Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

Seems a bit of a beat up at the end of a very emotionally draining 2 legged qualifier.  The guy bleeds green and gold, is purely reacting in the moment.

Also think about it in terms of the A League season so far; Cahill missed rounds 1 & 6 (Brisbane and West Sydney respectfully) directly through international call ups.

Round 2 (against the tards) Cahill was off the back of 120 minutes midweek against Syria - little chance of realistically playing at his age.  Yet still featured late

So that gives 4 opportunities into a team that actually won back to back games when starting the season.

Of which he's had a start and came off the bench three times (that is to say he's seen game time for all "available" games) in an individually disrupted start to the season.

Beat up, nothing to see here so move on 

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

Timmy is primarily interested in playing and scoring on the 4th World Cup.

We shouldn't have needed literally central striker as injury replacement.  We should have signed a wide striker. If you pregame warm-up, you can see that Timmy has better goal scoring abilities. Starting place is given to young and promising Ross.  Timmy wouldn't score from free kicks but he would convert penalties and that header in the last game.

Timmy is likely to score again on the world stage but deemed barely good enough for the club bench. 

Tim Cahill warns he will leave Melbourne City in bid for World Cup

Emma Kemp
53 reading now
Tim Cahill has cast doubt over his future with Melbourne City, suggesting he will walk if he can't get regular A-League football in the lead-up to next year's World Cup.

The Socceroos talisman, who turns 38 next month, overcame an ankle problem in time to run out nearly 70 minutes of Wednesday's 3-1 win over Honduras, a result that sends Australia - and Cahill - to a fourth straight showpiece.

Cahill has been used only frugally off the bench under Warren Joyce this season, his first start against Sydney FC interrupted by the injury that has had the country on tenterhooks throughout the final two-legged play-off.

"For me now, I've got to make some big decisions on the level of where I'm playing at and what I'm going to do," Cahill told Fox Sports after Australia's triumph.

"We'll just enjoy this for now, but I need game time. I knew this was going to happen, it was only a matter of time. I'm excited for the future.

"I would have done anything to be part of this group and I'm going to do anything to stay a part of it."

Pressed further on whether he would look elsewhere in the absence of game time for City, Cahill was coy but dropped heavy hints.

"It's something that I'll make sure that either way for me I'm always going to play. If I don't, I'll find a way to play," Cahill said.

"For me to have the chance of being involved in four World Cups needs a bit of thought processing.

"I need to play and I need to stay fit. I feel great even though I've got an ankle injury and that's something I'll look at in the next few weeks.

"To get to a World Cup you need to be playing at the highest level.

"My job was qualifying for the World Cup. My next job now is testing myself to see how competitive I can be if I want to get to another World Cup."

Brisbane Roar coach and former Socceroos striker John Aloisi said believed Cahill would walk away from City if he isn't given more minutes.

"He virtually said if he doesn't get game time he's off, he's away from Melbourne City," Aloisi said.

"Because he wants to go to the World Cup and he knows he needs to play regular football to get there.

"I was surprised, because there must be something behind it for him to make that comment."

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/tim-cahill-warns-he-will-leave-melbourne-city-in-bid-for-world-cup-20171115-gzmber.html

Cahill's powerplay caught Joyce by surprise, with the coach saying he planned to talk to his club captain as soon as possible.

"I'm not trying to duck it but I watched the game and went to bed and I've not actually heard it from Tim himself," Joyce said on Thursday morning.

Joyce pointed out that the club had helped him manage his body through the demands of the A-League and the Socceroos.

"I think Australia is one of the few countries, if not the only country who doesn't have any international break during the period. It doesn't help either party," he said.

"I had a plan for Timmy in incorporating what I saw he would play a part in Melbourne City and how I thought we could help him get to the World Cup."

Joyce said that City could take some credit for Cahill being able to play 120 minutes in Australia's match against Syria.

"The fact we've managed to get him to play 120 minutes in one game without playing full games for us, because we knew he couldn't start the games for us. is a credit to the medical staff and the sport science staff here," he said.

"He's fit enough to in spite of not starting a game and that's helped Timmy and Australia as well."

Cahill has a playing deal at City that expires at the end of the season but also includes a year coaching next season which would be derailed if he left.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/11/16/03/37/cahill-hints-at-city-exit-before-world-cup

8 minutes ago, Nate said:

I highly doubt he's going to leave, the CFA facilities, staff and professional setup are too good for him to give up, especially if he wants to be starting every week.

Also don't forget the $$$

He'd prob have to pay us back a certain amount for us to let him go imo given how heavy we front ended him. Either way, doubt he'll move. He'll be getting enough game time with us to keep him satisfied.
FWIW i wouldnt be opposed to trying playing him as striker and Bruno as an attacking 10 when he returns

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Tim Cahill warns he will leave Melbourne City in bid for World Cup

Emma Kemp
53 reading now

Brisbane Roar coach and former Socceroos striker John Aloisi said believed Cahill would walk away from City if he isn't given more minutes.

