Melbourne Football

Melbourne City kit change will mirror Manchester City’s blue

daniboi

From Saturday's Herald Sun.  IMHO......Finally!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MELBOURNE City maintains it is not about to completely ditch its red and white Melbourne Heart roots.

But a long-anticipated switch to an all “City Blue” kit — akin to that worn by parent club Manchester City — appears inevitable for season 2017-18.

For the upcoming season City fans can expect their team to appear in a mostly similar kit worn in the past two campaigns, before the “brand and primary colour refresh” is implemented next year.

The change will come ahead of a 2017-18 season in which the A-League as a whole will undergo a major revamp, with logo and other sweeping changes to the look and feel of the competition expected.

City has long campaigned for the ability to wear blue, but initial attempts to make the switch when it transitioned from the Heart moniker in 2014 were scuppered by complaints from Sydney FC — which also wears the colour.

But Football Federation Australia chief David Gallop said the decision to finally approve the push at a board meeting last week was a “common sense” approach.

“Obviously (Sydney’s) concerns were taken on board, but we felt the competition had evolved to a point where there are a number of uses of light blue in the competition apart from Sydney FC,” Gallop said.

“And the global identity of Manchester City perhaps wasn’t being fully utilised in a situation where their strip was a hybrid of white and city blue.

“We just felt that it’s a smart move for the A-League to embrace that global identity and allow them to play in their home strip in city blue.

“A lot of their training gear, their socks — even their net — so many things were that colour anyway, so it seemed right in a common sense way to allow things to evolve to the point where they can now play in their home strip.”

City, when advertising recently for a new membership and ticketing sales manager, indicated it is targeting a 45 per cent membership growth this season, which would take it to 14,500.

The retention of red and white has long been a bone of contention among Heart diehards, but it would be hoped that the club’s apparent willingness to maintain that nod to its history will keep those fans onside.

Gallop said the distinction made between Sydney’s “Sky Blue” and Melbourne’s “City blue” was about terminology rather than literal colour.

“Manchester City have made it clear that Sky Blue is not an expression they’re interested in, city blue is,” he said.

“No one’s saying it’s going to be completely easy, but it seems right to have got to this point.”

This is pretty much old news about the colours isn't it? Covered by FFA 1-2 weeks ago. The membership target intrigues me though. Not sure quite how they're aiming to get that sort of increase unless it's by some startling player news in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is pretty much old news about the colours isn't it? Covered by FFA 1-2 weeks ago. The membership target intrigues me though. Not sure quite how they're aiming to get that sort of increase unless it's by some startling player news in the next couple of weeks.

45% is a massive number and the only way thats remotely achievable is bring out massive names

1 hour ago, daniboi said:

From Saturday's Herald Sun.  IMHO......Finally!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But Football Federation Australia chief David Gallop said the decision to finally approve the push at a board meeting last week was a “common sense” approach.

“Obviously (Sydney’s) concerns were taken on board, but we felt the competition had evolved to a point where there are a number of uses of light blue in the competition apart from Sydney FC,” Gallop said.

“And the global identity of Manchester City perhaps wasn’t being fully utilised in a situation where their strip was a hybrid of white and city blue.

“We just felt that it’s a smart move for the A-League to embrace that global identity and allow them to play in their home strip in city blue.

“A lot of their training gear, their socks — even their net — so many things were that colour anyway, so it seemed right in a common sense way to allow things to evolve to the point where they can now play in their home strip.”

To be blunt: what utter shit from Gallop.

What, exactly has changed? What meant that it was impossible, that Sydney's argument was far too compelling in 2014/15, but good to go in 2017/18? Since a lot of our training gear for last season was navy blue, does that mean that if City Blue was pretty much the same colour as Victory's home shirt, we could have two teams in Melbourne in navy blue?

I really don't care if our home shirt is sky blue or white, but I just have an issue with listening to this crap. And I'll never understand why CFG actually cares what we wear at our home games, as long as we have a sky blue kit to take the obligatory promo shots in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SF33 said:

To be blunt: what utter shit from Gallop.

