Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

Lol what an idiot. Could have easily stayed at the club until January and gotten at least a little playing time but instead fucks off early and spends the last couple of months focussing on his new-found passion of shirtless instagram stories in Byron Bay and now can't get a club. Enjoy the World Cup Timmy :up:

• Like 2

Latest is that Millwall is out, and either Hibs or Hearts in Scotland have been sounded out.

Article spit balls Harry Kewells Crawley Town could be an option.

What a Muppet.  Could easily have stayed with us. Funniest thing of all is the longer this goes on the less likely it is that he goes to Russia

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/16/exclusive-cahill-courts-hearts-and-hibernian-after-millwall-miss

Edited by mattyh001

My take is this is a bad outcome for both Cahill and City. 

I reckon Cahill put City in a difficult spot, but I don’t think they managed it very well (yeah I get it most people disagree with me). Every time we have a corner and it turns into nothing, I think what if Cahill was on the field?

The bottom line is it’s very easy to show someone the door, it’s a lot harder to manage things so that you get the best out of them. City took the easy way out.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I reckon Cahill put City in a difficult spot, but I don’t think they managed it very well (yeah I get it most people disagree with me). Every time we have a corner and it turns into nothing, I think what if Cahill was on the field?

The bottom line is it’s very easy to show someone the door, it’s a lot harder to manage things so that you get the best out of them. City took the easy way out.

Spot on. :lol:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Nobody knows how manageable or not the situation was, but if Cahill was behaving as badly internally as he was externally (using an interview immediately after the nation qualified for a world cup to throw his club under the bus for his own selfish ends) then I don't think the club really had any choice.

No player should be bigger than the club and it seems to me Cahill likely felt that he was, and in that case I'm glad the club turfed him and I'd expect that kind of result for anyone on the playing list in that situation. This whole unemployment period for him just makes the decision we made look even sounder IMO, he hasn't got the amount of suitors begging for his services that he clearly though he would, well done Tim.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

Nobody knows how manageable or not the situation was, but if Cahill was behaving as badly internally as he was externally (using an interview immediately after the nation qualified for a world cup to throw his club under the bus for his own selfish ends) then I don't think the club really had any choice.

No player should be bigger than the club and it seems to me Cahill likely felt that he was, and in that case I'm glad the club turfed him and I'd expect that kind of result for anyone on the playing list in that situation. This whole unemployment period for him just makes the decision we made look even sounder IMO, he hasn't got the amount of suitors begging for his services that he clearly though he would, well done Tim.

Pretty much.

I appreciate he thought he was best served by leaving the club in order to get a ticket to Russia, and dont have any problem with him aspiring to that, but to throw the club under the bus on national tv was a horrible way of going about it. His then subsequent refusal to extinguish the fire he started in the days following basically meant the club had been backed into a corner, at least as far as getting compensation goes anyway.

Ultimately dont really think we've missed him, other than perhaps the derby and Sydney game where we played without Ross for extended periods.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Pretty much.

I appreciate he thought he was best served by leaving the club in order to get a ticket to Russia, and dont have any problem with him aspiring to that, but to throw the club under the bus on national tv was a horrible way of going about it. His then subsequent refusal to extinguish the fire he started in the days following basically meant the club had been backed into a corner, at least as far as getting compensation goes anyway.

Ultimately dont really think we've missed him, other than perhaps the derby and Sydney game where we played without Ross for extended periods.

Agree with this. But another factor could have been the Joyce factor. He doesn't seem like a very accommodating manager. If the situation doesn't suit him he doesn't seem like the type to want to indulge in negotiations or trying to find workable solutions. Now I could be completely wrong but it's just my impression. 

Now in management you can't go around treating all players the same and at times exceptions need to made.

I suggested at the outset of this that he would be lucky to find a berth higher than English League 1, certainly if he plans to play regularly.  And his pay at that level will be a huge shock. To put it in perspective, Ross is, bluntly, an English Championship reject. That's very harsh, and I think the guy has probably been hard done by, but nevertheless, having been in that position, he is now top scorer in the A League (discounting Bobo three goals as he should have been banned when he scored them). If Cahill expects to be hot property in the English Championship or the Scottish Premier, he has to be demonstrably better than Ross. And he clearly isn't. He just has a bigger ego. Right now, if Ross McCormack qualified for the Roos, he'd be in the squad way before Tim.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

An old teacher of mine once told me that you should  'Make sure mind is in gear before putting mouth in motion'.Here endeth the lesson re Mr Tim Cahil.

And this is the best lesson young players like Arzani can take from Dr. Timmy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

Didn't Hibernian just sign Jamie maclaren on loan?

Yes.

Cahill was just plain stupid to do what he did. He was supposed to be the A-League's pin-up boy. It's probably rather sad that absolutely no-one in FFA or the A-League has come to his rescue since his departure from City. That tells me just how far he has fallen out of favour.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Looks as though he's gone over to Millwall to sign a deal with them.

