Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well if you want a starting IX player whom is effectively a passenger unless we get a pen or a free kick relatively close to goal... Anyway, agree with the Fornaroli part. Tuna defiantly seems like he can play that second striker/ 10 and be effective. 

Thats of course if he stays

He's probably a passenger to a degree atm, but imo that's due to the players around him. I dont think Kamau or Fitzy suit his style and tbh i see Ross himself as more of a second striker rather than a target man. If we had the chance to play him off of Bruno i think we'd see him involved a hell of a lot more. So far he has barely been able to have a shot outside a deadball, although his first touch fuckups on numerous occasions, particularly against WSW are noted, i have seen enough little tricks further up the pitch to be hopeful of that.

Let's just all remember why TC has left. It's got nothing to do with what he did or didn't do for us as a player and/or marketing tool or the same for the League as a whole. We didn't make him club captain for this season to piss him off at the earliest opportunity.

He chose to very publicly make remarks about his (lack of) playing time with Melbourne City, in effect criticising both City and City Football Group. If he actually wanted to stay with us he ought to have realised that this is something you just do not do.

He was gone the moment he said what he did after we qualified for the finals in Russia.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Let's just all remember why TC has left. It's got nothing to do with what he did or didn't do for us as a player and/or marketing tool or the same for the League as a whole. We didn't make him club captain for this season to piss him off at the earliest opportunity.

He chose to very publicly make remarks about his (lack of) playing time with Melbourne City, in effect criticising both City and City Football Group. If he actually wanted to stay with us he ought to have realised that this is something you just do not do.

He was gone the moment he said what he did after we qualified for the finals in Russia.

Certainly speaks volumes for the man...........

8 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Ahhh, I get ya. Probably not. But from his end, he has sacrificed a coaching contract. And that could've led to several years within CFG as a coach, even if he was a shit coach, given how CFG love shit coaches.

He'll quite easily pick up a coaching contract regardless, not the biggest sacrifice IMO.

13 minutes ago, Embee said:

He'll quite easily pick up a coaching contract regardless, not the biggest sacrifice IMO.

No really sure about that. I think the days have gone when first time coaches get a job based on an illustrious career although not all owners/boards make good judgment calls and who knows he might snag a decent gig on his reputation. 

I personally think it's a bit short sighted on his behalf as moving up the ranks within CFG as a coach is great opportunity in its own right. 

No one really knows apart from probably Cahill and Marwood the true reason for departure and maybe there wasn't really a position that appealed to Cahill in year 3 of his contract. 

What is clear CFG and now Joyce have a clear idea on what they want from Melbourne and it's players and it's clear who holds all the cards.

From a personal point of view it's a shame Tim walked now but he definitely didn't fail and walks away with having positively contributed. 

I hope he doesn't line up for another A League club but with the wording "mutually agree" it's pretty much a given.

Probably one of the Sydney teams most likely Wanderers. 

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

No really sure about that. I think the days have gone when first time coaches get a job based on an illustrious career although not all owners/boards make good judgment calls and who knows he might snag a decent gig on his reputation. 

I personally think it's a bit short sighted on his behalf as moving up the ranks within CFG as a coach is great opportunity in its own right. 

No one really knows apart from probably Cahill and Marwood the true reason for departure and maybe there wasn't really a position that appealed to Cahill in year 3 of his contract. 

What is clear CFG and now Joyce have a clear idea on what they want from Melbourne and it's players and it's clear who holds all the cards.

From a personal point of view it's a shame Tim walked now but he definitely didn't fail and walks away with having positively contributed. 

I hope he doesn't line up for another A League club but with the wording "mutually agree" it's pretty much a given.

Probably one of the Sydney teams most likely Wanderers. 

I don't mean he'll just walk into a head coaching gig, if Tim Cahill has his coaching badges he's going to get some kind of position within a club at a decent level (see Kewell), whether he can then move his way up to a head coaching role is on him, as it would've been if he stayed within CFG. But I don't think turning down that coaching opportunity with us is going to be too much of an issue for him long term.