What, exactly has changed? What meant that it was impossible, that Sydney's argument was far too compelling in 2014/15, but good to go in 2017/18? Since a lot of our training gear for last season was navy blue, does that mean that if City Blue was pretty much the same colour as Victory's home shirt, we could have two teams in Melbourne in navy blue?

I really don't care if our home shirt is sky blue or white, but I just have an issue with listening to this crap. And I'll never understand why CFG actually cares what we wear at our home games, as long as we have a sky blue kit to take the obligatory promo shots in.

Gallop is nothing short of an absolute fuckwit. The sooner his gone the better. CFG aint no mugs and it WILL be there way or the highway, if the FFA want city to prop the league up and make the morons at the FFA look good they might want to lube up in a hurry!!

It was very much anti CFG to begin with but how the tides have turned!!

• Like 1

Was always going to happen.

At least now we'll have a proper kit instead of this white kit with two blue lines down it that nobody gives a fuck about.

As soon as we changed to Melbourne City, we all knew this was inevitable . To think people are blind sighted by this amazes me.

It's time to embrace that CFG are going to do everything in their power to make this club successful. Even though we may lose some identity (compared to the identity of melbourne heart, which was being fucking shit) CFG are actually willing to invest in this club. Lets get behind the people willing to do everything in their power to make us successful.

13 minutes ago, Jestr said:

i don't get why people keep hanging shit on Keep the Red and White' campaign.

At the time those who were desperate to hold on to the old colours did what they could instead of sitting on the arse just whining like most here.

it didn't work because in modern football money is more important than football supporters and their views.

What we do doesn't matter.

so get your seat cityzen, cover yourself in blue and sing for your franchise  

Personally I think those who were involved with the campaign knew we would be wearing sky blue eventually., but as you say they wanted to make it clear that they were not happy about it, so they actually did something about it.

Because of it, CFG were forced to (in a way) expose themselves immediately and admit they cared more about branding than the club and what a lot of the most passionate existing supporters wanted. The actual point of the campaign was successful IMO

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jestr said:

At the time those who were desperate to hold on to the old colours did what they could instead of sitting on the arse just whining like most here.

it didn't work because in modern football money is more important than football supporters and their views.

Say what?

Melbourne-City-Kit-14-15.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaNNaVo93 said:

Say what?

Melbourne-City-Kit-14-15.jpg

That kit was thrown together last minute because our all sky blue home kit was rejected. Our current home kit was meant to be the away kit and as such it got upgraded to home kit status. The badge is what it is because a CFG bigwig saw Yarraside do a flag of melbourne pull over and he liked what he saw.

Unfortunately the keep the red and white campaign achieved nothing.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

That kit was thrown together last minute because our all sky blue home kit was rejected. Our current home kit was meant to be the away kit and as such it got upgraded to home kit status. The badge is what it is because a CFG bigwig saw Yarraside do a flag of melbourne pull over and he liked what he saw.

Yeah they noticed how we tied the flag of Melbourne to the then club colours and it made sense with the name change. Plus the tards identified themselves with another flag of their colours (Eureka). If CFG didn't give a shit about what the fans wanted, then our away would've been like NYCFCs first away kit or something different to not look alike. Then comes our 2nd season, new away kit, still red and white. If NYCFC still rep their orange, surely we will still rep our red. The difference being, NYCFC had no prior history besides the state flag to go by.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Personally I think the campaign and CFG choosing to ignore it has been a huge contributing factor as to why so many Heart fans are apathetic towards City. I don't think it achieved nothing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jestr said:

I don't understand either.

i also don't understand why the mind set is "why did you try to fight, you were always going to lose".

So what? Shit that's worth fighting for, it's worth fighting for.