TTDIM: That the team has moved on and is looking better than we ever did with Cahill in the side. Good riddance flog. 

Won us our only piece of silverware.

We're an ungrateful bunch on here sometimes...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Signed for Millwall. Good luck to him, hope he gets the minutes he needed and he get picked for the Socceroos. He always tried for us and was a decent contributor last season my only gripe was his behavior and the way he left this season. 

I'm afraid the latter largely clouds my recollection of what went before at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Signed for Millwall. Good luck to him, hope he gets the minutes he needed and he get picked for the Socceroos. He always tried for us and was a decent contributor last season my only gripe was his behavior and the way he left this season. 

Signed until the end of the current season only.

Just listened to his Millwall interview (link below)

Loved this part;

"Its not really about, you know, playing as many games as I can, its about making sure that I can contribute,  Whether its coming off the bench, whether its earning my place in the team and then making that impact, you know, if its gonna be 15 minutes, then its gonna be the best 15 minutes I can give..."

So other than the Championship dovetailing slightly better into the WC than the A-League, he has changed his tune from saying;

"This year my goal was to play 70 per cent of games," 

"When you know you can't reach that and there's only 18 games left, when you know that time's ticking, when you know that six weeks leading into a World Cup that there's an off period, when you know if you have all these things... at 38 years old, you've got to count your games.

"Every single time I got put on, I made a difference. Yeah, it breaks your heart sitting on the bench. But no player should demand to start.

"I didn't fit, and that's fine. You've got to accept it, and you move on."

"As you get older you look at your career," 

"You say, 'OK, you're going to be 38 in December, you've possibly only got 30 to 50 games left in your career, internationally and domestically. How are you going to manage this [so] you can get to another World Cup?'

"You could see early on in the season, we played FFA Cup, there's no striker, and I travel with the national team and come back and I sit on the bench... for me it's about moving on and moving quickly and dealing with it."

• Like 2

Precisely, all goody goody until he gets dumped on the bench for five or six games. it really grates that he was getting games here with us but he was not satisfied and opened his big gob. Remember this was back in November and as a result he has not played a minute since so i cannot for the life of me see his new coach starting him straight away which will not go down well with Timmy, hard luck big mouth you brought it all on yourself. With the new socceroos coach he may not even get selected and that would end his career.

Edited by johnno cpfc
Additional text.

SHOCK NEWS! Cahill still an absolute flog:

https://yhoo.it/2nqctQg

Cahill fires parting shot at 'comfortable' A-League

It took Tim Cahill one training session with Millwall to realise he had made the right decision to quit the A-League in a bid to keep alive his World Cup dream.

The 38-year-old, who this week signed a short-term deal with the Championship club where he began his career, hasn't kicked a ball competitively since securing a release from Melbourne City in December.

Cahill left City after falling out with coach Warren Joyce and, in a veiled dig at his former boss, said he already feels he is in a more professional environment under the leadership of former teammate Neil Harris.

"I knew I needed to go straight away," Cahill said.

"When you watch a Championship team train, the intensity is so high especially at Millwall.

"When you train in Australia, yeah, it's hard but it was comfortable and I needed more from it.

"Any Australian player who is playing A-League would jump at the chance of playing in the Championship.

"The A-League is not the Championship, that's not being disrespectful, it's just being honest. You're going through the motions. That's the mentality I have.

"The opportunity to be here was very hard to turn down. Some people might think 'what's he doing?' but I've never taken the easy road."

After leaving City, Cahill trained on his own in Byron Bay where he was monitored by the Socceroos' conditioning team, overseen by team doctor Craig Duncan.

He also spent a week using Sydney FC's facilities to keep fit and turned down offers from the Middle East to try and pick up a contract in England.

Australia's all-time leading scorer has already been sending data back to home after his four training sessions and said it feels like he's never been away from the club he last played for in the 2004 FA Cup final.

"I've only been with the lads for four days but there is a great chemistry and it is all enthused by the way the gaffer treats them," he said.

"The project now is 'how I can give something back to the club that made me?'

"The place hasn't changed much. The staff who work here are all fans, they are part of the mould.

"Very few clubs have it. But it's the same at Everton. I have both of these clubs tattooed on my arm for a reason - they are part of my life and they have given me what I've created."

Cahill will become only the fourth player to score at four successive World Cups if he finds the net in Russia later this year and that desire to be the best still burns brightly.

"I've always been realistic in my career. I just want to be as competitive as possible," he said.

"I was with the conditioning staff for Australia who gave me everything I needed to stay fit.

"I sat down with them and said 'I am gunning for the Championship'.

"It's a difficult league and everything thinks 'why's he doing it?'. I am not scared of failing but I just want to play as high as I possibly can.

"This team is the third in the league for creating chances. Don't think I haven't done my homework on how much they cross the ball.

"It's exciting. I only want to be in the final third and around the 18-yard box and be a nuisance."

• Haha 1