success comes recognition and a bigger following = profit

The FFA want the crowds and the game to grow and have now turned to City to make it happen with CFG having a greater say in how the league grows.

I expect other clubs to follow suit in being bought out by overseas clubs (which could only be healthy for the game) ......

Edited by AntiScum

10 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I'm not sure if it is that simple, Manchester City is the only CFG team where football is the priority.

Not so sure about that. CFG have made plenty of mistakes in Manchester too. They're currently copping a lot of flak on social media for the decision to rebrand their twitter and website from MCFC to ManCity - a term which foreign fans use all the time but which is despised by Mancunians - and for changing the club's colours from sky blue (sorry - "City blue") with white trim and white shorts to sky blue with navy trim and sky blue shorts.And let's not forget that the "Cityzens" thing is based on a nickname for Manchester City ("the Citizens", if it wasn't obvious) which the media invented for the club but the fanbase rejected from Day One - and now we have it forced down our throats on a constant basis by the club itself. The question of identity is particularly pertinent in Manchester at the moment.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Is anyone happy?

About us wearing sky blue? Well as has been mentioned in the other thread discussing this exact topic a few weeks before this one was made, wearing sky blue at least we know is permanent so at least we won't be wearing an away kit as a home kit. So thats a good start.

The OP sewms pretty happy about it too.

44 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Is anyone happy?

I'm still hoping for a sky blue and white striped kit. Or at least something that is different from the other two with a heart shape the same as Melbourne Heart on the back or front below the neck.  

Edited by Dylan

4 hours ago, Falastur said:

Not so sure about that. CFG have made plenty of mistakes in Manchester too. They're currently copping a lot of flak on social media for the decision to rebrand their twitter and website from MCFC to ManCity - a term which foreign fans use all the time but which is despised by Mancunians - and for changing the club's colours from sky blue (sorry - "City blue") with white trim and white shorts to sky blue with navy trim and sky blue shorts.And let's not forget that the "Cityzens" thing is based on a nickname for Manchester City ("the Citizens", if it wasn't obvious) which the media invented for the club but the fanbase rejected from Day One - and now we have it forced down our throats on a constant basis by the club itself. The question of identity is particularly pertinent in Manchester at the moment.

I hate the term cityzens with a passion. Just screams marketing bullshit from someone who has absolutely no connection with the fans

• Like 5

14 hours ago, M13 said:

The natural fanbase is people living in the same area as the team... How are you going to get rid of them?

But if the team's identity is essentially based on the identity of another team in another area (in this case in another country, Man City in Manchester), then are the people living in the same area as the team (i.e. the people of Melbourne) really the natural fanbase of Melbourne City FC?

My last 2 posts in this thread are simply about this question: If Melbourne City is fully "brand aligned" with Man City--with name (City), colours ("City Blue), identical home kits--who is Melbourne City's natural fanbase? And especially when our club goes out of its way to help Man City with footballing matters, with training/development for NYCFC and Man City youth players (e.g. Villa and George Evans in 14/15), with scouting Australian players (like Arzani) and producing players for Man City to use or sell (like Aaron Mooy)--if Melbourne City spends lots of its time serving the interests of Man City, NYCFC and CFG, is it really a Melbourne club? All other football clubs (except for feeder clubs) spend all of their time trying to make sure their own respective football teams are successful.

So as I said in my first post in this thread, I believe Melbourne City has do more of one of two things: 1) make Melbourne City more relevant to Melbourne (that is, give Melbourne City more of a Melbourne identity), or 2.) make Melbourne City more successful (sign star players, win lots of games and win silverware [maybe even become a Bling club if necessary]).

I'm sure when the season rolls around and the football takes over, and Melbourne City acts like a normal football club playing matches each week, these issues will fade into the background. But during the 4 months or so of A-League pre-season, when there's announcements like Melb City will be able to wear an identical kit to Man City's from 2017-18 (after a silent campaign making by Melb City making as much training gear sky blue as possible, which Gallop said informed his decision to let the team wear sky blue home kits), it's hard not to reflect on what type of club Melbourne City is. And I'm not sure everything sits well with me. Anyway, I can't wait for pre-season to start in earnest, and for the team to start playing football again.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

But if the team's identity is essentially based on the identity of another team in another area (in this case in another country, Man City in Manchester), then are the people living in the same area as the team (i.e. the people of Melbourne) really the natural fanbase of Melbourne City FC?

