Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that Cahill's arrival will have such a dramatic impact. Villa attracted the eurosnobs, they won't be interested in Cahill

Agree its a different market.  This will be an interesting test case on whether the casual football fan (socceroos supporter, but probably more interested in AFL) can be tempted into the A league.  To be honest i think it might have more hope than the Eurosnobs, who based on my german mate, just aren't interested in a lower standard league, regardless.

• Like 1

Am curious to know when the contract / signing will be announced given all the hype (I've always believed that when in doubt about something unusual (a.) you should follow the money trail and (b.) where there is smoke there is fire)

Particularly since I have it on authority that Cahill is still in China / has been "chillin" at the same 5 star hotel in Shanghai as the Man Utd team (who are there ATM for the International Champions Cup), joining the odd fitness and weighs sessions.

If Cahill has not re-signed in Hangzhou with all the money on offer, it seems like he is trying to avoid the hype that would come with signing in Oz.

After all, Cahill's arrival in most other / non Australian locations would mean the Man himself could still walk around a city without too much instant recognition - only in Oz and parts of the UK would people know who he is / actually give a fuck to say something.

8 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Am curious to know when the contract / signing will be announced given all the hype (I've always believed that when in doubt about something unusual (a.) you should follow the money trail and (b.) where there is smoke there is fire)

Particularly since I have it on authority that Cahill is still in China / has been "chillin" at the same 5 star hotel in Shanghai as the Man Utd team (who are there ATM for the International Champions Cup), joining the odd fitness and weighs sessions.

If Cahill has not re-signed in Hangzhou with all the money on offer, it seems like he is trying to avoid the hype that would come with signing in Oz.

After all, Cahill's arrival in most other / non Australian locations would mean the Man himself could still walk around a city without too much instant recognition - only in Oz and parts of the UK would people know who he is / actually give a fuck to say something.

The pattern for players joining City from overseas seems to be via CFA Manchester (e.g. Koren, Fornaroli and Kilkenny). I would have thought Cahill, if coming, would come the same way. The decision to join us is taken well before they actually arrive here.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

It would be Rediculous for the FFA to announce a player of ours. I reckon it's going to be something like a logo change With some marketing announcement for the upcoming season

It actually makes sense for the FFA and Melbourne City to hold a joint press conference to announce Cahill's appointment. After  all they did change the rules and AFAIK the FFA will also pay some money into his recruitment. Why Sydney? Well it maybe that TC is arriving to be there at the press conference and given that his family is from Sydney then that is where they will make the announcement followed by his relocation plan. I would have preferred Melbourne though.