• Like 2

Murf, I'd guess that when you've tipped 27 million plus into a football club you'd be inclined to want that part of your business to be what you think is best for your overall business, and not worry too much about pissing off a few people along the way. That's the way business works - he who pays the piper calls the tune. You paint a very negative picture of what CFG has done for or to Melbourne Heart, ignore the work that both entities did and do in the community, relationships such as those with NQF and Tasmania, and I note with a somewhat wry chuckle your signature "14/14. Perfection" and its accompanying photograph.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Murf, I'd guess that when you've tipped 27 million plus into a football club you'd be inclined to want that part of your business to be what you think is best for your overall business, and not worry too much about pissing off a few people along the way. 

This is very true. They were buying our license not our club. They effectively chose to erase our club and didn't care about pissing anyone off in the process. And its exactly why so many of us feel no real affection or trust for city.

As for your comments about the good they have done with relationships, community work etc (and they have done a lot of good) it doesnt amount for much if people dont have trust. Its like when politicians kiss babys. We know they aren't doing it because they genuinely care, they are doing it to strengthen their brand.

CFG know if they do things their way they will be successful on and off the field. It's worked in Manchester, and will soon work in every other club.

They don't care if they lose 10 supporters by changing the colours. I don't even think it would phase them if they lost all the heart supporters. Eventually they'll have bigger crowds than heart ever did, and all of those people will be "city" supporters. 

Don't get me wrong I will always be a Melbourne heart supporter, but I've accepted this change because I know it will be for the better. There were times in these past 2 seasons under CFG where I felt keeping these "ties" to heart were actually holding the club back from progressing. It's definitely time to move on from those days, and I'm excited to see what this club is really capable of.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

CFG know if they do things their way they will be successful on and off the field. It's worked in Manchester, and will soon work in every other club.

They don't care if they lose 10 supporters by changing the colours. I don't even think it would phase them if they lost all the heart supporters. Eventually they'll have bigger crowds than heart ever did, and all of those people will be "city" supporters. 

Don't get me wrong I will always be a Melbourne heart supporter, but I've accepted this change because I know it will be for the better. There were times in these past 2 seasons under CFG where I felt keeping these "ties" to heart were actually holding the club back from progressing. It's definitely time to move on from those days, and I'm excited to see what this club is really capable of.

But the thing is it hasn't worked in Manchester, Man City get shit crowds and have one of the best squads in Europe 

11 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

Absolutely they dont care. They have made that clear. The problem is, if you look at our crowds and membership numbers it seems the only people who are interested in the club are the very people they "dont care about losing".

I have accepted the changes. But with that acceptance i dont feel a close connection to the club any more. That may change with time but that's how i feel- and a lot of other people too.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Absolutely they dont care. They have made that clear. The problem is, if you look at our crowds and membership numbers it seems the only people who are interested in the club are the very people they "dont care about losing".

I have accepted the changes. But with that acceptance i dont feel a close connection to the club any more. That may change with time but that's how i feel- and a lot of other people too.

I think with all the changes and also unknowns of CFGs intentions it's been challenging to feel that same connection to the club. I think once the following season (2017/2018) comes along and we have our proper home kit and away kit* more supporters like yourself will know where you stand with the club and what it means to you. 

*Away kit will, by then, show the true intentions of CFG on their thoughts of the red and white and its part in the clubs identity

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

I think with all the changes and also unknowns of CFGs intentions it's been challenging to feel that same connection to the club. I think once the following season (2017/2018) comes along and we have our proper home kit and away kit* mire supporters like yourself will know where you stand with the club and what it means to you. 

*Away kit will, by then, show the true intentions of CFG on their thoughts of the red and white and its part in the clubs identity

Even if the away does change and all ties to Heart are gone, i still may eventually grow to love city for what it is eventually anyway. 

But it just pisses me off when people say "well i am 100% behind city so everyone else should be too". Its not a simple matter of flicking a switch. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Murf, I'd guess that when you've tipped 27 million plus into a football club you'd be inclined to want that part of your business to be what you think is best for your overall business, and not worry too much about pissing off a few people along the way. That's the way business works - he who pays the piper calls the tune. You paint a very negative picture of what CFG has done for or to Melbourne Heart, ignore the work that both entities did and do in the community, relationships such as those with NQF and Tasmania, and I note with a somewhat wry chuckle your signature "14/14. Perfection" and its accompanying photograph.

