Dylan

In or Out  

57 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out

• In
    • Out
    • I only ever came for the sausages

31 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

In India they don't eat beef and they have a maharaja burger instead of a Big Mac, like all Indian attempts at western food (and in my experience the converse is true) it is awful 

No to mention that in India they have Indians working in MacDonald's, while here in Australia they have.............hang on!!!

fuk they are the same 

• Like 4

I always called the White Home Kit the "Purgatory Kit" so I am kind of relieved that the inevitable finally happened and we can move on... it probably helps I have always had the mindset that Melbourne City is not Melbourne Heart,

As for the original PPL who clogged this forum claiming they would never support the club if "They did changed the Colours" or even if "They Changed the Name and Colours"... they attended the first Supporter Meetings for when the Colours did change and Melbourne City were created.

They have also continued to attend City games for two seasons so I doubt they will now "Opt Out" despite whatever grand statements they now make....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cadete said:

I always called the White Home Kit the "Purgatory Kit" so I am kind of relieved that the inevitable finally happened and we can move on... 

Completely agree with this. Although its going to feel so weird watching us in sky blue to start with at least it will feel permanent which will make forming an attachment much easier

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Completely agree with this. Although its going to feel so weird watching us in sky blue to start with at least it will feel permanent which will make forming an attachment much easier

And I think that's why CFG continued to push/cajole/threaten FFA to let it happen. People were never going to be attracted to some sort of hybrid club. Now those who want to can drop the club, those that want to continue can do so, and new supporters can identify with what they are supporting. We can all move on. A bit like Brexit - only time will tell whether the right decision has been made.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And I think that's why CFG continued to push/cajole/threaten FFA to let it happen. People were never going to be attracted to some sort of hybrid club. Now those who want to can drop the club, those that want to continue can do so, and new supporters can identify with what they are supporting. We can all move on. A bit like Brexit - only time will tell whether the right decision has been made.

Well said, I think in the long run its the right move. They've bought in to spread their "brand." As much as we are critical of being a Man City clone, I would rather a proper clone than cheap imitation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Notice how people dont feel emotionally connected to their local McDonalds because they are the same around the world because they are all virtually the same. One of the main reasons football is so popular around the globe is the fans feelings of pride and connection between club and community. 

Although modern football is consumed differently and much like a McDonalds chain, its customers dont feel any real sense of loyalty or pride. 

It's not all about emotional attachment, it's about brand loyalty and corporate branding. People go with what they know. They do have emotional attachment to food though (comfort food). This is even shown at a chemical level. Mixing the right amount of fat, sugar and salt does funny things to the brain. I disagree with the customers not feeling pride, I have a rather large friend more than happy to confess his love and affection for Maccas. Some customers feel shame but still turn up at Maccas (much like fans on this forum). In fact I bet in this country more people are interested in McDonalds than Melbourne City.

So how does this relate to us well clearly our overlords want all teams to play in a similar kit and produce a similar type/ approach to their football. They want brand recognition and to create a positive feeling towards their product. Both football and non football is it a surprise Etihad is on every kit? I think not.

11 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I get the impression that CFG have the idea in their heads that we will all start supporting the other city clubs too. And they can make 3 or 4 times as much money from us because we will start buying merch from all the citys as well as our own. And when we book our holidays we  factor in visits to other cfg owned teams and we can wear our Melbourne city shirts in Manchester or new york or where ever the else they they start a team and we will be welcomed like one of the locals because we are all family and we will all hug each other.

Why do you think that the football club or you are the target demographic?

As noted above it is about selling marketing space to other companies, and it is also about selling merchandising into Asia. There are people here who will buy merchandising but overall it will be about Asia. You want loyalty get yourself a pet rock.

my gut feeling is.

Home kit - "City Blue" - Come on we all knew this would happen.

Away kit: Red and White - I think they would be happy to leave this as it is.

I am more than happy for CFG to come in and call the shots. If we didn't do it SFC or victory would of. We are no longer that small club trying to be Victory. We are the Melbourne Club trying to become the best in Asia.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I wonder how many Man City supporters will start coming to games.