My last 2 posts in this thread are simply about this question: If Melbourne City is fully "brand aligned" with Man City--with name (City), colours ("City Blue), identical home kits--who is Melbourne City's natural fanbase? And especially when our club goes out of its way to help Man City with footballing matters, with training/development for NYCFC and Man City youth players (e.g. Villa and George Evans in 14/15), with scouting Australian players (like Arzani) and producing players for Man City to use or sell (like Aaron Mooy)--if Melbourne City spends lots of its time serving the interests of Man City, NYCFC and CFG, is it really a Melbourne club? All other football clubs (except for feeder clubs) spend all of their time trying to make sure their own respective football teams are successful.

So as I said in my first post in this thread, I believe Melbourne City has do more of one of two things: 1) make Melbourne City more relevant to Melbourne (that is, give Melbourne City more of a Melbourne identity), or 2.) make Melbourne City more successful (sign star players, win lots of games and win silverware [maybe even become a Bling club if necessary]).

I'm sure when the season rolls around and the football takes over, and Melbourne City acts like a normal football club playing matches each week, these issues will fade into the background. But during the 4 months or so of A-League pre-season, when there's announcements like Melb City will be able to wear an identical kit to Man City's from 2017-18 (after a silent campaign making by Melb City making as much training gear sky blue as possible, which Gallop said informed his decision to let the team wear sky blue home kits), it's hard not to reflect on what type of club Melbourne City is. And I'm not sure everything sits well with me. Anyway, I can't wait for pre-season to start in earnest, and for the team to start playing football again.

Valid points to an extent but Melbourne City will always be Melbourne City. Yes we are owned by CFG but wearing the same kits as Man City is purely a commerical aspect of it. You get more merchandise for sale (which people have complained about) with less wasteage. 

One thing you need to remember Murf is football is now a business!!!

CFG WILL make Melbourne City a footballing force. They have been around a few years now they have learnt who they are dealing with/what needs to be done. They will be first to admit they have made mistakes and they WILL learn from it. To come out and say they want membership to increase by 45% tells you to expect something big to happen and it will!!!

19 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

For what it's worth my qualms aren't so much with CFG and Man City. My criticism are more to do with the "one football club owning another model". I'm starting to think it has some inherent problems.

Nothing wrong using a business model that works in the best league in the world and enhancing our own football culture. The professionalism will hopefully work and rub off at lower levels and adopt the european professionalism which has never exisited in Australia Football. Its onwards and upwards for the game in this country!

Support your global franchise! Fuck local clubs. Modern football is good. We are customers not supporters. City blue through and through! No more red and white. Erase Heart, we need to move forward as a new club! Our club was established 2014 not 2010! All aboard the Cityzens yay!

4 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Support your global franchise! Fuck local clubs. Modern football is good. We are customers not supporters. City blue through and through! No more red and white. Erase Heart, we need to move forward as a new club! Our club was established 2014 not 2010! All aboard the Cityzens yay!

thats the spirit! you seem pretty happy since you hopped off the steroids

Just now, strider said:

thats the spirit! you seem pretty happy since you hopped off the steroids

loving the plastic supporter life! so much better to go when theyre only winning. Why waste money to see a losing team? my lounge room couch is better than aami park seats! also the terrace should be banned. i should be able to watch a game in peace and quiet and only clap when they kick a goal! 

btw i dont use roids hahahaha

• Like 2

Whilst I disagree with some of Murf's conclusions, IMO he's right about the issue of Melbourne City's connectivity with fans, and it seems from Falastur's comments that there is the same issue with Manchester City itself. I don't necessarily think this is confined to the period of CFG ownership - I consistently overestimated the number of fans who would be drawn to Melbourne Heart, right from our very first match when I was out by a factor of 2 on the actual attendance - but apart from the slow growth we have seen it would seem that CFG's approach hasn't made much of an impact on attendances and memberships.

Whatever we are - fans, supporters, consumers, customers - I do think there's a strong case for a local approach to the connections between the club and us, and IMO it's something that Melbourne City needs to work very hard on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Whilst I disagree with some of Murf's conclusions, IMO he's right about the issue of Melbourne City's connectivity with fans, and it seems from Falastur's comments that there is the same issue with Manchester City itself. I don't necessarily think this is confined to the period of CFG ownership - I consistently overestimated the number of fans who would be drawn to Melbourne Heart, right from our very first match when I was out by a factor of 2 on the actual attendance - but apart from the slow growth we have seen it would seem that CFG's approach hasn't made much of an impact on attendances and memberships.

