Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

59 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Oh yeah its definitely true and a shame really

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Unfortunate, but is it any worse than the national team being advertised as the "Caltex Socceroos" - I don't know who sponsors them now - is it still the same?

IMO sponsorship is just another evil of modern football (and other sports as well). Once upon a time footballers wore club jerseys, not advertising slogans.

If anyone's interested, our sponsors are listed here. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/partners

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Unfortunate, but is it any worse than the national team being advertised as the "Caltex Socceroos" - I don't know who sponsors them now - is it still the same?

IMO sponsorship is just another evil of modern football (and other sports as well). Once upon a time footballers wore club jerseys, not advertising slogans.

If anyone's interested, our sponsors are listed here. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/partners

Yeah I forgot about the Caltex Socceroos.

I actually don't mind a front of shirt sponsor, something like Etihad like we have is something simple. But then you have sponsors like what the visitors have and it looks rubbish

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hazzaverx said:

If he sends us to the world cup he can celebrate however he wants as far as im concerned.. 

It is questionable however.

Exactly. How much Timmy wants to further his reputation as a walking corporate billboard is up to him. Most importantly is he never lets this get in the way of his effort, objectives and passion for the game itself for both club and country. 

47 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Who gives a shit?

He can do whatever the fuck he wants

I know what you mean, but that is, in fact, not the case. The players representing Australia are bound by the conditions of the contract they have with FFA. And in a World Cup match, by conditions imposed by FIFA.

Melbourne City superstar Tim Cahill on Ronaldo, Henry and the art of crossing

Jason Pine

Oct 12, 2017

His aerial prowess rescued the Caltex Socceroos against Syria on Tuesday night and now Australia’s all-time leading goal-scorer Tim Cahill has revealed what makes for a perfect assist.

Australia's talisman headed home crosses from Mathew Leckie and Robbie Kruse in Sydney to send his country through to an intercontinental playoff against Honduras.

And having benefited from the service of several top-quality team-mates throughout his storied career, Cahill has opened up about the kind of service he craves to excel in the box.

“Someone who's cultured - someone who understands footballers' runs and timings,” Cahill told www.a-league.com.au

“Pretty much my whole career I've made a living off players like Mikel Arteta, Steven Pienaar, Leighton Baines and Thierry Henry - players who can see what's happening next.

“I was lucky to have [Nicolas] Colazo as part of the Melbourne City team last year.

“It makes a big difference when you've got someone who understands football.”

BEST OF THE BEST

In a career spanning two decades, Cahill has enjoyed hugely successful stints with the likes of Everton in the English Premier League, NY Red Bulls in MLS, Shanghai Shenhua in China and now Melbourne City.

Having played in some of the top leagues around the world, Cahill has now revealed the best players he’s played with and against throughout his decorated professional career.

“The best I've played with is Thierry Henry, Mikel Arteta, Louis Saha and Phil Neville for his professionalism,” Cahill said.

“Players like that are just exceptional.

“The best I've played against would be Roy Keane and Cristiano Ronaldo – they’re two very different players that I admire a lot.

“Roy Keane for his work ethic, mental toughness and being a leader and Cristiano Ronaldo because he's got everything!”

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/melbourne-city-superstar-tim-cahill-ronaldo-henry-and-art-crossing

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I know what you mean, but that is, in fact, not the case. The players representing Australia are bound by the conditions of the contract they have with FFA. And in a World Cup match, by conditions imposed by FIFA.

True,  but the blokes a legend,  surely we can let him do what he wants! It's not even that bad imo

Edited by kingofhearts

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Perhaps those who keep on bagging Colazo might now realise what a good footballer he is?

He was a highly technical quality player that from my memory played 3 quality games for us last years 1st Derby the FFA Cup final and that game with all the kids. The rest were very average to poor. But we've done this to death.

• 3 weeks later...

FFA delays making a decision on whether Tim Cahill will travel to Honduras

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

Nov 4 2017

IS A Rolled ankle about to cost Australia a place at the World Cup?

Tim Cahill and the Socceroos staff will wait until tomorrow morning to make a call on whether he flies to Honduras.

Australia’s record goalscorer is being assessed by Melbourne City’s medical staff, and he will consult with them and the Socceroos medicos before Cahill and coach Ange Postecoglou make a call.

The striker today received scan results which are believed to have cleared him of serious injury after he rolled his ankle in Friday night’s loss to Sydney FC.

The ligament damage could leave him in doubt for Saturday morning’s first leg World Cup qualifying playoff against Honduras.

Cahill, who is due to fly late Sunday morning, has spent much of the last 24 hours icing his ankle in a bid to keep the swelling down.

“A decision will be taken on Sunday after the swelling subsides,” an FFA spokesman said

“We won’t really know until then what the real situation is.”

Cahill was forced from the field in Friday night’s 1-0 A-League loss to Sydney FC at AAMI Park after landing awkwardly in attempting to hurdle Sky Blues defender Jordi Buijs.

The 37-year-old was able to walk and put weight on the ankle but was whisked away to hospital for scans.

Cahill was due to leave Melbourne on Sunday, a 30-hour journey involving three flights to arrive in San Pedro Sula.

Given the inflammation involved with a rolled ankle, it’s not an ideal scenario for Cahill or the Socceroos’ hopes of qualifying for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

Neither Cahill, his A-League club Melbourne City are commenting on the severity of the injury.

Instead, Sydney FC and ex-Socceroos coach Graham Arnold has urged the country to cross fingers for the health Australia’s all-time leading scorer.

Cahill missed City’s Saturday morning recovery session, opting to recuperate at home in an attempt to make his flights as planned.

The avid social media user put a solitary quote on his Twitter and Instagram account, which reads ‘You become what you think. So think positively’. Cahill’s importance to the Socceroos was underlined in their most recent qualifier.

The veteran scored twice and played the full 120 minutes in Australia’s second leg victory against Syria to set up the showdown with Honduras. It’s why Arnold, who coached Cahill as Socceroos boss a decade ago, has suggested Australian fans should say a little prayer.

“Lets all keep our fingers crossed he’s OK,” Arnold said.

“I just want us to qualify and we need our best team out there. ” Timmy’s our star.

“You can’t give (enough) credit for someone who does so much for the country. “Against Syria, over 120 minutes, what he did was phenomenal. “I’m sure he’s OK. He’ll be ready at least for the return leg here in Australia.” The away leg with Honduras will be played on November 11, before the return tie in Sydney on November 15.

Melbourne City coach Joyce defended his decision to give Cahill a first start of the season ahead of the crunch qualifiers.

“Timmy’s desperate to play. He’s been training hard. It’s a big game. We’re trying to win a big game. That’s it,” he said.

“The fact the national team coach (might have wanted him to rest) has got no bearing on it.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos/tim-cahill-injury-news-australia-socceroos-v-honduras/news-story/96663220201b1c306476454ce1e6778f

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...