Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016. Rd 16 V Brisbane Strikers Wednesday 24 August 7:30pm

Dylan

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

JVS looking at it as a competitive game instead of a pre-season kick about would be a great start to the season!

Don't hold your breathe.

His comments about it in the press at the time of the draw suggested his attitude has not changed.

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Our first competitive game, just 3 weeks away from next Tuesday.

It'll be very interesting to see the starting lineup. I really hope to see a strong and competitive side kickoff Melbourne City's 2016-17 football season, because the last time JVS sent a weakened side over to Western Australia in the FFA Cup things didn't go very well....

Well, with only 17 confirmed players in the senior squad we won't have a full squad to choose from. Of the allowed visa players we'll have only Bruno and Thomas (even if Brandan is coming he won't play), and we'll have no marquee player. I doubt whether we'll risk Gameiro, so I'd say it will be a match squad mainly of seniors but with a handful of NPL boys.
This round is really a couple of weeks too early.

So in less than 3 weeks away do we have enough fit senior players to fill a match day squad? 

Unless we announce  2 or 3 starting players this week they won't be ready. 

We actually could struggle against a match hardened team playing at home with nothing to lose.

Edited by Jovan

45 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So in less than 3 weeks away do we have enough fit senior players to fill a match day squad? 

Unless we announce  2 or 3 starting players this week they won't be ready. 

We actually could struggle against a match hardened team playing at home with nothing to lose.

We crept over Edgeworth last season only because of two Mooy free-kicks. The situation is the same for all A-League clubs really. I'm quite certain that this is one of the design factors of the Cup to make it more likely for a couple more non-league teams to progress to the last 16. Another couple of weeks pre-season before the round of 32 would benefit all the A-League teams, not just City.

11 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

We as a club cannot accept excuses anymore...
There are no excuses for loosing to an NPL game in a cup that we can do deep in and have a chance in winning our first silverware

I agree with you... but TBH this Cup has kind of lost more and more importance/relevance to me since it was first was announced.

The first being the stupid doctoring of the draw in order for a prerequisite a "Cinderella story" to emerge but more importantly I would take the whole thing a lot more seriously if the FFA would award the winner a ACL spot... I think then all A-League club's would really care about this Comp.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cadete said:

I agree with you... but TBH this Cup has kind of lost more and more importance/relevance to me since it was first was announced.

The first being the stupid doctoring of the draw in order for a prerequisite a "Cinderella story" to emerge but more importantly I would take the whole thing a lot more seriously if the FFA would award the winner a ACL spot... I think then all A-League club's would really care about this Comp.

Is it FFA or AFC that determines who qualifies for the ACL? Or is it both in consultation?

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is it FFA or AFC that determines who qualifies for the ACL? Or is it both in consultation?

I am not sure...

But this Cup gets called "Silverware" on this forum a bit and sometimes I kind find it not really fitting or being classed as "Silverware" a club can really boast about winning.

21 minutes ago, cadete said:

I am not sure...

But this Cup gets called "Silverware" on this forum a bit and sometimes I kind find it not really fitting or being classed as "Silverware" a club can really boast about winning.

If Wikipedia is correct it is the AFC that determines who qualifies.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If Wikipedia is correct it is the AFC that determines who qualifies.

Well more could still be done to make the FFA Cup Final look a bigger deal, obv it be taking it way too far for it to be played after the Season but perhaps having it as the only game in a Midseason break could help its prestige or the only match on a Public Holiday failing that...

At the moment it just does not feel like the club's view it as a major priority... which filters down to the fans.

Edited by cadete

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 June 2016 at 7:50 PM, Bannon said:

hoping rovers darwin make it far,
cant believe there aint no Melbourne celtic or rovers teams need this in my life.

some of the rovers Darwin lads were at my house last year, top blokes. My housemate came over with them from Ireland but couldn't handle the heat up north so moved to Melbourne. His now running Bacchus marsh soccer club hahaha 

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas Sorensen (gk), 2.Manny Muscat, 4.Connor Chapman, 6.Osama Malik, 11.Bruce Kamau, 12.Nick Fitzgerald, 17.Daniel Arzani, 18.Paulo Retre, 20.Dean Bouzanis (gk), 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22.Jack Clisby, 23.Bruno Fornaroli, 25.Jacob Melling, 26.Luke Brattan, 27.Fernando Brandan, 28.Steve Kuzmanovski, 29.Anthony Caceres, 30.Luke Gallo, 34.Denis Genreau, 35.Bradley Clarke, 36.Austin Wong, 37.Yusuf Ahmed 

36 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I thought 12 was the fans number. Now its Fitzgeralds.

Possibly a typo. Fizgtgerald wore 14 in the match aainst Port.

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

So no franjic in squad or the omissions despite them saying two omissions (I.e. Kilkenny and gamiero). 

What is going on? He's probably off to Adelaide 🙄

The omission of Gameiro doesn't surprise me one bit. Kilkenny's injury is only minor and he will resume full training immediately after the squad returns from Perth.
No idea on Franjic - that's why I asked the question above. So far turning out to be a very average signing.
The PR makes me laugh - saying how last season we didn't get players back from injury until December blah blah. That's because we signed already injured players, such as Zullo and Franjic, not because they sustained injuries whilst with us.

If it's any indicator of how serious we are taking the FFA Cup, the team has already arrived in Perth and has had a training session for tomorrow nights game. Or perhaps they shit themselves because of how close we came to going out against Edgworth last year. 

Edited by n i k o

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

If it's any indicator of how serious we are taking the FFA Cup, the team has already arrived in Perth and has had a training session for tomorrow nights game. Or perhaps they shit themselves because of how close we came to going out against Edgworth last year. 

JVS actually referred to it as "must win" too.

I can only think he got torn a new one over his attitude to the cup last year, particularly the semi, but also as you say the lucky win over Edgeworth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

That's a pleasant change. Should be a good win

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Last season they arrived the night before, plane was delayed nearly an hour because it nearly crashed on landing lolz. Was a good night, Belerine Heart lads were great and was good to have the 5 supporters there haha. 

16 hours ago, neio said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas Sorensen (gk), 2.Manny Muscat, 4.Connor Chapman, 6.Osama Malik, 11.Bruce Kamau, 12.Nick Fitzgerald, 17.Daniel Arzani, 18.Paulo Retre, 20.Dean Bouzanis (gk), 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22.Jack Clisby, 23.Bruno Fornaroli, 25.Jacob Melling, 26.Luke Brattan, 27.Fernando Brandan, 28.Steve Kuzmanovski, 29.Anthony Caceres, 30.Luke Gallo, 34.Denis Genreau, 35.Bradley Clarke, 36.Austin Wong, 37.Yusuf Ahmed 

At a guess ;

Sorensen

Muscat Chapman Malik Clisby

Brattan

Brandan.           Caceras

Kamau.        Fornaroli.     Fitzgerald

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'd say after the semi-final in Perth last year with the team that JVS put out that night he has been told to take the cup very seriously from now on tbh