Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Nothing more to say about that header, but he worked harder than I have seen him previously. Great game.

He looked like the old Timmy at the start of the game didn't he. Was great to see. Was well and truly cooked by the time he was subbed but who cares. Had done his job by then.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mr MO said:

Wish the rest of these slackers could the same for once, well I guess next week is the ultimate test.

Actually I expect to win next week, the serious test is the week after and in the unlikely event they pass, an even tougher one after that.

To me though they've already failed the test. Sydney are the genuine champs and we didn't even get close.

Tried to help the club grow I have know issue with that but when you need to give up the game you need to man. Big money getting thrown for no reason when u can sign someone to help the team on the park.

if he loves the club can help behind the sense

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2017 at 8:15 PM, GreenSeater said:

Just finished Tim's autobiography. If you haven't read it I recommend it. Really good insight, and has made me respect him even more.

How much did you pay for his book? There is a shop (can't rem the name) in Northland that is 50% storewide which sells his book.

4 hours ago, Tony999 said:

How much did you pay for his book? There is a shop (can't rem the name) in Northland that is 50% storewide which sells his book.

You can buy it for $9.99 at QBD Books.

Doncaster, Plenty Valley, Epping, Foutain Gate, Eastland, Highpoint, Southland, Northland,Woodgrove, Werribee, Knox City, and Geelong.

Or online with free shipping.

https://www.qbd.com.au/legacy/tim-cahill/9781460750483/?gclid=CKKAz-SnrdQCFZkDKgodMzQAKA

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You can buy it for $9.99 at QBD Books.

Doncaster, Plenty Valley, Epping, Foutain Gate, Eastland, Highpoint, Southland, Northland,Woodgrove, Werribee, Knox City, and Geelong.

Or online with free shipping.

https://www.qbd.com.au/legacy/tim-cahill/9781460750483/?gclid=CKKAz-SnrdQCFZkDKgodMzQAKA

Hardback as well.

Bloody cheap

• 2 months later...

It wasn't a game where he was going to excel, playing in a packed central midfield with no quick breaks from the wingers to deliver into the box. That being said I don't think he works well as a striker in our system unless we get the #10 working closely off him. 

Physically I think he's fit enough and committed enough for another 2 seasons but he needs to be playing as a midfielder, despite his age he gets around the park better than Brattan and Malik and has that winning mentality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Based on what I saw last night we'd better get an injury replacement for Bruno.

Not sure Timmy has a lot more left in the tank.

Should retire gracefully. Been a big player for his clubs and his country, but it's time to go before his reputation is sullied. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Fucking oath. Scoring 13 goals in 26 games in all competitions last season was absolutely disgraceful, I was personally embarrassed for him, especially when he headed that ball into the net in the Cup Final.

Please call it a day Timmy, before all our memories of you are tarnished.

Tbh i think he's pretty close to done at international level, albeit perhaps for a stint off the bench in a game where the conditions suit.

But as his stats indicate, he's still clearly got at least another season left in him at A League level and any suggestion that its even possible to tarnish his reputation is bordering on ridiculous. He's our greatest ever Socceroo that still delivered on the big stage for his club ffs.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think he's pretty close to done at international level, albeit perhaps for a stint off the bench in a game where the conditions suit.

But as his stats indicate, he's still clearly got at least another season left in him at A League level and any suggestion that its even possible to tarnish his reputation is bordering on ridiculous.

For most other decent countries yes, but for Australia no. 

Aside from Juric we have no better striker, Giannou is probably even but hasn't proven himself in big moments like Cahill has. 

Cahill is still in our best squad, however this is much more an indictment on our depth than it is a testament to his longevity. The Socceroo's atm have maybe 3 players (Mooy, Sainsbury, Ryan) that don't have glaring weaknesses in their best position. 

• Like 1

As Aardvark says, he probably should be done at international level but we still haven't managed (outside of a really short purple patch from Juric) to find a solid option up forward who produces enough goals for us in Timmy's abscence.

Even a suggestion that he's done at club level is so far from accurate it's hilarious though. He was our most effective goalscorer from open play last season, if anything he's added to his reputation by coming back here in his twilight years and still managing to have a solid impact and demonstrate more passion and work ethic than just about anyone in our squad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

For most other decent countries yes, but for Australia no. 

Aside from Juric we have no better striker, Giannou is probably even but hasn't proven himself in big moments like Cahill has. 

Cahill is still in our best squad, however this is much more an indictment on our depth than it is a testament to his longevity. The Socceroo's atm have maybe 3 players (Mooy, Sainsbury, Ryan) that don't have glaring weaknesses in their best position. 

