Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

DICK

Cahill: My Millwall move wasn't about the World Cup

By John Davidson Feb 22 2018 8:35PM

Tim Cahill has bizarrely claimed that joining Millwall was not about getting regular playing time or securing his place in Australia's World Cup squad for Russia.

Cahill signed for the English Championship club late last month, after his departure from Melbourne City on December 6.

The striker was rarely used by coach Warren Joyce at City.

Cahill maintained the real reason he headed to Millwall was because he was after a harder challenge as a footballer.

“I don’t think it’s about playing. Hundred per cent it’s not,” the 38-year-old told Fox Sports.

“And yeah, everyone says oh, you gotta play, gotta play to get to the World Cup. Let’s just put the World Cup aside for a moment.

"This is about being in a professional environment that tests me every day. And hopefully, touching wood, no injuries.

“It’s the level of the league, the level and the calibre of players you’re playing against and it’s the test that you get twice a week preparing for teams, you know we’re back in there, studying players, videos, set plays, five a sides.

"If you have an opportunity to play at a higher level, then I feel any individual should try it.”

Cahill has played just four minutes off the bench for Lions since joining the club three weeks ago.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/cahill-my-millwall-move-wasnt-about-the-world-cup-485696

• Like 1

My feeling at the moment is how sad it is to see someone who has been an icon of our game for so long and who has achieved so much look as though he's going to exit football in such an undistinguished way. Much as I felt when I saw Tommy Sorensen exit the game sitting head bowed on the City bench.

Like TC or loathe him - such a shame to see what is happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

My feeling at the moment is how sad it is to see someone who has been an icon of our game for so long and who has achieved so much look as though he's going to exit football in such an undistinguished way. Much as I felt when I saw Tommy Sorensen exit the game sitting head bowed on the City bench.

Like TC or loathe him - such a shame to see what is happening.

Cahill deserves no such diplomacy from us when giving our opinions. Aside from his efforts when he pulls on the Socceroos jersey he always has been a flog and now more than ever. The utter dribble that has come from his mouth the last few months makes me dislike him even more. He's some quotes to show how full of shit he is...

"It’s one last shot at the title,” he said, speaking about the World Cup.

“The decision can’t be made two months before you get there and you think ‘I should have tried this’.

“My experience of playing 20 years in the game, it’s something I’ve assessed properly. It’s a calculation.

"Qualifying for the World Cup has been a great adventure, and it would be a massive honour to represent my country in Russia. That will be my focus in the coming months," he said in a statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/06/tim-cahill-leaves-melbourne-city-casting-doubt-over-world-cup-hopes

FLOG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

played 39 minutes in 7 appearances for Championship          

played 94 minutes in 6 appearances for A-League                                                                       

Related image

But but they train harder, and Millwall's (yes Milwall) facilities are better!

1 hour ago, haz said:

But but they train harder, and Millwall's (yes Milwall) facilities are better!

Can’t keep up with him, first it’s  game time now it’s quality facilities and harsher training + more competitive league ....to me sounds like he fked up and trying to find a way to back it up with some bs excuse 

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

That's cause he did fuck up massively. 

Cant believe the amount of shit talk though, he's known how to sell himself every step of his career until now. He's just taking pot shots hoping someone believes him enough to take him to Russia or play him in the Millwall line up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Cant believe the amount of shit talk though, he's known how to sell himself every step of his career until now. He's just taking pot shots hoping someone believes him enough to take him to Russia or play him in the Millwall line up. 

Tbh it sounds like he is trying to convince himself more than anything else.

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Can’t keep up with him, first it’s  game time now it’s quality facilities and harsher training + more competitive league ....to me sounds like he fked up and trying to find a way to back it up with some bs excuse 

All he needed to say was that Wazza is fucking up the team and he can't work with him and we would have almost all agreed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

All he needed to say was that Wazza is fucking up the team and he can't work with him and we would have almost all agreed

He didn't need to say anything publicly. All he needed to do was to ask City for a release. I'm not aware that we've ever refused anyone making such a request.

• Like 2