CFG are fully entitled to run Melbourne City like a business. They can be coldly calculating if they want, and spend most of their time going about pursing their business interests, instead of building a successful and well supported football club.

But I'm a football supporter. TBH I don't really care too much about the owners or their business interests: I just want to follow a football team where everyone at the football club is trying damn hard to make the football team successful. I'm interested in what works for a football club; I'm not interested in the way business works.

I'm just speaking honestly. I have some skepticism about CFG's motives and interests with regards to running Melbourne City. I believe football clubs should have a lot of respect for their football supporters--arguably their main stakeholder. I don't like Modern Football's self-interested billionaire ownership model, as seen with Clive Palmer, where the football club (e.g. Gold Coast United) is often used as a tool to advance other interests (e.g. the business Queensland Nickel, a business owned by Palmer, which was long the main front of shirt sponsor of GCU). And in many ways the CFG model with Melbourne City is Modern Football Plus: it isn't just the case of a rich ownership group advancing business interests--it's a rich ownership group using Melbourne City to advance the interests of another football club (Man City).

For what it's worth my qualms aren't so much with CFG and Man City. My criticism are more to do with the "one football club owning another model". I'm starting to think it has some inherent problems.

With regards to the good things CFG have done, a party can do good things and still have bad motives or interests (like with the politician kissing a baby example. Another example is a rich multinational corporation doing some token community programs to deflect from some pernicious aspects of their general business). 

I am highly appreciate of what CFG have done with regard's to Melbourne City's women's team. It is perhaps the best thing they have done for this club IMO. At the same time, I don't think they did anything especially difficult by building a successful W-League team (most W-League clubs owners spend less than $150,000 on their whole squads. It's amazing they all manage to field teams week after week).

Perhaps CFG have decided that they can wait for Melbourne Heart supporters to become disinterested and go away, and then they can build a club with supporters that have only ever known the brand-aligned CFG owned Melbourne City FC. Maybe they don't want any Melbourne Heart supporters to stick around. I don't know. But I don't think the club has included supporters with the club's affairs to the extent WSW has, which had fan forums to get supporter input and make them feel directly connected to the club. 

Anyway I'm tipping there to be lots of changes with Melbourne City over the next 12 or 18 months, so I guess I and other supporters will know where we stand with the club by then. I'm just hoping that the club respects the supporters, and that it doesn't become the very worst things associated with Modern Football.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Just now, KSK_47 said:

Even if the away does change and all ties to Heart are gone, i still may eventually grow to love city for what it is eventually anyway. 

But it just pisses me off when people say "well i am 100% behind city so everyone else should be too". Its not a simple matter of flicking a switch. 

I know the very kind. While I understand their angle on it many of them simply don't get the counter arguement. Speaking from experience I find patience is imperative when having these discussions :up: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heart_fan10 said:

I'm not sure if it is that simple, Manchester City is the only CFG team where football is the priority.

With regards to Melbourne City, branding and exposure are more important to CFG than anything that happens on the pitch.

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But the thing is it hasn't worked in Manchester, Man City get shit crowds and have one of the best squads in Europe 

Well actually the stats for 15/16 season Manchester city averaged the 3rd best crowd attendance behind Manchester utd and Arsenal (whose stadiums both have a higher capacity)

Edited by heart_fan10

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I´d love to know your definition of a good crowd..? :huh:

Man City average attendance 54,041   Capacity 55,097

Here is an evil though - could we be witnessing the rise of the sporting club without having a natural fan base? That is the equivalent of fabricated pop produced by the likes of Simon Cowell and delivered by the One Directions of this world. There have always been pop fakes who sell a lot of records but once their 15 minutes are up no one remembers them. Could this be happening to sport?

• Like 1