Whatever we are - fans, supporters, consumers, customers - I do think there's a strong case for a local approach to the connections between the club and us, and IMO it's something that Melbourne City needs to work very hard on.

When you give a Melbourne club a 5 year head start you could say straight off the bat you are 10 years behind. Add to that a woeful Heart board who were not very ambitious and lacked the funds to compete with the bullshit break even model. You can pretty much blame the FFA for not bringing in two Melbourne teams straigh up rather than have your bullshit corporate politics at board level where "certain franchise owners who were mates with the FFA board" were looked after!! 

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

revisit your statement in 6 months time .......

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I guess my general criticism of Melbourne City--that there isn't much of a connection with local supporters and that there's a business-customer relationship--can be leveled at many or most football clubs nowadays. It is a fair comment that football is today a (big) business. Nonetheless, I don't think supporters of football clubs need to be ok or happy with that reality, and they are right to ask for their football club to try and connect with its fanbase.

I guess Melbourne City does deserve some credit for growing this club's membership base to a record level of members (although there was a dip last season compared with the season before). I believe Melbourne Heart had around 5,300 members in its first season, and Melbourne City had around 12,000 members in 2014/15, and over 10,000 members last season.

But one thing that strikes me is we keep hearing the same things. Last season Munn said "The goal for us is 14,000 [members]. We are very bullish we will get there" (source). And indeed, even in 2009 before Melbourne Heart's first season Munn was "expecting to attract crowds of around 15,000 to the new purpose-built rectangular stadium" (source).

So the club is on an upward trajectory. But especially as Melbourne City has UAE-based owners (effectively), and is based on Manchester located Man City, I believe Melbourne City has to work extra hard to build connections with its local supporters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

When you give a Melbourne club a 5 year head start you could say straight off the bat you are 10 years behind. Add to that a woeful Heart board who were not very ambitious and lacked the funds to compete with the bullshit break even model. You can pretty much blame the FFA for not bringing in two Melbourne teams straigh up rather than have your bullshit corporate politics at board level where "certain franchise owners who were mates with the FFA board" were looked after!! 

revisit your statement in 6 months time .......

I'm sensing a prediction coming up...

• Like 4

On 01/07/2016 at 9:59 PM, SF33 said:

To be blunt: what utter shit from Gallop.

What, exactly has changed? What meant that it was impossible, that Sydney's argument was far too compelling in 2014/15, but good to go in 2017/18? Since a lot of our training gear for last season was navy blue, does that mean that if City Blue was pretty much the same colour as Victory's home shirt, we could have two teams in Melbourne in navy blue?

I really don't care if our home shirt is sky blue or white, but I just have an issue with listening to this crap. And I'll never understand why CFG actually cares what we wear at our home games, as long as we have a sky blue kit to take the obligatory promo shots in.

He had to say something. They are accepting the commercial benefits now. They would never say they have just back flipped on their decision. It's PR.

On ‎2‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:43 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

But the thing is it hasn't worked in Manchester, Man City get shit crowds and have one of the best squads in Europe 

Aren't they expanding their stadium due to a season-ticket waiting list? Happy to be corrected?

4 hours ago, daniboi said:

Aren't they expanding their stadium due to a season-ticket waiting list? Happy to be corrected?

Yes, we expanded to 55,000 last year and there's talk of it being expanded again in the next 12 months to 61,000. Every single league game sells out (although you often see empty seats spotted around because the main season ticket holders in the bottom tier often find that they can't attend due to any number of reason which I won't go into). However cup games often struggle for attendance, largely because the fans who were previously used to 40 games a season after being knocked out of both cups straight away are now being expected to attend 60 games a season including a third cup, and they basically can't afford to attend that many - the fans are, statistically, from one of the poorest areas of the country. Also, Champions League attendance is often poor because, simply put, the fans hate the competition.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

Yes, we expanded to 55,000 last year and there's talk of it being expanded again in the next 12 months to 61,000. Every single league game sells out (although you often see empty seats spotted around because the main season ticket holders in the bottom tier often find that they can't attend due to any number of reason which I won't go into). However cup games often struggle for attendance, largely because the fans who were previously used to 40 games a season after being knocked out of both cups straight away are now being expected to attend 60 games a season including a third cup, and they basically can't afford to attend that many - the fans are, statistically, from one of the poorest areas of the country. Also, Champions League attendance is often poor because, simply put, the fans hate the competition.

