Melbourne Football

Who is our next Aaron ($) Mooy

Jake

It seems to me that CFG have hit the 'jackpot' with Aaron Mooy, him being signed just prior to their reign. I imagine finding superstars is part of the reason for their global approach. He may not be that, but he's the best Aussie in the a league.

So who could do a Mooy, give us some great seasons, and go on to bigger and better things. Better than Eli, Aziz and er, that's about it. 

Season before last my money would have been on Melling. Now, I think the coffers are a little dry.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Caseres will shine this season. I expect him to take control of the centre and feed the forwards. We had glimpses of this quality last season and I expect him to be the best CM in the A league.

Prepare to be disappointed. Mariners fans had been saying this every season and nothing ever happened. All sizzle, no steak.

Our next breakthrough player may not be on our books ATM. Mooy is an example of that. We got lucky or did we spot a very good opportunity and blindsided Popovic? What ever, them is the breaks so we just need to spot talent wherever it might be. Is Bruno an example of an inspired bit of recruiting?

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Prepare to be disappointed. Mariners fans had been saying this every season and nothing ever happened. All sizzle, no steak.

Quite certain he played as an attacking winger at ccm. He definitely stood out when he was in that box to box midfielder role for us. What I'm concerned about with him is whether he will fade out of games, particularly big games. His personality appears a bit introverted where he might not step up in those big moments. 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Quite certain he played as an attacking winger at ccm. He definitely stood out when he was in that box to box midfielder role for us. What I'm concerned about with him is whether he will fade out of games, particularly big games. His personality appears a bit introverted where he might not step up in those big moments. 

I think if the manager puts a bit of trust and ownership on that role for him then he might blossom. He did struggle alongside Mooy but honestly who would want to step on Mooy's toes when he carves it up each week.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Luke Brattan.

He'd wanna be. If he plays same as he did at roar I'd be happy. Just wondering how a season off would affect him. No different I guess than a long term injury but you just can't replicate game time.

Looking to a few a long range efforts.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

He'd wanna be. If he plays same as he did at roar I'd be happy. Just wondering how a season off would affect him. No different I guess than a long term injury but you just can't replicate game time.

Don't like his chances based on history. Is it me or does every former Roar player that comes to us underperform. Murdocca, Paartalu, Zullo, Franjic. 

Common denominator, JVS. 

Just now, Jovan said:

Personally I think he is here to take Caceres starting spot. 3 starting midfielders Malik-Brattan-marquee (hopefully not a veteran plucked from the championship this time). Caceres, Melling, Retre as injury cover.

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Don't like his chances based on history. Is it me or does every former Roar player that comes to us underperform. Murdocca, Paartalu, Zullo, Franjic. 

Common denominator, JVS. 

Exactly @n i k o. We really have done poorly bringing in players that have performed well at other A League clubs maybe Mooy the exception. 

I agree the common thread is how the coach tells them (or doesn't) to play but I suspect you will see better from Zullo and Franjic in the future. I can confirm Franjic has played injured for a long time which is part of the reason his work rate has seemingly been down. In a few games before re-injury Zullo looked good too. Zullo was brilliant in the away win to Adelaide. If he gets fit at Sydney I think he will be a great addition for them.

I kind of feel in Murdocca and Paartalu Ang really managed to get more out of them than the sum of their parts. Murdocca in particular is the one that really points out the difference between a really good coach and a ............... (insert describing word for JVS) coach.

45 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I agree the common thread is how the coach tells them (or doesn't) to play but I suspect you will see better from Zullo and Franjic in the future. I can confirm Franjic has played injured for a long time which is part of the reason his work rate has seemingly been down. In a few games before re-injury Zullo looked good too. Zullo was brilliant in the away win to Adelaide. If he gets fit at Sydney I think he will be a great addition for them.

I kind of feel in Murdocca and Paartalu Ang really managed to get more out of them than the sum of their parts. Murdocca in particular is the one that really points out the difference between a really good coach and a ............... (insert describing word for JVS) coach.

Of all these 4 players you discuss, the only one I don't agree about is Murdocca.  Basically his effectiveness was based on his high energy game.  When that dropped off a little he wasn't the same player.  I'm blaming father time in his case, I mean why do you think he was shown the door at Brisbane?  Paartalu I'm blaming the coach.