"He virtually said if he doesn't get game time he's off, he's away from Melbourne City," Aloisi said.

"Because he wants to go to the World Cup and he knows he needs to play regular football to get there.

"I was surprised, because there must be something behind it for him ..

Blah, blah, blah..

...how coincidental Aloisi has chimed in with a potentially team destabilizing remark the day before we're playing his team. 

Seriously, why would you even add that into the article. Very poor sensationalism.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Blah, blah, blah..

...how coincidental Aloisi has chimed in with a potentially team destabilizing remark the day before we're playing his team. 

Seriously, why would you even add that into the article. Very poor sensationalism.

If he's fit for tomorrow it would be poetic for him to put one or two past Aloisi's mob.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, rass said:

Blah, blah, blah..

Isn't that what coaches do if they have the chance? Joyce was still fielding questions about Cahill in his post-match presser.

Cahill's post-Honduras remarks were unfortunate, and it was inevitable that the press would speculate on the meaning of what he said - and didn't say. It may all be a storm in a teacup, and let's hope it is, but City need to deal with it decisively and quickly.

• Like 1

Not too impressed with Tims comments, especially off the back of that loss last night. I don't know if his comments were made due to being on the back of an emotional finish to the game but I'd hope he feels bad for putting himself before the team and club. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Now I don't dislike Tim cahill but I'm also not a lover (except when he wears green and gold) but this is becoming a circus, and to be honest it has been for the past 18 months, in the 7 games we have played. He has been unavailable 3 times, played 120 midweek once, started once and twice was on bench because we didn't change a winning team.

It's hardly our fault that he hasn't played as much as he wants, it's also not our responsibility to get him ready for socceroos. Everyone knows he will get regular minutes coming up, as there is no socceroos games for 4 months

If he doesn't like it, then go back to Asia and risk not getting picked at all 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, neio said:

Now I don't dislike Tim cahill but I'm also not a lover (except when he wears green and gold) but this is becoming a circus, and to be honest it has been for the past 18 months, in the 7 games we have played. He has been unavailable 3 times, played 120 midweek once, started once and twice was on bench because we didn't change a winning team.

It's hardly our fault that he hasn't played as much as he wants, it's also not our responsibility to get him ready for socceroos. Everyone knows he will get regular minutes coming up, as there is no socceroos games for 4 months

If he doesn't like it, then go back to Asia and risk not getting picked at all 

He also took an extended holiday after the Confederations Cup and had little of the pre-season that most of the other players did.

What ever the intricacies of it all, it needs to be resolved decisively, quickly and with finality for the benefit of all parties. No player is bigger than the club.

• Like 2

I'm not at all suprised that Cahill and Joyce are apparently clashing. Those two personalities were never going to gel well. Wazza is no nonsense and hard nosed, whereas Tim is an arrogant flog who speaks like a B-grade motivational speaker. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

Lynchy pretty much nails it.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/tim-cahill-might-be-desperate-to-play-but-melbourne-city-should-not-give-any-guarantees-20171119-gzoc5j.html

Tim Cahill might be desperate to play, but Melbourne City should not give any guarantees

Michael Lynch

Australian soccer fans hoped it would be a marriage made in heaven – a Socceroos legend playing on home soil in the A-League.

But now they fear it could be a divorce made in hell if Tim Cahill looks to leave Melbourne City in the January transfer window to give himself more chance of first team game time.

It's a battle Cahill is unlikely to win – but it may not come to that if common sense prevails.

Cahill is understood to have spoken to City boss Warren Joyce following his dramatic outburst after the Socceroos' World Cup win on Wednesday night, in which he suggested he might want to quit the Melbourne club in search of more game time to help him be in tip-top shape for the tournament in Russia.

But if the striker can force his way back into the starting line-up, play well and help drive City towards the A-League grand final he should have no worries about his form or fitness leading into the World Cup.

Should they make the title decider, or even the penultimate week of the season, City would be playing right into late April/early May, which is the time that Ange Postecoglou (or whoever may be Socceroos coach) will be calling his players into pre-World Cup camp.

Surely Cahill with all his talent, experience and ability would back himself to be a major part of any City charge to the play offs and potential title glory?

If he can't, then the question would have to be asked: if he isn't good enough to warrant a start in the A-League, how can he be expected to be a front line forward for his country at such a big tournament as the World Cup?

Cahill is not one to shirk a challenge, as his career, particularly those early years when against the odds he carved a footballing life out for himself at Millwall, shows.