Basically this ^

On 7/1/2016 at 11:24 PM, Jestr said:

i don't get why people keep hanging shit on Keep the Red and White' campaign.

At the time those who were desperate to hold on to the old colours did what they could instead of sitting on the arse just whining like most here.

it didn't work because in modern football money is more important than football supporters and their views.

What we do doesn't matter.

so get your seat cityzen, cover yourself in blue and sing for your franchise  

On 7/2/2016 at 9:36 AM, Shahanga said:

I don't understand either.

i also don't understand why the mind set is "why did you try to fight, you were always going to lose".

So what? Shit that's worth fighting for, it's worth fighting for.

The reason PPL (Me being the biggest one) hang shit on the #KeepMelbourneRedAndWhite campaign is because its main organisers spent the whole time calling out anyone who thought knew it was pointless (Which is was ultimately proven to be so) as not proper Heart fans.

Even when a lot the if the PPL - The Campaigners were calling out were those who spent the whole of last Season of MH doing all the weekly duties in running the Terrace doing things uch as the Season's Tifos and co-ordinating Away Trips. Whilst many of the campaigners just stood to the side of Terrace and did a couple of chants a game and some cases often ducked out before the final whistle.

Those who were on here back then will remember the campaign organisers spending their whole time proclaiming and threatening how they would never support the club if it changed it colours (or some cases name) and knocked anyone who deviated from such an opinion.

Of course these threats ended up being beyond empty, with the key campaigners who made them all attending the first meeting for the New City Active Group (Even suggesting names for the new group) and then began to slowly then regularly to attend City games in Melbourne or watching City games (in particular finals) at The Gimp. 

It left a sour taste in a lot of PPL mouths to be called bad supporters for not committing to doing something... when these people did not even follow up on their promises which formed the basis of their ridicule towards other committed Heart Fans

Edit - Also giving credit to the campaigners for the Red and White Kit is a load of crap, anyone who had any contact with the club at the time knows that when the Sky Blue Kit was rejected the club was forced to make intended White Away Kit our Home Kit and made up the Red and White Away Kit as a last minute solution.

Edited by cadete

4 hours ago, Falastur said:

Great post, cheers.

Also to give some credence to the global 'City' brand. I'm a Newcastle United supporter (despite the best efforts of Fat Mike), yet my children all want to watch Man City on the weekends because they are our sister club.

3 hours ago, cadete said:

The reason PPL (Me being the biggest one) hang shit on the #KeepMelbourneRedAndWhite campaign is because its main organisers spent the whole time calling out anyone who thought knew it was pointless (Which is was ultimately proven to be so) as not proper Heart fans.

Even when a lot the if the PPL - The Campaigners were calling out were those who spent the whole of last Season of MH doing all the weekly duties in running the Terrace doing things uch as the Season's Tifos and co-ordinating Away Trips. Whilst many of the campaigners just stood to the side of Terrace and did a couple of chants a game and some cases often ducked out before the final whistle.

Those who were on here back then will remember the campaign organisers spending their whole time proclaiming and threatening how they would never support the club if it changed it colours (or some cases name) and knocked anyone who deviated from such an opinion.

Of course these threats ended up being beyond empty, with the key campaigners who made them all attending the first meeting for the New City Active Group (Even suggesting names for the new group) and then began to slowly then regularly to attend City games in Melbourne or watching City games (in particular finals) at The Gimp. 

It left a sour taste in a lot of PPL mouths to be called bad supporters for not committing to doing something... when these people did not even follow up on their promises which formed the basis of their ridicule towards other committed Heart Fans

Edit - Also giving credit to the campaigners for the Red and White Kit is a load of crap, anyone who had any contact with the club at the time knows that when the Sky Blue Kit was rejected the club was forced to make intended White Away Kit our Home Kit and made up the Red and White Away Kit as a last minute solution.

I'm waiting for the "No Navy Blue" campaign...

