Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

14 hours ago, haz said:

Brattan’s other call-up came in November 2016 to replace ruled out Massimo Luongo against Thailand after he was originally in the extended 30-man squad.

I think this broke him. Ange blew this game big time - trained everyone too hard we were tired and flat.
Brattan came back like this despite not playing and he has yet to recover.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

You move the defense back 20m you obviously mitigated the quick counter and the stupid 1 on 1 with keeper but you also kill your midfield. More area to cover and more gaps for their AM to operate. 

The answer for me is just intelligence. Knowing when to press and in which areas. Knowing when to sit. Alot of that is confidence. At the moment the team as whole is devoid of confidence the senior players but more so the coaching group has to create it. 

For me our biggest issues are our mental approach. 

Not the whole picture though, there is an argument to this where creating more space in the midfield creates more time therefore players aren't  scrambling for space which is less taxing on the midfield and creates more direct central opportunities which we currently lack. Also it allows the opposition to press forward into our half that gives our forwards more space for a counter attack.

I also think our players are demoralised due to our game style and the lack of result even though they work harder on the pitch with the ball than any other team with no real reprieve from the high pressing high intensity game.

The structural effect by the defence sitting deeper would have a great flow on effect and more importantly addresses our deficiencies of defending the long ball counter which should be our number 1 priority.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

I'd like to see the players find their own solution to the two banks of 4 defenders ... they need to mix it up.

We are just so predictable, slow and lack invention that we don't even look like scoring at present.

Absolutely we need faster more direct ball movement, particularly through midfield, rather than continuing to recycle the play out wide.

Things like shots from distance, defenders making deep runs into midfield, first time diagonal passes & give and go, short lobbed passes, or even playing the ball off a defender; these things can all create chances to unlock a defence.  I remember watching Del Piero play and at times when he was in a dangerous position but under pressure, he would make out like he was going to win a ball, but rather at the last second, he would either allow or gift possession to the defender, who would be so surprised, and then himself under pressure, that Del Piero would win it straight back and create a chance ... meanwhile the opposition had lost it structure through the turnover.

We've got the players capable of breaking down opposition, but we have lost the invention and flair necessary to score.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PB_603 said:

I don't know why people like to have a go at his hair. It's quite beautiful and always looks clean and lustrous. I will be sad to see it go.

Agreed, when he let it down in the FFA Cup Semi it looked nothing but magestic in the wind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PB_603 said:

I don't know why people like to have a go at his hair. It's quite beautiful and always looks clean and lustrous. I will be sad to see it go.

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see more females around this place taking part in discussions. Just avoid Hellenics thread in the Club Room. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Agree. Prefer Retre right now.

I reckon have

Fornaroli

Fitzgerald       colazo        kamau/brandan

Caceres     Kilkenny 

Rose       tonic       jakobsen     franic

Sorensen 

Retre does need game time as well to improve so i reckon he should play against teams lower then us or go to central coast or newcastle 

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

Brattan has admitted himself that he is not playing well and maybe some of the other so called first team players along side him needed a kick up the arse, well after last night maybe some of them took a good long look at themselves and maybe next week there is a change in attitude. To which i must add, a change in "Style"but that has to come from management.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rass said:

Bahahaha did you actually watch Retre last night?

I did. And no his game was probably as good as he will deliver but with Brattan better is expected, and lets face it - last nights game the team came back from two goals down and both goals were in the second half. Brattan has had better players around him and they have never done that.

55 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I did. And no his game was probably as good as he will deliver but with Brattan better is expected, and lets face it - last nights game the team came back from two goals down and both goals were in the second half. Brattan has had better players around him and they have never done that.

Really not sure of your logic but each to their own...

I'm not suggesting Brattan was MOTM like those fox bunnies but he played his best game since his Socceroo call up. He was in everything and hit some nice passes. Still seems a bit lax tracking back and hasn't hit a shot on target for what feels like months. But very good signs. A firing Brattan will definitely change our fortunes come finals time.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2017 at 6:07 PM, moops said:

I wasn't joking

Brattan was beast last night....didn't see much of Genreau....Brisbane was tired and worn out see how/if he gets a run against a spritely Sydney! Don't go wishing a 16 year old's career away ever heard of 'peaking' too early wouldn't want that to happen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, haz said:

Got his head shaved on the city snapchat today. Should be a YouTube video up soon on their channel.

tmp_28356-Screenshot_2017-03-15-13-49-49-1-1-11103622492.png

Not really shaved is it. My understanding of shaved is baldy. That's just a cheap haircut. 

Edited by Jovan
I understand it's for a great cause and good on him.
  • Like 3

$50 one of Andy Harper or Hill will say during our Jets game one of

"Luke Brattan will be looking to make an impact with his new hairdo, may put some more pace in his game" 

or

"Now that his luscious locks have been cut off for the World's Greatest Shave, he'll be looking to regain some form"

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/15/citys-brattan-shooting-europe-move-0

Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan wants to use the final rounds of the A-League season - and hopefully a title win - as a springboard back to European football.

The 27-year-old has made clear his ambitions as City return to A-League action this weekend against Newcastle Jets.

A championship comes first.

And then, if all goes to plan, a return to the northern hemisphere to give the big leagues another crack.

"No shying away from it. I want to play overseas," he said.

The fringe Socceroo won a move to English Premier League titans Manchester City after the 2014/15 season but couldn't challenge for a first-team berth there or at second-tier loan side Bolton.

A move to the club's A-League affiliate was an obvious solution to his lack of game time, and has proved fruitful for both club and player this season.

With less than two months remaining in City's A-League season, Brattan said he had "no idea" where his future lies.

"I could be anywhere next year," he said.

"At the moment I'm here and want to win another championship. I want to do big things with this club.

"The future is very bright but I'm desperate for another championship so hopefully we can do that this year.

With two years remaining on his Manchester City contract, Brattan said he had enough time to make it abroad - and the best way to do so would be lifting another trophy at the end of the season.

"My personal goals are different from the team. That's all that matters, the footballing team," he said.

When City face the Jets at AAMI Park, Brattan might be hard to spot.

The 27-year-old showed his compassionate side on Wednesday, enlisting a barber to shave off two years worth of locks as part of the World's Greatest Shave.

Brattan has raised $17,000 for the Leukaemia Foundation and hopes the haircut will have many benefits.

"Hopefully I'm a bit quicker on the field as well, I need all the help I can get," he joked.

"It's a fantastic cause and it's close to my heart. I've had a close family friend suffering from this for a while now and all the money and awareness we can raise is great for the people that need it."