It's always a good thing when you cut away the rotted roots of the past as it always lead to new growth and a stronger core.

Another step towards A league domination.

How many even are there? They are low in the pecking order in Australia

1. Man Utd
  2. Liverpool
  3. Arsenal
  4. Chelsea
  5. Man City then a fair way behind the big 4

16 minutes ago, Deeming said:

How many even are there? They are low in the pecking order in Australia

1. Man Utd
  2. Liverpool
  3. Arsenal
  4. Chelsea
  5. Man City then a fair way behind the big 4

Well what do u recon 10 000 odd?

Well if they start identifying with us then we may get an extra 2000+ to our games which will only be a positive seeing our poor attendances last season.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Well what do u recon 10 000 odd?

Well if they start identifying with us then we may get an extra 2000+ to our games which will only be a positive seeing our poor attendances last season.

Maybe.

But for every Man City supporter becomes a Melb City supporter because of changing to a sky blue strip it's more than likely to deter more non Manchester City supporters. 

FWIW anything is better that white nothing strip we've had. I really aren't fussed by the color/name song stuff as long as they don't continually change it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Maybe.

But for every Man City supporter becomes a Melb City supporter because of changing to a sky blue strip it's more than likely to deter more non Manchester City supporters. 

This is the big problem. They would need all 10,000 (I think that's probably high) to join to make up for the other club's fans who will be put off by it. Its not just Man Utd fans, as am Arsenal fan I don't like it. As a proud Victorian I see NSW as the enemy therefore I hate it. Is it a deal-breaker for me? No but it will knock off a decent chunk of the loyalty/bond I feel. It will almost certainly mean I won't buy merchandise.  I know this isn't the same for everyone but I really can't see how the benefits of brand 'synergy' are going to bring more support to the club than they will lose or prevent from implementing this.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm just different, but I've really only supported two clubs in my whole life - by "supported" I mean regularly attend matches and felt elated with a win and devastated by a defeat. The club of the town where I was born - and I still regularly follow their results and watch match videos etc. - and Melbourne City. That support will never be influenced by who actually owns these two clubs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

As a funny aside was reading this thread while going for a walk on lunch. Saw a kid in a Melbourne city jacket wearing a man city top. They're out there it seems

If you had not used the word "KID" I would thought you had just seen SEN's own "Snapper from Port Phillip Bay".

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Notice how people dont feel emotionally connected to their local McDonalds because they are the same around the world because they are all virtually the same. One of the main reasons football is so popular around the globe is the fans feelings of pride and connection between club and community. 

Although modern football is consumed differently and much like a McDonalds chain, its customers dont feel any real sense of loyalty or pride. 

yeah, this was my point. 

I understand brand value, but football isn't an ordinary product.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I don't think that's confined to football. I'd say I have that feeling about all the spectator sports that I have ever cared about.

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys but i've seen tons of Man City supporters turn to Melb City as soon as they heard of the takeover. And I promise you, there are tons of Melb City fans out there. They just don't come to games for whatever reason.

If adopting City Blue means that CFG pump more money into marquees and facilities to make us a powerhouse in Asia then I am all for it. Gone of the days of ice baths in wheelie bins. We are one of if not the biggest mover and shaker in the league right now and I for one am exited to see what happens in the future. I loved Melbourne Heart and they grew into City. Weather sky blue or Red and White I will support my team. If people want to leave due to colours. Go for it your choice that's fan. But a small change may result in huge gains.

3 minutes ago, Cityslicker09 said:

If adopting City Blue means that CFG pump more money into marquees and facilities to make us a powerhouse in Asia then I am all for it. Gone of the days of ice baths in wheelie bins. We are one of if not the biggest mover and shaker in the league right now and I for one am exited to see what happens in the future. I loved Melbourne Heart and they grew into City. Weather sky blue or Red and White I will support my team. If people want to leave due to colours. Go for it your choice that's fan. But a small change may result in huge gains.

Now as long as our marquee is not injured for the first 10 rounds, I'll be happy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Falastur said:

So just how different do we all think Sky Blue and City Blue will be? Different enough that you can even tell them apart at long range?

it's the same colour, just marketing bullshit with the name

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No different from the same colour paint but given different names by two different manufacturers.