And he has not become the iconic figure he has – the greatest Socceroo, a hero at Goodison for his wholehearted performances and goalscoring feats for Everton – without being a supreme professional.

He looks after his body, he keeps himself in top shape and he has done everything he can to wring the last gram of potential from his person.

But being such a good professional, he must surely recognise that in any facet of the game there can be no guarantees.

A coach might like a player, he might think his skills are great. But he cannot give him an assurance that he will in all likelihood start matches. He cannot, in fact, give him any assurances about game time of any kind. That is simply how the sport works.

A coach needs to be able to tailor his team's tactical requirements to the job at hand. He must have the freedom to pick the sort of players he wants and needs for a particular job, a particular game or in the overall context of the club's requirements. Joyce is entitled that basic professional courtesy.

That is not to say Cahill's fears aren't understandable.

He is on the cusp of something truly extraordinary. Only a few times in the history of the game – through the exploits of Pele and the Germans Uwe Seeler and Miroslav Klose – have players appeared, and scored, in four World Cups. That is the prize within Cahill's grasp right now, so no wonder he is desperate to give himself every chance to attain it.

But surely his best chance of doing that is knuckling down, working hard and doing his best for his current team. He will get opportunities, and it's then up to him to take them.

While Cahill is enormously popular with fans he is a Melbourne City/City Football Group employee, and the club is under no obligation to help him or Australia's World Cup plans, although the PR benefits are obvious.

But it is hard to see how it would be anything but ruinous for club discipline and teamwork, not to mention Joyce's authority, were Cahill to come out on top and force them to pick him in the starting XI each week. The club would be said to have buckled when a gun was held to its head.

If the relationship did end in acrimony, Cahill's options would be limited.

He could try to join another A-League side, but would they give him guarantees of game time?

He could look to negotiate his way out of his three year deal - the last of which, next season, was scheduled to launch him on a coaching career – and try to find another club overseas.

But no big teams will be interested in him, and would he want to go to the Middle East, China or somewhere else in South East Asia for barely a few months?

Relationship counselling is not always the answer to emotional problems, but in this case, especially for the Socceroos, it is to be hoped that Cahill realises the situation and City welcome him back into the fold.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how accurate this story is but if true it doesn't do Cahill any favours. 

As far as I remember he signed a 3 year deal with us. 1st year was big dollars and subsidised by the FFA and being multi million dollar this second year was in the cap (a few hundred K) and the third some coaching role. 

So if Tim is unhappy and wants to leave he is basically walking away from CFG and in the hope of gaining regular game time (the cynic in me suggests more cash) in the hope of playing in a world cup.

I'm not sure where in the world he could get game time at a decent level and secondly who knows what the new Socceroos coach will judge by this.

It just seems like a poorly thought out move. Now all of this might be bullshit and Tim is committed to City and will fulfill his obligations and create something here and have a great world cup but if there are this many stories some of it must be close to be true.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

It just seems like a poorly thought out move. Now all of this might be bullshit and Tim is committed to City and will fulfill his obligations and create something here and have a great world cup but if there are this many stories some of it must be close to be true.

If it were not true, TC should have already said so. He hasn't. The pressure is all on Joyce. We don't need that, and it could wreck our season. The situation needs to be fixed immediately.

FFS, we needed a season without this sort of controversy. I hope we never sign another prima-donna player again.

• Like 3

Lets say it turns out he wants to go to Brisbane, then I wouldn't be surprised if he and Aloisi conspired together to get the message public post WC qualifier.  Thinking back, its like JA was ready for Timmy's answer.

Also, since the WC game, TC has been predominantly posting messages and images about the WC ... he has definitely changed focus.  Joyce has also been frosty about their relationship.  It will be hard for this to recover for both parties 

Genuine flog tbh.

Takes our front-loaded big marquee money in 16/17 and now wants to leave in the 2nd year of his contract at ~$400k.

We're under no obligation to release him and he can't transfer to any A-League clubs anyway. He can train on his own for the next 6 months for all I care. Let's see how that goes for his Socceroos hopes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not sure how much of this Cahill stuff i believe and how much is hyperbole, but it's certainly an unwanted distraction.

At the end of the day, and i say this as one as one of Timmy’s greatest fans (hell he was the reason I started following Everton back in the mid 2000’s and he’s a legend of the Roos setup), but if he is going to try to go down this path of blackballing the club, I hope we tell him in no uncertain terms that he’ll be staying here and seeing out this season unless a transfer fee of a fair significance is met. Letting him take the money and run after last years front ended contract is an absolute no-no for me, and if no one is going to meet our required figure then he stays. If he wants to play up and cause issues because of that, he can sit on the sidelines and rot. It’s a problem solely of his own creation.

Agree completely.