Good outcome for both parties. Been a fan of this guy since Milwall in FA Cup I think. Hope he will make it to Russia. Playing 3 matches there will be not that hard for his age.

We have time to get a new player in January.

Will not boo him just on appearance even he joins Tards. Still a legend.

Hopefully we will not get a new striker. Ross to stay with good competition from youngsters. Looking forward to see Bruno and Ross playing together. Ross is much better in his movements in the last third than Timmi so they will complement each other.

1 minute ago, Embee said:

I don't mean he'll just walk into a head coaching gig, if Tim Cahill has his coaching badges he's going to get some kind of position within a club at a decent level (see Kewell), whether he can then move his way up to a head coaching role is on him, as it would've been if he stayed within CFG. But I don't think turning down that coaching opportunity with us is going to be too much of an issue for him long term.

I kind of get your point and I was thinking exactly of Kewell as comparable example but coaching at League 2 isn't really a decent level. And being sacked as u23 coach and then taking a team to relegation wouldn't really help him getting a 3rd gig (unless he comes back to the A League) but my point was that Cahill could have easily taken the Viera path as opposed to the Kewell path.

But ultimately his coaching will depend on him and his ability. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, japiedog said:

Tim "it's not about me" Cahill

my thoughts on Timmy

Self centered player, but you don't get to where he got by being a nice guy

Did some good things for us last year, pretty much the top scorer if you take Bruno's penalties out  of the equation

BUT, by us taking him as the face of the A League, it hamstrung our own game

the whole how do we fit Bruno and Tim into the team was a disaster, Bruno, due to a few reasons was a shadow of his former self, the fact that Timmy had to play, put us one midfielder down, and invariably it was a creative # 10 that was missing, therefore Bruno had no supply compared to his first season.

What did he bring as the face of the A League? a big wage and promotion , did it send attendances sky rocketing ? NO

It really didn't help boost our attendances

what will I remember most ?

sure he scored some important goals

BUT my main memory is how he hijacked a celebration of Australia qualifying for the World Cup to push his own agenda and blame the club that has paid him his inflated wages 

This. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

Looks like Wazza did flop it out and show Tim who was bigger.

If he does go to another a league club and start games watch him score regularly though.  If we doesn't start watch him have a sook at that club too

Maybe pair up with the other guy at Roar that's old enough to be my dad?

• Like 1

Not really surprised by this. Been played out of position more or less his whole time here. No longer a midfielder, clearly needed to play up top. Scored some key goals when on the park, shot himself in the foot with an interview off it. Seems to make sense though and looks like the money is more or less there for Ross now who could really go either way and rip the league apart or he could end up back on the piss with the boys.

Looking at it from Timmy's perspective. Plays Confederations Cup in the off-season, played 60 minutes against a very good Chile side as a central midfielder and was integral to the score being 1-0 in our favour when he was subbed off. Covered plenty of ground, made a lot of challenges and led by example in closing the Chileans down in the middle of the park.

He returns to pre-season at Melbourne City a few weeks later after a deserved rest like all the players who played Confeds Cup. I highly doubt he'd need long to get back into match shape due to his conditioning as he's probably the fittest player in the squad. Yet Joyce only sees him as a bit part player off the bench to relieve McCormack and prefers players like Malik, Mauk and Jakobsen in the middle of the park. 

If I went from playing exceptionally well against Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal and co to sitting on the pine while Osama Malik and Stefan Mauk strutted their stuff in midfield and the only  goalscoring threat our striker posed came from set pieces and penalties I'd feel like the coach doesn't have faith in my abilities. In a World Cup year I wouldn't be sitting on the pine and giving the NT coach a reason not to take me on the plane to Russia after being a key reason to why we qualified in the 1st place.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Looking at it from Timmy's perspective. Plays Confederations Cup in the off-season, played 60 minutes against a very good Chile side as a central midfielder and was integral to the score being 1-0 in our favour when he was subbed off. Covered plenty of ground, made a lot of challenges and led by example in closing the Chileans down in the middle of the park.

