Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just having a think about tactics and Leicester City came to mind.

Our player list is set up for this style of play.

Fast flankers, good central defensive control and dynamic creative finishing options.

Very good player list for a counter attacking flat 442, or 352 with attacking wingbacks with 2 DMs.

A serious 2 prong attacking threat really allows flexibility.

Problem is that's contra to the clubs philosophy of playing good possession based attacking football. 

I expect we will see a cockup of both ideals and chasing our tails followed by a whole list of excuses.

Just now, Jovan said:

Problem is that's contra to the clubs philosophy of playing good possession based attacking football. 

I expect we will see a cockup of both ideals and chasing our tails followed by a whole list of excuses.

Yeah, I have a feeling that if JVS doesn't perform early he will be gone within a 5 rounds. CFG won't put up with that crap given the list he has.

Clearly it must have been tough on JVS, having such a balanced team and then having to convert players to other positions and what not. I actually feel sorry for him, but glad there's light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully now he is able to put together a squad so unbalanced that it will suit his coaching style. 

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

The best aerial threat and best ground threat in the A league......... Can't ask for much more in the box, don't you think?

Well its getting the ball on to Tim's head that is the problem.  I don't think the National Curriculum is yet up to Chapter 3:  Putting In a Cross that doesn't fly 15 feet over the crossbar and hits the corner flag on the full.

I'm really mystified as to what his football contribution will be on the field especially if we keep Novillo. Undoubtedly we could have signed a much more effective player for $3 million who would have fitted into our style of play without major compromises. I can't see us getting value from Cahill playing him off the bench and really his signing leaves little place for players like Novillo and where/how will we play Gamiero and Kamau as Cahill will have no place in a 4-3-3 apart from Bruno's position. We need a far better coach that JVS to make this work, not just tactically but the man management in the team will be critical.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm really mystified as to what his football contribution will be on the field especially if we keep Novillo. Undoubtedly we could have signed a much more effective player for $3 million who would have fitted into our style of play without major compromises. I can't see us getting value from Cahill playing him off the bench and really his signing leaves little place for players like Novillo and where/how will we play Gamiero and Kamau as Cahill will have no place in a 4-3-3 apart from Bruno's position. We need a far better coach that JVS to make this work, not just tactically but the man management in the team will be critical.

I think this means Novillo is gone (Unfortunately). 

Cahill signing if confirmed as the 3rd Marquee or loan or whatever you want to call it can only be seen as a bonus. 

But ultimately how to structure a well balanced efficient side is the 3 million dollar question.

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think this means Novillo is gone (Unfortunately). 

Cahill signing if confirmed as the 3rd Marquee or loan or whatever you want to call it can only be seen as a bonus. 

But ultimately how to structure a well balanced efficient side is the 3 million dollar question.

Clearly Cahill is going to be playing full back. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

How bout a 4-4-2 mate surely that or a different formation of that would work. With Kamau and fitzy flying down the wings and providing for cahill while bruno can be picked out if everyone freaks and trys to stop cahill or vice versa. 

48 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

How bout a 4-4-2 mate surely that or a different formation of that would work. With Kamau and fitzy flying down the wings and providing for cahill while bruno can be picked out if everyone freaks and trys to stop cahill or vice versa. 

Exactly right.

That's obviously what the recruitment was about.

Bratten, Caseres, Melling, marquee controlling the centre, Fitzy, Ivan, Kamou, Novillo controlling the flanks, and up front Timmy controlling the air and Bruno controlling the ground.

Don't know why some people are so confused about it as its so obvious what tactical advantage and flexibility is created with Timmy.

Whether he plays in a deeper position like AMF or a CF or a ST it doesn't matter as he will be there to control the air and decoy defenders to create space for Bruno as others have already stated.

The flexibility Timmy brings to our structure and tactics is fantastic.

But you are right, as starting with a flat 442 or flat 4411 would be smart choice.

• Like 1

FWIW about 40% of my opposition to us signing him was because he would take up a marquee spot (the other 60% is because he is a flog), and I think some of the fact that he is a flog can be made up for by the fact this signing will piss off other teams' fans since we get a 3rd marquee. So overall I think I can accept this signing given the rule change enabling it (still guess I have to follow through and cancel my membership though).

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Other clubs including FFA are supporting the idea of City rolling out 3rd marque as well as 3m+ salary for Cahill.

they will not stand in the way of CFG

As long as jvs is retained in his role indefinitely 

Edited by Jestr

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

FWIW about 40% of my opposition to us signing him was because he would take up a marquee spot (the other 60% is because he is a flog), and I think some of the fact that he is a flog can be made up for by the fact this signing will piss off other teams' fans since we get a 3rd marquee. So overall I think I can accept this signing given the rule change enabling it (still guess I have to follow through and cancel my membership though).

From what I've read the fans of other aleague teams generally don't have an issue with him coming to us.

• Like 1

Socceroos legend Tim Cahill set to sign A-League deal with Melbourne City - which could earn him $6 MILLION

• Tim Cahill has been linked with a move to A-League side Melbourne City. Celebrity agent Max Markson believes Cahill could earn $6m for the move
  • Cahill could also have his own show and would be the face of the league 

By CAMERON PHELPS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

s

Tim Cahill is on the verge of finally making the leap to the A-League with Melbourne City and celebrity agent Max Markson believes he could earn as much as six million dollars a year. Cahill, 36, is currently playing for Hangzhou Greentown in China, but with the club struggling this season, it is unlikely the club will take up an option to retain him when the transfer window opens on Monday, according to News Corp Australia. Melbourne City have been negotiating with the Socceroos forward for the past few months, and a major roadblock was removed last week when Football Federation Australia (FFA) allowed guest stints from stars to last for an entire season.