• Like 1

The club is what it is ... and that is being part of a global business, where the end game is to have a transferable, recognisable brand / synergy across all facets of the organisation.  And CFG is a legitimate world best practice innovative business / sports model, with a driver for ongoing success in each of the leagues where they have an interest.  In addition, CFG teams are to be entertaining, to not run at a loss and to ultimately give-back for the betterment of the local game (community / social campaigns, women's football, youth pathways, the FFA go-to club that can give the A-League relevance, etc).

What the above translates into does create a disconnect between certain supporters and CFG.  But, it also means that this club will have continued opportunities for success and will provide a product that is highly entertaining to watch.  These outcomes by default, will continue to grow local / regional support, and eventually, legitimise the club as genuine to the Melbourne sports landscape.

Although Melbourne City FC will soon be 'City Blue', the failed Keep Melbourne Red and White campaign was not a complete waste, and is arguably the reason why aspects of Heart appear in our logo and why our clash strip is red and white (for now at least).  Most of all, the campaign helped unify certain fans and build some history for the club, which will always be part of our story. 

For those who cannot cope with our club being part of a global machine, there's no point complaining whenever something happens that reinforces this, because that is now the way things are.  For those who cannot reconcile with these realities, it's probably best to wait for the next Vic club to enter the comp, and then hope that they offer a product that is local in nature and ambition. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The club is what it is ... and that is being part of a global business, where the end game is to have a transferable, recognisable brand / synergy across all facets of the organisation.  And CFG is a legitimate world best practice innovative business / sports model, with a driver for ongoing success in each of the leagues where they have an interest.  In addition, CFG teams are to be entertaining, to not run at a loss and to ultimately give-back for the betterment of the local game (community / social campaigns, women's football, youth pathways, the FFA go-to club that can give the A-League relevance, etc).

What the above translates into does create a disconnect between certain supporters and CFG.  But, it also means that this club will have continued opportunities for success and will provide a product that is highly entertaining to watch.  These outcomes by default, will continue to grow local / regional support, and eventually, legitimise the club as genuine to the Melbourne sports landscape.

Although Melbourne City FC will soon be 'City Blue', the failed Keep Melbourne Red and White campaign was not a complete waste, and is arguably the reason why aspects of Heart appear in our logo and why our clash strip is red and white (for now at least).  Most of all, the campaign helped unify certain fans and build some history for the club, which will always be part of our story. 

For those who cannot cope with our club being part of a global machine, there's no point complaining whenever something happens that reinforces this, because that is now the way things are.  For those who cannot reconcile with these realities, it's probably best to wait for the next Vic club to enter the comp, and then hope that they offer a product that is local in nature and ambition. 

1. The Red and White was an afterthought put together at the last minute when the club had to submit a new kit to the Pure Man City Home/Away kits they wanted and had nothing to do with the campaign.

2. The Logo came from the adoption of displaying the Large Melbourne Flag by Yarraside in Season 2, which was three seasons prior to the end of Heart's last Season and the  #KeepMelbourneRedand White campaign.

3. The campaign did the exact opposite in unifying fans and building history for the club, the campaigners lambasted anyone who thought their campaign was pointless and did not have their supposed "We Stay Red or Leave" View. Which largely centred around criticing YSIDE Core and the large bulk of the YSIDE Outer Core who held such a view due having accepting the decision had not been made... something we hardly were happy about happening.

4. Also on the day itself the #KeepMelbourneRedandWhite and the submitting of their Tifo at the last possible moment not going through the proper club channels actually prevented the Active Youth Group MU5 from displaying a Tifo they had worked hard on for weeks and been given approval to show at the match for a month.

5. Most of all at the end of the day, for all the criticism these PPL dished out to others for not joining them in their proposed threats to boycott(In my case I had the pleasure of one Campaign Leader using his friend's account on here to attack my physical appearance) ... none of these PPL ever kept their word anyway and can be seen at games to this very this day..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cadete said:

5. Most of all at the end of the day, for all the criticism these PPL dished out to others for not joining them in their proposed threats to boycott(In my case I had the pleasure of one Campaign Leader using his friend's account on here to attack my physical appearance) ... none of these PPL ever kept their word anyway and can be seen at games to this very this day..

