Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

3 hours ago, kingawesomeness said:

Cahill signed a 5 month contract with Greentown around Feb 20, so he still has another month on his contract.

Correct. My bad. His contract expires July 20 (20/07/16), not next Monday.

I, and seemingly Triple M, were confused by this passage from Ray Gatt's article written yesterday: 

Unfortunately, Hangzhou have been struggling this season and are sitting second from bottom with just nine points from 13 games and in danger of being relegated. Cahill has scored three goals in 11 games and provided several assists

It is understood the club will not take up an option to retain him when the Chinese transfer window opens on Monday.

(source)

Maybe CFG will pay a small transfer fee, to get Cahill to Melbourne soon so he can be fully ready for the 2016/17 season. Also his club Hangzhou would quite possibly be open to getting some money for a player they will lose at season's end anyway.

On the thinking behind bringing Cahill to Australia, I'd say the hope is to give Melbourne City, the A-League and Australian football a short term boost. There's one year left on the A-League's TV deal, and negotiations to secure TV rights from 2017 onwards will begin in earnest soon. The FFA wants to double revenue that it gets from its TV deal (currently $40m per year), and I'd say the hope is that Cahill makes a big enough splash next season, and makes the A-League seem to be on an upward trajectory, so that an $80m per year TV deal can be secured (which is an outcome that would take Australian football up another level).

Anyway I'm keen to see how much buzz around Cahill could improve Melbourne City's situation. I'm very undecided as to whether the buzz will be closer to the negligible Kewell-like boost MH got, or closer to the (short) Villa-like boost the club got. Hopefully it's the latter, because IMO if Melbourne City got some buzz and became the "noisy neighbours" of Melbourne (and maybe a real high-profile sports club in Australia), the club would witness some real strong growth.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

FFA = Small mind mentality. 

Cahill v Big name international/s

Aleague v AFL instead of Aleague v World of football

Completely wrong mentality. 

Did you know I am the worlds best expert on writing my signature?

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

This is gonna be a circus tbh, which I don't mind if it was good for the club or the league, and to a certain degree it is but I also really don't think it's that good. This kind of money and effort should go into getting someone straight from a top EPL club or a top Champions League club, that's what will bring all the euro snobs to games. Maybe Tim Cahill could have done it years ago, and he we still have some effect now, but not enough to justify all this over the top crap. 

There are a fuckload of football fans in this country, most unfortunately don't care about the a-league, and Cahill isn't changing that. Fortunately for Cahill  the FFA's vision is too small, could have doubled the money on offer and brought in someone who would completely revolutionise the a-league like Beckham did for the MLS. Basically someone like Villa but who actually stays the season,and Cahill is not going to have the effect of Villa. 

The sort of player you are talking about wouldn't dream of coming here for $3M/seAson. $30M would be more like it (to come to a football backwater). Everyone might say the FFA "lack vision" but you have to cut your cloak to fit your cloth and their budget has to have a limit.

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The sort of player you are talking about wouldn't dream of coming here for $3M/seAson. $30M would be more like it (to come to a football backwater). Everyone might say the FFA "lack vision" but you have to cut your cloak to fit your cloth and their budget has to have a limit.

David Villa came here still in his prime and as one of the biggest names in world football and his salary is only US$5.6m, thats about $7.5m in Australian money.

Maybe you'd need to offer a bit more to make up for the higher tax here but I don't think these players would want more because the A-league is a lesser league than the MLS, all they care about is the $$$ at that point in their career.

Given there is talk of Cahill earning $6m in one year from the package FFA, Foxtel, and CFG are putting together, I don't think it's really a stretch to think some more money could be put in and get someone that will actually have a noticeable impact. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

A little bit of history: it won't be the first time Cahill's worn the team jersey if he signs..

13july01.jpg

Love this photo. Interestingly I'm in it, I'm the guy with the Red beanie taking a photo of my cousin with Timmy!! #Funfact

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Anyway I'm keen to see how much buzz around Cahill could improve Melbourne City's situation. I'm very undecided as to whether the buzz will be closer to the negligible Kewell-like boost MH got, or closer to the (short) Villa-like boost the club got. Hopefully it's the latter, because IMO if Melbourne City got some buzz and became the "noisy neighbours" of Melbourne (and maybe a real high-profile sports club in Australia), the club would witness some real strong growth.

To be fair, the profile boost Victory got when they signed Kewell was fairly substantial. Harry was in everything that year. By the time he came to Heart he was old news and was never going to bring in any crowds. The circus had well and truly been seen by that stage.

Timmy will offer a better product than Harry did imo, because he's still talked about as the key to Australia winning/scoring, and seems to be a much greater hit with the kids. Oviously someone like a Villa or a Gerrard would have a greater effect on unconverted soccer fans (Eurosnobs if you like) but imo Cahill will have a greater effect on the Australian public that otherwise aren't football fans as is his name is gold to your average AFL/NRL fan.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Why would I cut a perfectly good cloak to end up with a piece of cloth?

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

His team crushed 4-0 last night.

If he comes to Australia I think it will end in tears for all concerned.

Hangzhou is shit this season and it is always a team fighting for relegation.

From what Hangzhou fans told me, Cahill did quite well this season and he is in a good shape.

Also, whisper from China is Cahill has played his last game for Hangzhou. 

Illawarra make bid for possible Cahill fixture

The Illawarra region could host Socceroos legend Tim Cahill on December 9 if all the pieces fall into place.

Fairfax Media reports that the December 9 fixture, which falls in round 10 of the 2016/17 Hyundai A-League season is currently without a home venue.

The clash, between Sydney FC and Melbourne City could feature Cahill, who City are believed to be on the precipice of signing.

Football South Coast CEO Ann-Marie Balliana welcomed the possibility of highlighting what WIN stadium is capable of hosting, after 11,000 trickled through the gates last year.

“If ever there was an opportunity for the game to be played in Wollongong, that would be terrific,” Balliana told Illawarra Mercury.

“In the past, especially for the first fixture we had last year, we have drawn great crowds.

“We would obviously love an opportunity to host another A-League game here.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/illawarra-make-bid-possible-cahill-fixture#XTDrbdgDGFOBwu6I.99

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Hope we don't sign him now. City is just being used as a marketing tool by everyone else.

21 minutes ago, rass said:

....which is probably a condition of the clubs agreeing to the 'guest marquee' concept in the first place.

Yes that was the point.
Clubs who sign big marques get less than 50% of the bounce from it.
Half your matches are away and after a while the bump in your home matches drops off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Hope we don't sign him now. City is just being used as a marketing tool by everyone else.

I like your views usually JW, couldnt care less where we play as long as Cahill is fit and firing for us and he is playing all home and away games and even more impotant is home games.

Surely a matter of time now with FFA officially announcing season long guest players..

Second half is interesting (but not surprising) aswell referring to our applications for a branding change.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/guest-player-spot-approved-for-201617-a-league-season/1lh4ejtsc6l7b1usdffahhs5j8

Edited by MHFCRC