City, backed by English premier league giants, Manchester City, have the financial backing that would allow them to meet the salary demands of the Socceroos' leading all-time goalscorer. Markson believes that Cahill would become the face of Football in Australia and the FFA would pull out all their tricks to bag the star attacking midfielder. 'I think Cahill will land a deal with the Melbourne City and the FFA will make him the face of football in Australia and also part of his deal will involve Foxtel,' Markson told Daily Mail Australia. 'The deal would be around six million dollars, I think he will be the six million dollar man.'

Markson also said that Cahill could have his own TV show and his signing would signal a new era of football in Australia. 'We need marquee players and signing a guy who is the best in Australia and still at the top of his game would do that,' Markson said. 'Cahill signing would attract other international talent and make the game stronger and more appealing.' It is believed Cahill has also attracted interest from a number of other Chinese clubs, as well as some from the US and England.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3645923/Celebrity-agent-Max-Markson-believes-Tim-Cahills-League-net-six-million-dollars-TV-show.html#ixzz4BsM9O21L 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3645923/Celebrity-agent-Max-Markson-believes-Tim-Cahills-League-net-six-million-dollars-TV-show.html

I wonder how much of that "$6 mil" is split between us, FFA and Foxtel?  Either way if the article is correct in saying that Cahill will become the face of football in Australia and even have his own tv show, as long as he is wearing his City kit, it can only be good exposure for the club.

I'm not against us/the league taking advantage of the change in the guest player rule if we can benefit from it - but is Cahill really worth $6m for one season when people reckon that at most he will add 1000-2000 to our membership numbers? And I'm saying that knowing we won't foot the whole bill. Also I'm beginning to get irritated that all the focus seems to be on just one player, and I hope it isn't because we won't win the league that way. We need a team that plays for the shirt not just a star player. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not against us/the league taking advantage of the change in the guest player rule if we can benefit from it - but is Cahill really worth $6m for one season when people reckon that at most he will add 1000-2000 to our membership numbers? And I'm saying that knowing we won't foot the whole bill. Also I'm beginning to get irritated that all the focus seems to be on just one player, and I hope it isn't because we won't win the league that way. We need a team that plays for the shirt not just a star player. 

of course he's not worth $6 mill. 

23 hours ago, playmaker said:

Just having a think about tactics and Leicester City came to mind.

Our player list is set up for this style of play.

Fast flankers, good central defensive control and dynamic creative finishing options.

Very good player list for a counter attacking flat 442, or 352 with attacking wingbacks with 2 DMs.

A serious 2 prong attacking threat really allows flexibility.

We need some good crosses of the ball now.

Not sure if this is derivative or new reporting:

Tim Cahill on verge of signing for Melbourne City

Socceroo legend to join City

Posted: 17 June, 2016 by Triple M

One of Australian soccer’s worst kept secrets looks likely to be confirmed next week when Tim Cahill signs for Melbourne City.

Both the Herald Sun and The Australian report this morning that the Socceroos’ all-time record goal-scorer is coming home to play in the A-League from next season.

[...]

http://www.triplem.com.au/classic-rock/sport/soccer/latest/2016/tim-cahill-on-verge-of-signing-for-melbourne-city/

It's seemingly based on yesterday's newspaper articles. Also, next week would make sense as Cahill's contract with his Chinese club expires on Monday, so I guess he could be announced as early as Monday next week.

This is gonna be a circus tbh, which I don't mind if it was good for the club or the league, and to a certain degree it is but I also really don't think it's that good. This kind of money and effort should go into getting someone straight from a top EPL club or a top Champions League club, that's what will bring all the euro snobs to games. Maybe Tim Cahill could have done it years ago, and he we still have some effect now, but not enough to justify all this over the top crap. 

There are a fuckload of football fans in this country, most unfortunately don't care about the a-league, and Cahill isn't changing that. Fortunately for Cahill  the FFA's vision is too small, could have doubled the money on offer and brought in someone who would completely revolutionise the a-league like Beckham did for the MLS. Basically someone like Villa but who actually stays the season,and Cahill is not going to have the effect of Villa. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

This is gonna be a circus tbh, which I don't mind if it was good for the club or the league, and to a certain degree it is but I also really don't think it's that good. This kind of money and effort should go into getting someone straight from a top EPL club or a top Champions League club, that's what will bring all the euro snobs to games. Maybe Tim Cahill could have done it years ago, and he we still have some effect now, but not enough to justify all this over the top crap. 

There are a fuckload of football fans in this country, most unfortunately don't care about the a-league, and Cahill isn't changing that. Fortunately for Cahill  the FFA's vision is too small, could have doubled the money on offer and brought in someone who would completely revolutionise the a-league like Beckham did for the MLS. Basically someone like Villa but who actually stays the season,and Cahill is not going to have the effect of Villa. 

This is my worry. I honestly don't think he will generate the hype that is suggested. We could have done a whole lot better for the money. However this is what FFA think is good for the A-league and they have been willing to change the rules to allow us to have effectively 3 marquee players. So long as he doesn't stuff up the structure of the team.