Agree that we havent been able to adequately replace him, but this qualifying campaign he has been non-existant as a striker even when he has played. IMO he should only be brought on now in a game that is stop-start and lots of stoppages, or even a more direct game. Last night we were trying to play through them which clearly was not going to suit him, or Juric for that matter. I'm not suggesting we should not take him into the qualifiers or to Russia, but i certainly dont think he should be getting the minutes he has been either.

At club level however, as @Embee rightly points out, he has more than enough runs on the board still, esp when played in a system that suits him. I 100% agree that his season last year enhanced his reputation here, esp as a big game player. And thats not to say last season was perfect, he had many games where his influence was limited, but 13 goals from a makeshift 10 is still a great return, especially when they came in big games at crucial times. His lack of influence on the game other than scoring goals was really something that should be levelled at the coaching staff anyway, not Tim himself.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree that we havent been able to adequately replace him, but this qualifying campaign he has been non-existant as a striker even when he has played. IMO he should only be brought on now in a game that is stop-start and lots of stoppages, or even a more direct game. Last night we were trying to play through them which clearly was not going to suit him, or Juric for that matter. I'm not suggesting we should not take him into the qualifiers or to Russia, but i certainly dont think he should be getting the minutes he has been either.

At club level however, as @Embee rightly points out, he has more than enough runs on the board still, esp when played in a system that suits him. I 100% agree that his season last year enhanced his reputation here, esp as a big game player.

Yeah the few games I have seen he has struggled to have an impact. Although last night like everyone else on the team he had multiple chances and failed to take them, and in a game where the ball lived in our box he is a player that could have easily bobbed up with multiple goals. Still he has been a better option than someone like Maclaren, who has been practically invisible for the Socceroo's in the games I have watched unfortunately. 

At club level I think he is great, gives us drive, a constant threat and is entertaining. Also someone like Maclaren proves that struggling at international level does not mean you will struggle in the A-League. 

Cahill is still good enough and more importantly fit enough for another season at A League level. He was millimeters aways (not an exaggeration) from opening the scoring last night in the first half which would changed the whole complexion of the game. 

At international level that's still open for debate. His last two games would suggest he still is good enough so IMO he should be part of the playoffs and hopefully finish up in Russia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Aardvark said:

Yeah the few games I have seen he has struggled to have an impact. Although last night like everyone else on the team he had multiple chances and failed to take them, and in a game where the ball lived in our box he is a player that could have easily bobbed up with multiple goals. Still he has been a better option than someone like Maclaren, who has been practically invisible for the Socceroo's in the games I have watched unfortunately. 

At club level I think he is great, gives us drive, a constant threat and is entertaining. Also someone like Maclaren proves that struggling at international level does not mean you will struggle in the A-League. 

IMO last night would have suited Maclaren quite well from the outset as he actually was making runs whereas Cahill and Juric were quite static. Unfortunately by the time he came on the team was that adjusted to playing inside they ignored him completely.
Overall though i agree, Maclaren is far too much of a one trick pony to be successful at international level, and definitely in the system Ange likes to deploy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

IMO last night would have suited Maclaren quite well from the outset as he actually was making runs whereas Cahill and Juric were quite static. Unfortunately by the time he came on the team was that adjusted to playing inside they ignored him completely.
Overall though i agree, Maclaren is far too much of a one trick pony to be successful at international level, and definitely in the system Ange likes to deploy.

I think McLaren has potential, but he's really struggled so far when he's been given a chance.

Moving to the Bundesliga 2 might help lift him to a higher level? Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Cahill’s big call on retirement plans

TIM Cahill has revealed that retirement plans could be postponed and declared Asian qualification was a must for Melbourne City on the eve of the A-League season.

The Socceroos’ leading goalscorer joined Melbourne City last season on a three-year deal, with a two-year playing contract expected to morph into a coaching role in 2018-19.

He may be turning 38 in December but Cahill, who will miss Round 1 as he and the Socceroos navigate the World Cup playoffs, dropped the strongest hint yet that this may not be his final season.

Tim Cahill has revealed that he will consider playing a third A-League season for Melbourne City. Here he is relaying the news to Josh Brillante. Photo by Getty Images

“Way too early (to call it his last season), with the way my body is and the way that I’m feeling, I’m concentrating on the 27 games this year,’’ Cahill said.

“Last season I was injured for pretty much 40 per cent of the season and I played 23 (games) plus internationals.

“This year I’ve upped my running data and really pushed myself that I’m going to have a better year when it comes to on track, fitness-wise. So that’ll be a great test for me.

“I’m lucky that my body’s like this and it’s been a great eight week pre-season and I have not missed a day of training or pulled out of sessions.

“We’ve set out a plan and it’s all about playing. That’s why it frustrates me missing the start of the season, if selected (for Australia).”