Why attck your appearance when the Vespa is a so much easier target!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, strider said:

det pls you're fit and firing now. it was all for the greater good 

that vespa tho

Yeah, the comments that were made looking back on them now are rather humourous... but the using of someone else's account to make multiple posts containing these comments however still remains gutless and pathetic.

• Like 1

1. The Red and White was an afterthought put together at the last minute when the club had to submit a new kit to the Pure Man City Home/Away kits they wanted and had nothing to do with the campaign.

Regardless, they still chose Red & White as the clash kit, which the club officially stated was based on the history of Heart, and which kept some Red & White at the club.  This may change in the future, but at the time, this was the reason given

2. The Logo came from the adoption of displaying the Large Melbourne Flag by Yarraside in Season 2, which was three seasons prior to the end of Heart's last Season and the  #KeepMelbourneRedand White campaign.

Yes, you are right.  The decision to use this as our logo was inspired by Yarraside, and also as the flag has Red & White colours in it.  Plus, they also added the little Heart symbols.  And it just so happened that they could also say that the decision ticked a KeepMelbourneRedandWhite box, which CFG thought would appease the campaigners.

3. The campaign did the exact opposite in unifying fans and building history for the club, the campaigners lambasted anyone who thought their campaign was pointless and did not have their supposed "We Stay Red or Leave" View. Which largely centred around criticing YSIDE Core and the large bulk of the YSIDE Outer Core who held such a view due having accepting the decision had not been made... something we hardly were happy about happening.

I did say 'certain' fans, and yes their was turmoil (change = denial, anger, confusion, depression, crisis, acceptance, new confidence), which was eventually worked through by most, with a predictable level of collateral damage, along the way.  I'd argue that most of those involved in the campaign did unify.  Yarraside made their decision early, and yes, that created a lot of passionate debate and argument, but it did happen, so that chapter is part of the history of the club (be it good or bad).  

4. Also on the day itself the #KeepMelbourneRedandWhite and the submitting of their Tifo at the last possible moment not going through the proper club channels actually prevented the Active Youth Group MU5 from displaying a Tifo they had worked hard on for weeks and been given approval to show at the match for a month.

Ok, yes there were aspects of the whole affair that were difficult, but the message still got out, including some mainstream media ... and the message was heard & acknowledged by CFG

There was clearly a lot of passion generated throughout the ordeal, with people saying all sorts of ridiculous & nasty things, but at the end of the day, that's human nature for you.  You can dwell on the he said / she said till your blue in the face, but this wont stop people being predictable and going back on their word.  As we stand now,  I think that people who were Heart supporters, still support the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Just with these two points, are you saying  that essentially they've decided to appease supporters based on a flag displayed 4 years ago at a time when Heart wasn't even on their radar yet they've ignored the Red and White campaign 2 years ago after they had purchased the club?

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Just with these two points, are you saying  that essentially they've decided to appease supporters based on a flag displayed 4 years ago at a time when Heart wasn't even on their radar yet they've ignored the Red and White campaign 2 years ago after they had purchased the club?

I've been told the full story of this. After the take over one of the City guys was going through some fan pictures and basically said "we have to use that" when he saw the display.

TL;DR @cadete is spot on

27 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Just with these two points, are you saying  that essentially they've decided to appease supporters based on a flag displayed 4 years ago at a time when Heart wasn't even on their radar and they've ignored the Red and White campaign 2 years ago after they had purchased the club?

What are you talking about?

The Flag was raised prior to every second Heart Home Game by Yarraside for Four Years, I cant remember it ever being adopted by Bay 16 prior or during their #KeepMelbourneRedandWhite Campaign. 

The club instructed the players on the day to ignore the campaign (Which they did) and then immediately after put plans in for us to wear Sky Blue at Home and White/Sky Blue and Navy when playing Away. I dont know how CFG could have ignored the campaign more blatantly than by doing the above. 

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I've been told the full story of this. After the take over one of the City guys was going through some fan pictures and basically said "we have to use that" when he saw the display.

TL;DR @cadete is spot on

My point is "Does it really matter where the inspiration came from?" We have IMO the best football club badge in the world, and the basics of it have been copied to the other two operating clubs in the stable - even the mother club itself.
Similarly with the red-and-white. The "Who did what, where, and to whom?" doesn't matter. What matters is that we currently have r&w as our change kit, and we should be ready to fight to keep it.
Otherwise, IMO it's time to move on as TA has so eloquently suggested.

• Like 3