Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016. Rd 16 V Brisbane Strikers Wednesday 24 August 7:30pm

Dylan

9 minutes ago, Deluka said:

I thought they were getting rid of the manipulated draw this time around, that's a shame. 

Will be interesting to see who we get, would be nice to get one of the NPL Victorian teams.

This comp is a joke TBH in how the draw is doctored so there is a "Cinderella Tale Story" every Season... its just plain lame.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, loriente said:

I thought the top 4 A-League teams are guaranteed State teams in the first round? Is this not a thing anymore?

You could be forgiven. The change was not announced until 11th May 2016. Probably not material in this instance, but it's actually a change in the conditions governing a competition part-way through it - typical of FFA decision-making.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/draw-re-vamped-for-2016-westfield-ffa-cup/163y0sbdpq2ik1xt1hvcxdnj7k
I think that it's a change for the better - marginally so - except that the last four A-League teams remaining in the draw are forced to play away from home.
I agree with others who have said that the draw should be a random one.

9 hours ago, cadete said:

This comp is a joke TBH in how the draw is doctored so there is a "Cinderella Tale Story" every Season... its just plain lame.

I agreed with this when the competition started however if you look at the results from the past two years only one of the local teams has ever beaten an a-league team. For the most part a-league teams have smashed state league teams whenever they have played, the draw needs to be fixed otherwise if it was all random, you'd be lucky to have one or two state league teams still in the competition after the second round.

But this comes back to the whole problem with this competition, the gap between the professionals and state league is just so big. At least when they do the same competition in England the talent pool is much deeper, and the teams players for the most part are full time players. Compare that to the state league teams here, where most of the players are working full time jobs with soccer just being a hobby they participate in. How are these state teams ever going to be competitive against against the pro's if this is the case?

So then that begs the question: how should we treat this competition? Nothing more then a warm-up for the a-league season imo. The fact Melbourne Victory beat only one a-league team last season before qualifying for the FFA final is a joke. Getting a cup for beating a bunch of teams you know you are already better then means nothing, and even if they were to add say, a place in the acl as an incentive for the a-league teams to play 'serious' i don't see how that would effect the quality of the competition whatsoever. It's just so hard to see any a-league team getting beaten by these state sides.

At the end of the day, the best thing we can hope in this competition is that a few of the state league clubs get some national coverage which will lead to hopefully lead to a greater interest/participation rate for each state club respectively. Because outside of that i cannot see what the point of this competition is sorry.

The problem is there is too big a difference between a Professional Club and clubs that at best can be called Semi-Professional, for example if Essendon played any VFL/WAFL/SANFL side or even a combined State Side from all of these leagues they would still smash them.

Edited by cadete

7 hours ago, cadete said:

The problem is there is too big a difference between a Professional Club and clubs that at best can be called Semi-Professional, for example if Essendon played any VFL/WAFL/SANFL side or even a combined State Side from all of these leagues they would still smash them.

Not sure what the Afl comparison brings to the table, The afl has sought to weaken it's state league teams and its tiers below over a number of years making aussie rules only about The AFL brand and the AFL league. VFL/WAFL/SANFL are now just glorified reserves comps. That's before you get into the emphasis on physical qualities required in Aussie rules and understand why professionalism sports science etc, would make a big difference

Our own npl clubs would kick up a stink if the FFA tried to push them around 

2 hours ago, Chris p said:

Not sure what the Afl comparison brings to the table, The afl has sought to weaken it's state league teams and its tiers below over a number of years making aussie rules only about The AFL brand and the AFL league. VFL/WAFL/SANFL are now just glorified reserves comps. That's before you get into the emphasis on physical qualities required in Aussie rules and understand why professionalism sports science etc, would make a big difference

Our own npl clubs would kick up a stink if the FFA tried to push them around 

I'm talking purely about the difference between professional sides and Non Professional which the FFA Cup has shown to be similar to the difference between the AFL and the State Leagues.

And FWIW Port Melbourne and East Freo are nobodies reserves side.

3 hours ago, jeffplz said:

We'll smash em 8-0. 

Lol.

What are the odds that will be the end of the road for us?  Only 2 of the best free kicks you will ever see saved us against Edgeworth last year.  Worth remembering that they are in season and we aren't.  Flower People 1 - City 0

Our first competitive game, just 3 weeks away from next Tuesday.

It'll be very interesting to see the starting lineup. I really hope to see a strong and competitive side kickoff Melbourne City's 2016-17 football season, because the last time JVS sent a weakened side over to Western Australia in the FFA Cup things didn't go very well....

20 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Our first competitive game, just 3 weeks away from next Tuesday.

It'll be very interesting to see the starting lineup. I really hope to see a strong and competitive side kickoff Melbourne City's 2016-17 football season, because the last time JVS sent a weakened side over to Western Australia in the FFA Cup things didn't go very well....

JVS looking at it as a competitive game instead of a pre-season kick about would be a great start to the season!

• Like 3