Cahill will miss the opening round of the A-League season as he and the Socceroos face Syria in the World Cup playoff.

Cahill said City’s lower profile heading into this season was by design, but said securing an Asian Champions League spot was a pass mark.

“We have to be looking for Asia, that (missing out) was the biggest disappointment for me,’’ he said.

“I wouldn’t be as ambitious saying we’ll win everything. We’ll let Sydney FC and the other clubs say that.

“There’s a lot of new players and a new manager and we’ve got to adapt as soon as we can. Now we’re out of the Cup, the total focus is looking for an Asian spot.

“No hype this year. We’re the biggest club because of our name and the badge (but) I think some of our players will flourish (without the hype). This season, I don’t think much is expected of us from (the media) and public.’’

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou still views Cahill as an important part of his set up. Photo by Getty Images.

Cahill said City, who host Brisbane Roar in Round 1 on October 6, had learnt lessons from the disappointing 2-0 FFA Cup loss at Sydney FC.

“The FFA Cup was a disappointment. That’s something we have to put right pretty quickly,’’ Cahill said.

“It wasn’t good enough and it needs to be rectified, which will happen in the next few weeks.’’

• 3 weeks later...

Ange Postecoglou looking to start Tim Cahill in Socceroos' World Cup qualifier

OCTOBER 8 2017 - 7:00PM
Dominic Bossi

So often in the past he's been the saviour for the Socceroos and in their hour of need this campaign, Tim Cahill is set to carry their hopes once more. Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou has hinted at starting the 37-year-old in Sydney on Tuesday night in their crucial World Cup qualifying play-off second leg against Syria. 

With the tie locked at 1-1 and on a knife's edge, Postecoglou is turning his attention towards the veteran forward who is in a tight race to spearhead the Socceroos' attack. A number of changes to the starting line-up are already certain and while the final XI won't be chosen until after Monday's training session, Cahill is firming as a likely choice up front. 

The question remains whether a potential start for Cahill will come at the expense of Tomi Juric, who started the first leg and was unfortunate not to have scored. Juric played close to a full game in Malaysia and Postecoglou suggested he could start Cahill in order to keep Juric as an option off the bench. 

"Tomi worked awfully hard the other night. Over the last two games – the Thailand game and the other night – he probably could be in double digit international goals already in his career. So he's come along really well for us. But having Timmy there and being able to throw Tomi Juric on later is certainly something that's in my thinking," Postecoglou said. "Either way we go, we've certainly got a weapon coming off [the bench]."

Should Cahill be selected, it will be just his second start in the latter stages of qualifying. Australia's all-time leading goal scorer played alongside Juric in the Socceroos' 2-1 win over Thailand in September in Melbourne but lasted only 57 minutes before being substituted. 

The potential selection of Cahill will be one of several changes to the starting line-up for the return leg against Syria with Postecoglou hinting at fielding a significantly different looking side. Celtic midfielder Tom Rogic is likely to come in, so too QPR's Massimo Luongo. Hull City's Jackson Irvine, Melbourne Victory midfielder James Troisi and Bournemouth left-back Brad Smith are also in contention to be among the XI.

A chartered flight back to Australia immediately after their draw with Syria in Malacca has been a major boost for the players' recovery, meaning Postecoglou has a full squad to select from. But confident with the depth of talent in midfield and attack, he will likely ring in the changes. 

"We obviously have some depth, particularly in some certain areas of the park, and it would be silly not to use it. There are some guys with real good energy who didn't use it the other night and when you look at it the second game will always be a  taxing game," he said. "It makes sense for us, especially if we can start strong, to make sure we have some fresh bodies out there. A few of them are really keen to get out there and make an impact so we'll definitely make some changes."

An impressive debut on Thursday night in Malaysia has put central defender Matt Jurman in a strong position to retain his place. The 27-year-old played his first international in the sapping conditions in Malacca and has recovered well. An injury to Bailey Wright rules him out of contention meaning defender Ryan McGowan is a late arrival. While McGowan's short preparation won't rule him out of contention to start, it's understood that Postecoglou will avoid disrupting the partnership from the first leg that held firm. 

It means Jurman will likely partner Trent Sainsbury and Milos Degenek at ANZ Stadium.

"I thought Jurms [Jurman] did a great job the other night. First game, obviously a big game and in difficult conditions and I thought he handled himself really well. Ryan [McGowan] is an experienced campaigner. We'll have a look at him and obviously the same with Milos, but I think more likely the changes will be further up the park than at the back with all things being equal," Postecoglou said. 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ange-postecoglou-looking-to-start-tim-cahill-in-socceroos-world-cup-qualifier-20171008-gywmnv.html