Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Not sure how much of this Cahill stuff i believe and how much is hyperbole, but it's certainly an unwanted distraction.

At the end of the day, and i say this as one as one of Timmy’s greatest fans (hell he was the reason I started following Everton back in the mid 2000’s and he’s a legend of the Roos setup), but if he is going to try to go down this path of blackballing the club, I hope we tell him in no uncertain terms that he’ll be staying here and seeing out this season unless a transfer fee of a fair significance is met. Letting him take the money and run after last years front ended contract is an absolute no-no for me, and if no one is going to meet our required figure then he stays. If he wants to play up and cause issues because of that, he can sit on the sidelines and rot. It’s a problem solely of his own creation.

And no doubt if we play hardball then the wolves in the media will come for us for hijacking Australia's world cup aspirations, but imo its incredibly important that the club stands for something and doesnt give in should that eventuate.

Spot on BT.  And as others have said, if he really is trying this on, he should be staying where he is and training on his own, or paying a good chunk of last year's wages back as part of any release settlement. Already some bollo in Guardian Australia today about how City should do what he wants.  Media can go hang.  We can't be any more hated as a club anyway.  But he needs to be well away from the dressing room pronto.  Absolute money grabbing flog.

• Like 1

I'm willing to see how this plays out. TBH I really think Cahill should be given a run at the 9 he does have the runs on the board at international level there. I'm not a fan of what he has done but I also feel this is a little storm in a teacup because its Cahill. If this was say Mauk then no one would (the media) would give a flying fuck.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I'm willing to see how this plays out. TBH I really think Cahill should be given a run at the 9 he does have the runs on the board at international level there. I'm not a fan of what he has done but I also feel this is a little storm in a teacup because its Cahill. If this was say Mauk then no one would (the media) would give a flying fuck.

Mauk wouldn't try it. He doesn't have the arrogance to believe he can dictate selection.  And he hasn't taken a shed load of money in the first year to welch as soon as the second year at lower money starts.  And yes, he does believe he can win the media campaign and get what he wants, undermining the dressing room in the process. He can't be allowed to.

• Like 2

Restless Cahill set for crisis talks with City chief Marwood

But the Socceroos talisman can expect no guarantees of enhanced game time, or an easily expedited passage elsewhere, as Melbourne City prepare to play hard ball with their costliest asset.

Marwood is due in Melbourne at the back end of the week on pre-determined club business, but Cahill's future now tops the agenda after the veteran attacker's public pronouncements that he'll "find a way to play more" if coach Warren Joyce continues to leave him on the bench.

The club are unimpressed with Cahill using a TV platform after Australia clinched World Cup qualification with their win over Honduras to voice his displeasure at being used so sparingly this season.

"I've got to make some big decisions on the level of where I'm playing at and what I'm going to do," added the 37-year-old, who is desperate to retain his match fitness heading into Russia 2018.

Marwood and the club hierarchy would have preferred he kept his grievances in-house and Cahill is unlikely to be afforded any special dispensations when the parties meet.

The City Football Group (CFG) invested around $2.2 million in Cahill over three years, with the FFA understood to have kicked in another $800,000.

Cahill collected around $1.8 million of that last season in a heavily front-ended deal.

With the incentivised component of the deal downgraded this season, Cahill can expect as little as $200,000 from City, not including bonuses.

He has 18 months remaining on the contract, with the final year acting as a proposed transition into coaching.

However, all is up in the air now as Cahill, whose relationship with Joyce has been frosty since the Englishman's arrival, seeks either first team football assurances or a move elsewhere.

Joyce has told Cahill that his physical attributes are not always compatible with the style of football he is attempting to employ, an explanation which did little to endear him to the Socceroos' all-time top scorer.

Hence the validity of recent reports claiming the pair's relationship is "at breaking point".

There is the possibility of a January swap deal with another A-League club, or a transfer offshore.

However, it's difficult to envision a plethora of bidders for a player, who despite his enduring pedigree, turns 38 on December 6.

In any event, Cahill will not be allowed to leave without some form of compensation.

The CFG were hoping the acquisition of Cahill would boost City's attendances and enhance commercial activity - but neither have eventuated.

All eyes will now be on Friday night's visit of Perth Glory to AAMI Park, and just where Cahill fits into Joyce's jigsaw, with four-goal signing Ross McCormack currently the first choice striker.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/20/restless-cahill-set-crisis-talks-city-chief-marwood

18 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Mauk wouldn't try it. He doesn't have the arrogance to believe he can dictate selection.  And he hasn't taken a shed load of money in the first year to welch as soon as the second year at lower money starts.  And yes, he does believe he can win the media campaign and get what he wants, undermining the dressing room in the process. He can't be allowed to.

The suggestion wasn't that Mauk would try it. Replace Mauk with 'player x'. If 'player x' said they wanted more game time in the media, no one (Read: in the media) would pick it up and make it a shit storm. If the media don't make it a shit storm no one knows (us) and no one cares. It's only a shit storm because it's Cahill. Is it average yes, should we lynching him on some shitty media, I don't think so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Restless Cahill set for crisis talks with City chief Marwood

But the Socceroos talisman can expect no guarantees of enhanced game time, or an easily expedited passage elsewhere, as Melbourne City prepare to play hard ball with their costliest asset.

Marwood is due in Melbourne at the back end of the week on pre-determined club business, but Cahill's future now tops the agenda after the veteran attacker's public pronouncements that he'll "find a way to play more" if coach Warren Joyce continues to leave him on the bench.

The club are unimpressed with Cahill using a TV platform after Australia clinched World Cup qualification with their win over Honduras to voice his displeasure at being used so sparingly this season.

"I've got to make some big decisions on the level of where I'm playing at and what I'm going to do," added the 37-year-old, who is desperate to retain his match fitness heading into Russia 2018.

