Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Probably going to be an unpopular view...but IMO playing Fornaroli and Cahill in the same team isn't working. Apart from his goal TC contributed nothing last night.

Contributed nothing? Don't agree.  He is great at being an ambassador for FFA, being friends with everyone and being the self appointed diplomat/peacemaker.  As far as the football is concerned though, I agree - he has contributed little for the season to date.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Probably going to be an unpopular view...but IMO playing Fornaroli and Cahill in the same team isn't working. Apart from his goal TC contributed nothing last night.

Cahill has done very little all season apart from couple of goals. 

In my player of season voting which comes from each week MOTM votes,  cahill is the only regular starter that doesn't have a vote yet.  I think that tells a fair bit

Tim Cahill Facing FFA Phone Fine

May have broken anti-corruption laws

Just Now 
Tim Cahill Facing FFA Phone Fine

Melbourne City megastar Tim Cahill may have run afoul of the Football Federation Australia’s strict anti-corruption protocols when he admitted to using his mobile phone during a match, Fairfax Media has reported.

The FFA confirmed they will launch an investigation into Cahill’s conduct after he said he was sending texts to his family during City’s 1-1 draw with Sydney FC last weekend.

Cahill was speaking to Fox Sports on Friday night about opposition fans booing him, and said that he had used his phone at half time.

"I think the hardest thing for me against Sydney FC, sitting on the bench for 80 minutes, was when your kids are sitting behind you and your nephew and niece," Cahill said. 

"I think that hit me harder personally because it was verbal abuse and direct. I went into half-time and texted my missus telling her to go home because I had a four-year-old sitting in the crowd."

If Cahill’s anecdote is true, it could be considered a breach of the strict ban on use of communication devices between entry to the stadium until after games finish.

The FFA confirmed they will investigate the claims and can levy a fine up to $500.
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/horse-racing/news/tim-cahill-facing-ffa-phone-fine/

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

I think that's a bit extreme. 

This team of players is easily capable of winning silverware in this league and should be in a position to do so. If we had even a half decent manager in charge we'd look significantly better than we do now. The issue isn't Cahill, it's JVS.

Possibly so. Sorry.  I'm just so pissed off with the prospect of another league season wasted, another opportunity to go into the ACL wasted, that I'm losing faith in everyone.

• Like 3

Based on our squad, as others have pointed, a simple 4-4-2 would easily be our best formation.

Timmy and Bruno up front.

Branda, Brattan, Kilkenny and Fitzy or Kamu across the middle

A back 4 of Colazo, Tongyik, Jacobsen and Franjik, with the full backs bombing forward

On paper, this squad in this formation is the strongest in the league and would be capable of beating any other team.

The CFG formation just doesnt work at the moment based on getting our best players on the park

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Possibly so. Sorry.  I'm just so pissed off with the prospect of another league season wasted, another opportunity to go into the ACL wasted, that I'm losing faith in everyone.

Haha no stress, I can assure you that I'm feeling it too.

I personally feel we're simply killing time until JVS gets the boot, he's incapable of getting this team where it needs to be over a 27 game season and beyond. Thank goodness the Cup Final came nice and early before his tactics were found out again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

For all of the negative talk about him at times on here, three goals in his last three games is pretty impressive

Credit to him, he's stepping up and contributing during a time where the vast majority of the squad has been underwhelming.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2016 at 10:22 AM, Hellenic Hero said:

I tell you what, for the big bucks we are paying for Timmy I'm getting frustrated with how:
1: Bruno is clearly playing 2nd fiddle to him.
2:Yeah, he's scored a few goals, but he goes missing for 70-80 mins of most of the matches he plays in, whereas Bruno impacts almost every game.

Lol...

Continually scores our first goal and won us our only ever silverware. 

Has justified every cent spent on him and more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, strider said:

Better than Bruno "penalty miss" Fornaroli 

Suggest you look at our table of goalscorers table.

He had the balls to stand up and take a 90th-minute penalty last night. That's a good leader and role model for you. Backed himself when plenty of other players would not have had the courage to do so after missing twice four days earlier.

• Like 5

On 01/01/2017 at 10:14 PM, jw1739 said:

Suggest you look at our table of goalscorers table.

He had the balls to stand up and take a 90th-minute penalty last night. That's a good leader and role model for you. Backed himself when plenty of other players would not have had the courage to do so after missing twice four days earlier.

Credit were credit was due. I was one of his biggest critics last week, from what I saw he played well, stepped up the plate when it mattered and slotted a penalty. Well done

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

In all honesty, he is scoring so much now that you can justify him doing nothing for the rest of the time he is on the pitch (which is exactly what happens).

He's always been a bit of a 'moments' player, at least at club level anyway.

Drifts in and out of games but reliably pops up and scores crucial goals on a pretty regular basis. He doesn't do a hell of a lot else admittedly, but at least he 'puts himself about' when we don't have the ball, shows a fair bit more cunt than I expected him to when we signed him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Embee said:

He's always been a bit of a 'moments' player, at least at club level anyway.

Drifts in and out of games but reliably pops up and scores crucial goals on a pretty regular basis. He doesn't do a hell of a lot else admittedly, but at least he 'puts himself about' when we don't have the ball, shows a fair bit more cunt than I expected him to when we signed him.

A friend is from Liverpool and an avid Everton man. And he said exactly the same thing about Cahill - he certainly would not have liked to play against him and he still marvels at how few red cards he copped.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...