Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I hope we got something out of it and didnt just let him take the money and run. I suspect we'll never know.

If its Cahill it will be take the money and run. But hey thats 500k in the cap we have now

Anyway pretty funny this was announced on his birthday

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

I know its cool to hate on Tim in here but bad move by the club.

He was better at scoring from open play than Fornaroli last season.

The fans love him especially the kids, every time he came on on or ran past the crowd while on the bench he got a massive cheer.

Keeps the club narrative going that Melbourne City cannot be trusted when it comes to big name signings, first Villa not hanging around now Tim. Will kill any chance of a membership boost in the future based on signing players.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If its Cahill it will be take the money and run. But hey thats 500k in the cap we have now

Anyway pretty funny this was announced on his birthday

Hmm look i doubt the club let him walk i reckon they'd have made him pay some of it back before letting him go, and tbh, i reckon he will have done that because of how desperate he is to go to Russia. In saying that, as above, we'll never know.

The interesting part now is that we have a decent chunk of cap left (anywhere from 120k to 290k depending on what report you read) for 4 months to spend. Obv to bring in a foreigner we'd have to let one go, but we'll have a spot for an aussie either way. Is there anyone that's a perfect fit that could fill a need? Nathan Burns?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I know its cool to hate on Tim in here but bad move by the club.

He was better at scoring from open play than Fornaroli last season.

The fans love him especially the kids, every time he came on on or ran past the crowd while on the bench he got a massive cheer.

Keeps the club narrative going that Melbourne City cannot be trusted when it comes to big name signings, first Villa not hanging around now Tim. Will kill any chance of a membership boost in the future based on signing players.

Agree with this. No big loss in a playing sense imo, but in terms of the off-field side of things it's massive. Very disappointing from our "club captain"

Terrible for the club, probably good for Tim.

plsying up front in Wazza Ball it’s pretty thankless. Mostly you just press, with about 2 chances a game if you’re lucky. The odds of these coinciding with your 10 minutes on the field (if you’re Tim) are pretty slim.

presume we will bring in another defender to replace him.

#cantplaytoomanydefenders

• Like 1

Good news for the club as I think we have moved on from egocentric individuals that don't want to tow the line.

If any player thinks they are bigger than the team and tries to pressure the club and have a power play publicly the way he did then the door needs to be shown as this is culture that we need to get rid of, period.

Good luck to him and hope he gets playing minutes, but not at our club.

DRAIN THE SWAMP WAZZA, ALL OF IT.

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching him play.  His goal against the tards was world class and he scored to win us the FFA cup.  But his real legacy will be as CFG's bargaining chip to get the City Blue kit. 

See ya Timmy, and hopefully you stay fit and get to the WC.

As a side note, if he goes to Brisbane, or another A-League club, I hope our supporters do not boo him, despite how things have ended.

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

, if he goes to Brisbane, or another A-League club, I hope our supporters do not boo him, despite how things have ended.

Hope Schenkeveld destroys him if he does. And yes, we should hate his guts if he plays for another A-league club, like we would any other player. Actives should get a 'not good enough ' chant going.

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good news for the club as I think we have moved on from egocentric individuals that don't want to tow the line.

If any player thinks they are bigger than the team and tries to pressure the club and have a power play publicly the way he did then the door needs to be shown as this is culture that we need to get rid of, period.

Good luck to him and hope he gets playing minutes, but not at our club.

DRAIN THE SWAMP WAZZA, ALL OF IT.

Yeah let’s sign some egoless journeymen who would otherwise be playing NPL. Great idea!

• Like 1

Livid, largely because it's fucking shit 

The club has put a lot of money into this, and Cahill bails at the first time of being dropped / having to compete for a starting spot.

Also makes us look like a joke.

For everything that could have been with one of Australia's all time greats, it's all in tatters and feels very unfulfilled

In saying that, there are positives. We have time and cap space to get a solid replacement. Plus it's prevents any dissent directly from Cahill cannot now escalate amongst the squad. We also have the cup win and that derby goal to remember

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

I thought the conclusion from the Cahill experiment was that there was no discernible increase in memberships/attendance? Unless that's incorrect, why are people assuming that this is going to affect us in any material way?

I'd suggest that success matters more, and hopefully him leaving allows us to sign players that can deliver on the pitch.

He is a legend of Australian football but I hate the way he goes about his business, which is exactly what it is to him.  

I'm glad he is gone but good luck to him. 

17 minutes ago, R410 said:

Cahill to leave to make cap space
Brandan to leave to make visa space

sounds to me like they are trying to get Ross to stay.

If we lose Brandan and Cahill to keep some washed up fat striker who cant even score in open play and during the game is effectively as useless as Mifsud......

Some 'culture' Wazza is building there

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If we lose Brandan and Cahill to keep some washed up fat striker who cant even score in open play and during the game is effectively as useless as Mifsud......

Some 'culture' Wazza is building there

You mean the guy that's sitting 2nd in the golden boot?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yep the one who only scores set pieces. 

So? They're still worth the same as a bicycle kick from outside the box.

Ross has a fair bit of improvement left in him for sure, but the fact is he's scored 6 which is a pretty bloody good return from 9 games.
In the championship he was always known as a finisher, if he can start to get that clicking here then i think he could be a huge asset. I'm holding out hope that once he gets one he'll be away. I'm very keen to see him play with Bruno, who i think will thoroughly complement him, should he get the chance.

3 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

We got sky blue jerseys.

And he dragged us to an FFA cup.

I mean in relation to the release. As in paid us 500k back personally etc

Edited by bt50

Just now, bt50 said:

So? They're still worth the same as a bicycle kick from outside the box.

Ross has a fair bit of improvement left in him for sure, but the fact is he's scored 6 which is a pretty bloody good return from 9 games.
In the championship he was always known as a finisher, if he can start to get that clicking here then i think he could be a huge asset. I'm very keen to see him play with Bruno, who i think will thoroughly complement him, should he get the chance.

Well if you want a starting IX player whom is effectively a passenger unless we get a pen or a free kick relatively close to goal... Anyway, agree with the Fornaroli part. Tuna defiantly seems like he can play that second striker/ 10 and be effective. 

Thats of course if he stays