Marwood and the club hierarchy would have preferred he kept his grievances in-house and Cahill is unlikely to be afforded any special dispensations when the parties meet.

The City Football Group (CFG) invested around $2.2 million in Cahill over three years, with the FFA understood to have kicked in another $800,000.

Cahill collected around $1.8 million of that last season in a heavily front-ended deal.

With the incentivised component of the deal downgraded this season, Cahill can expect as little as $200,000 from City, not including bonuses.

He has 18 months remaining on the contract, with the final year acting as a proposed transition into coaching.

However, all is up in the air now as Cahill, whose relationship with Joyce has been frosty since the Englishman's arrival, seeks either first team football assurances or a move elsewhere.

Joyce has told Cahill that his physical attributes are not always compatible with the style of football he is attempting to employ, an explanation which did little to endear him to the Socceroos' all-time top scorer.

Hence the validity of recent reports claiming the pair's relationship is "at breaking point".

There is the possibility of a January swap deal with another A-League club, or a transfer offshore.

However, it's difficult to envision a plethora of bidders for a player, who despite his enduring pedigree, turns 38 on December 6.

In any event, Cahill will not be allowed to leave without some form of compensation.

The CFG were hoping the acquisition of Cahill would boost City's attendances and enhance commercial activity - but neither have eventuated.

All eyes will now be on Friday night's visit of Perth Glory to AAMI Park, and just where Cahill fits into Joyce's jigsaw, with four-goal signing Ross McCormack currently the first choice striker.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/20/restless-cahill-set-crisis-talks-city-chief-marwood

Pleased at the tone suggested here about the attitude of the club.  'Hardball' is a good word in this context.

2 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

The suggestion wasn't that Mauk would try it. Replace Mauk with 'player x'. If 'player x' said they wanted more game time in the media, no one (Read: in the media) would pick it up and make it a shit storm. If the media don't make it a shit storm no one knows (us) and no one cares. It's only a shit storm because it's Cahill. Is it average yes, should we lynching him on some shitty media, I don't think so.

No, I understood that Mauk equalled player x.  Agreed, this is pretty much a unique situation which wouldn't have blown up if it wasn't Cahill.  You're right that media would not have been interested.  But it's precisely because the media would turn it into a shitstorm that Cahill chose to do what he did, because by doing so he could bring pressure to bear that others couldn't. He thinks he's bigger than the club.  We'll see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I beg to differ, I think Cahill knew exactly what he was doing when he said it and intentionally planned to say it to use the media as leverage. Whether his goal is to get more game time for us or it is to secure a move a way I'm not too sure though I think it is the latter.

If the cunt wants game time then he can put his money where his mouth is and buy his contract out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

You've destroyed your own argument with the highlighted sentence. Of course it's a shit storm only because its Cahill, an icon of Australian football, and if he does play in Russia one of very few players to play in four World Cup Final series.

All he had to say was how thrilled he was that we had qualified for Russia and how he was going to do everything possible to try and be a part of it and what an honour it was to even have that possibility. Instead he chose to have a dig at Melbourne City, at CFG, and at Warren Joyce. He started all this - no-one else did. He's an egotistical flog, and deserves all the shit that he's receiving.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The way I see it, Cahill is a hero. Like almost all heroes he has character flaws. It's rare to get heroism without the flaws. Again though, it's about how the manager manages it

You are right, it's up to manager here, but I am afraid it's a lose-lose situation for Joice. Wazza has really 2 options here:

1. Let Timmy play at the expense of fulfilling Wazza's own strategy. 

2. Play him as supersub just like before.

Posiible outcomes:

1. We have one dimensional predictable attack and Timmy hurts himself in the process because he is too old to play that much.

2. We have more attacking options. Cahill plays occasionally and proves he is the first choice striker scoring goals and not by putting pressure on the Club using his AU Sport Legend status.

Either way, Joice will be attacked by every sport journo in this country. So, I hope Joice will straighten Timmy out or offload him.

If Cahill will not clear the situation before the game on Friday, the mentioned chant will be more than appropriate.

5 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

It'll be funny when Timmy starts and plays 90 minutes this Friday, so much hyperbole over nothing.

He ain't going nowhere.

I agree with this, he wants to play but its unlikely that he'll leave. If he were to leave he'd get no game time until the transfer window and then would be unlikely to get much game time after a transfer, even if it did happen

Edited by belaguttman

The whole story is a beat up by Journo's who are looking for a headline, The is a journalists mantra from Fleet Street "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story " and this occassion is a very good example . never mind what Cahill said , which in my opinion was just him pointing out that he himself needs to get plenty of game time to be able to make the World Cup next year regardless of where he plays .

It would be nice to have a Socceroos  who plays more actively in the field. Timmy is the only Socceroos of that calibre who is on the bench. Fringe Socceroos Brosque, Valeri are valued players of their clubs. Not to mention Troisi and Milligan. None of them are nearly close to Timmy. We are statistically members of the second least successful club in the A-league. Make your own conclusion on the club, management and other lofty standards about who should play for us. 

This is definitely without any info but what if.

Valkanis departure opens the door for Cahill to take over as a "playing assistant" for the remainder of the season.

Very coincidental that as soon as Marwood arrives Valkanis leaves and the whole Cahill situation seems to stop.

Just sayin.

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Valkanis departure opens the door for Cahill to take over as a "playing assistant" for the remainder of the season.

Very coincidental that as soon as Marwood arrives Valkanis leaves and the whole Cahill situation seems to stop.

Just sayin.

*Warren to move into an assistant role and Tim to take over as "playing manager"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Just sayin.

Nice lateral thinking, but I can't see how that helps his "playing minutes."