He returns to pre-season at Melbourne City a few weeks later after a deserved rest like all the players who played Confeds Cup. I highly doubt he'd need long to get back into match shape due to his conditioning as he's probably the fittest player in the squad. Yet Joyce only sees him as a bit part player off the bench to relieve McCormack and prefers players like Malik, Mauk and Jakobsen in the middle of the park. 

If I went from playing exceptionally well against Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal and co to sitting on the pine while Osama Malik and Stefan Mauk strutted their stuff in midfield and the only  goalscoring threat our striker posed came from set pieces and penalties I'd feel like the coach doesn't have faith in my abilities. In a World Cup year I wouldn't be sitting on the pine and giving the NT coach a reason not to take me on the plane to Russia after being a key reason to why we qualified in the 1st place.

Of course thats correct, but as someone said above he shot himself in the foot having a sook about it. Problem is that his profile is big enough that people/media care when he makes those comments

I don't think he shot himself in the foot at all, I think Wazza is pretty stubborn in his ways and didn't see a place for Timmy in his system. There was only two ways this was gonna play out; the way is has with Timmy forcing the clubs hand into releasing him or he stuck around and was content with coming off the bench for a few minutes and eventually fading into obscurity. I know which one every player with international ambitions would choose.

11 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Get rid of Joyce.  Amateur club coached by an amateur.  You don't treat an icon of the game this way.  Don't blame Tim for leaving one bit.  Other fringe socceroos get regular game time yet Cahill doesnt?   Joke.  Get rid of Joyce. 

Because a player is a 'Socceroos Icon' doesnt mean he automatically gets gametime. We have no idea how Timmy would have gone playing 60+ mins every game this season and we dont know what hes like at training.

The only thing I am concerned about him leaving is his influence in the change room, although in the last few weeks I think it has been more negative then positive.

I hope the club use his $400k salary (guess) on someone who will make a difference on the pitch.

Edited by haz

32 minutes ago, haz said:

The only thing I am concerned about him leaving is his influence in the change room, although in the last few weeks I think it has been more negative then positive.

Well don't be as I am sure any player who supports the manager (which should be all of them) would consider Tim a flog for trying to chest up against the manager. 

Wazza was brought in for one reason and one reason only and that's to set us up for the future, Marwood came to back Wazza up and tell everyone that it's Wazza's way or get out.

Doesn't matter if you agree or not that's just the way it is.

Hopefull we look at this period in a few years and agree we are a better team for it.

NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB.

Good riddance Tim

As Bruno said 'Now Fk oooofffff'

COME ON CITY!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

In normal condition yes, but Timmy's history looks bigger than City's. He won't be a second fiddle to NPL level players and unfit lesser foreign player.

Correct.  Tim is bigger than heart/city.  Who the fark is Joyce anyway?  Some yoof coach.  What has he achieved?  Timmy has achieved more than Joyce and city/heart put together.  About time this club got serious and got a proper coach or will be playing in front of an average of 3,479 crowds.

All about my boy ross "the boss" Mconrmak. Timmy was just getting in his way.

He never really fit in with the team anyway, he would've been pretty much obsolete when bruno came back regardless.

Thanks for the ffa cup winner and the screamer in the derby but don't let the door hit you on the way out flog. :up:

30 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Correct.  Tim is bigger than heart/city.  Who the fark is Joyce anyway?  Some yoof coach.  What has he achieved?  Timmy has achieved more than Joyce and city/heart put together.  About time this club got serious and got a proper coach or will be playing in front of an average of 3,479 crowds.

I'm switching between tv and the forum and can't work out what's funnier - Seinfeld or some of the utter crap I'm reading here. This one above is a beauty. 

• Like 4