"Marketing bullshit blue."

I don't think it's even marketing.

It's funny that it took this long (plus some nice dealings between CFG and FFA ) for some bright spark to think of changing the name 'sky' to 'city' will be the justification needed to get the light blue colour change through.

If i was an objective observer looking at all of this, I'd be thinking how dodgy the whole system is.... but I'm not. I'm a City supporter and for once I'm rapt we get to hold the Aces now.

Money and power trumps all in HAL, can we please now just turn it into Silverware? 

The point of difference here is purely in the name.  Sydney get to stay as the 'Sky Blues' ... City get to be blue, but must call it 'City Blue'.  Given CFG are in the game of creating a global brand, I wonder whether they will start to refer to the colours of the their other clubs as being 'City Blue'.

38 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The point of difference here is purely in the name.  Sydney get to stay as the 'Sky Blues' ... City get to be blue, but must call it 'City Blue'.  Given CFG are in the game of creating a global brand, I wonder whether they will start to refer to the colours of the their other clubs as being 'City Blue'.

When I was a kid in England only one club was known as the "Sky Blues." That club was Coventry City. Not much seems to have changed - I just Googled "sky blues" and lo and behold, the first page of hits is all Coventry. 
Looks like CFG is stuck with "City blue."

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When I was a kid in England only one club was known as the "Sky Blues." That club was Coventry City. Not much seems to have changed - I just Googled "sky blues" and lo and behold, the first page of hits is all Coventry. 
Looks like CFG is stuck with "City blue."

I dont know why seeing as they wear Royal Blue but for some odd reason I have read in books that fans in the 70's and before sometimes called Rangers the Sky Blues... of course I could put on my Celtic Hat and make some negative comment about Gers fans but there is enough of that shit on the net.

Also the one Coventry Kit that always sticks my head due to its weirdness is the one that was least like a Coventry Kit being this one...

077ec59e60f3952ea89a7e5602f68586.jpg

Edited by cadete

3 hours ago, rass said:

It's funny that it took this long (plus some nice dealings between CFG and FFA ) for some bright spark to think of changing the name 'sky' to 'city' will be the justification needed to get the light blue colour change through.

Tbf the club have been calling it "City Blue" inhouse since the takeover. In our first year as a city a fan engagement officer told us our tifos needed "more City Blue" and someone very high up in the club couldn't get their head around why YSIDE would fold.

Edited by Jimmy

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Tbf the club have been calling it "City Blue" inhouse since the takeover. In our first year as a city a fan engagement officer told us our tifos needed "more City Blue" and someone very high up in the club couldn't get their head around why YSIDE would fold.

This is still more logical than those PPL who said they would never ever support the club if it changed its colours (Or in some cases even its name) ... then not understanding and criticing YSIDE for calling it quits due to seeing Melbourne City as a separate club to Melbourne Heart.

30 minutes ago, cadete said:

This is still more logical than those PPL who said they would never ever support the club if it changed its colours (Or in some cases even its name) ... then not understanding and criticing YSIDE for calling it quits due to seeing Melbourne City as a separate club to Melbourne Heart.

Looking back at this now 2 and a half years on. I don't think there can be any question whatsoever that yarraside made the correct call to stop at that point in time. End of an era.

Its always very interesting when these debates come up again and again in regards to colours. In or Out definitely puts people at two ends of the spectrum. But from my experiences I have seen a lot of people stay on but with significantly reduced support for the club.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

To which a certain sick cunt reminded them that our predominant colour was white. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2016 at 0:26 PM, jw1739 said:

Maybe I'm just different, but I've really only supported two clubs in my whole life - by "supported" I mean regularly attend matches and felt elated with a win and devastated by a defeat. The club of the town where I was born - and I still regularly follow their results and watch match videos etc. - and Melbourne City. That support will never be influenced by who actually owns these two clubs.

Me too J W i only have ever supported/watched on a regular basis two clubs, one as you put it where or near where i was born and Melbourne City so that will not change whatever colours they wear.