Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Sign in to follow this  
japiedog

Luke Brattan

Recommended Posts

Harrison    169

I've always been a proponent of Brattan. He can pass, tackle and can actually score from outside the box (something that isn't valued as much as it should be).

He isn't at the same level as Mooy but if he combines well with Caceres and/or potentially a new signing then we'd have a pretty strong midfield.

Presumably Malik shifts to defence now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    3,117
1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Melling & Brattan partnership in the middle and get a foreign #10 as marquee. 

That's probably the planning but I felt Retre went past Melling last season. Melling has a big year ahead to comand a starting position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murfy1    3,170

I wonder if the team will play 4 in midfield next season, if the Caceres re-signing and Brattan signing reports are true. Along with another midfielder like Arzani signing, we'll just have so many midfielders next season, so it would make sense to move away from the 4-3-3 formation.

 

It would also explain some more why the club is fine for Novillo to leave, as we wouldn't need so many wingers next season. Indeed, the only 2 players at Melbourne City who are exclusively wingers are Kuzmanovski and Kamau (Garuccio can play as a LB [even if its not ideal], and Fitzgerald showed last season that he can play in a 4-4-2 diamond in midfield). And IMO there's no need to change the team and the formation to force those 2 players into it (also, I wouldn't bet against Kamau being able to play a role similar to what Novillo played in a 4-4-2 last season--playing as a second striker off Bruno).

 

With our midfielders, I can see a midfield diamond with:

                                   Malik

                   Caceres           Brattan

                          *New marquee*

 

And as depth: Melling, Retre, Fitzgerald, Arzani

 

 

Also after almost 6 years of the club mainly playing 4-3-3, I'd like to see another formation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silva10    839
17 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I wonder if the team will play 4 in midfield next season, if the Caceres re-signing and Brattan signing reports are true. Along with another midfielder like Arzani signing, we'll just have so many midfielders next season, so it would make sense to move away from the 4-3-3 formation.

 

It would also explain some more why the club is fine for Novillo to leave, as we wouldn't need so many wingers next season. Indeed, the only 2 players at Melbourne City who are exclusively wingers are Kuzmanovski and Kamau (Garuccio can play as a LB [even if its not ideal], and Fitzgerald showed last season that he can play in a 4-4-2 diamond in midfield). And IMO there's no need to change the team and the formation to force those 2 players into it (also, I wouldn't bet against Kamau being able to play a role similar to what Novillo played in a 4-4-2 last season--playing as a second striker off Bruno).

 

With our midfielders, I can see a midfield diamond with:

                                   Malik

                   Caceres           Brattan

                          *New marquee*

 

And as depth: Melling, Retre, Fitzgerald, Arzani

 

 

Also after almost 6 years of the club mainly playing 4-3-3, I'd like to see another formation.

I will be surprised to see that formation Murfy

Like others I feel Malik will drop back to defence. He can play Fitzy and Kamau from the wide positions

I expect Caceres to play centrally and ahead of Brattan.

It will be interesting to find out who they may have signed as a second marquee player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    939

If Malik was to remain DM I think it would be a 4 2 2 2 or even 4 2 3 1, with Malik and Brattan DMs. With flexibility of the front 4 being Bruno, Fitzy, Kamau, Caseres and a marquee giving a centre or wide attacking flexibility.

But I see Malik joining the back 4 TBH.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murfy1    3,170

I was sort of making 2 assumptions:

1) We'll end up signing a new Visa CB to replace Aaron Hughes. This would then give us the dilemma of who gets dropped between Malik and Chapman, if Malik becomes another defender.

2) The club signs Tim Cahill. Then, the team would probably play with 2 strikers (Fornaroli and Cahill [also maybe Gameiro in the mix when he's fit].

 

4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 could be pretty good formations next season, as well as a 4-4-2 diamond IMO.

 

 

All up, I guess the formation will ultimately be decided by what final signings Melbourne City makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    5,016
1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

I was sort of making 2 assumptions:

1) We'll end up signing a new Visa CB to replace Aaron Hughes.

Please god yes. Tired of banging on about this everytime it's brought up. A visa CB that has some descent ball playing skills, good mobility and chews through nails. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mus-28    2,306
5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Please god yes. Tired of banging on about this everytime it's brought up. A visa CB that has some descent ball playing skills, good mobility and chews through nails. 

You just described Kolo Toure. Make him Player/Manager/Captain/CEO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,192

If you read the Brattan/Caceres announcement carefully you will see that it was supposed to be made last week. It refers to our return to training on 27th June in the future tense. Someone has stuffed up the PR there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    2,187

I hope he doesn't, but I think Brattan will either have a very slow start to the season or flop completely.

Also, Bouzanis wearing Mooy's shorts at 1:00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shahanga    3,672
55 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I don't know anything about this guy, but hopefully he will help fill the hole left by Aaron

Very good passer of the ball.  Defensively a little suspect.  

Even so there is not a club in the league that wouldn't want him in their side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesla    8,112

LOL @ people who don't realise Brattan is Mooy's true replacement.

Only player this league has seen that passes better than Mooy.

Brattan > Mooy > Pirlo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InMyHeart    318

Don't 100% Agree with the Brattan and Mooy comparisons... I do agree that his passing is very good, however, 

Brattan covers far less ground then Aaron, instead he likes to get on the ball and pass (well at that) straight away often long, direct and diagonal. 
Brattan will play #6
He doesnt have the goals in him that Mooy did

Still, huge improvements in his game to be had with us, expecting a big season.

Expect AC to step up and be the creative player we need
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    180
19 hours ago, Tesla said:

LOL @ people who don't realise Brattan is Mooy's true replacement.

Only player this league has seen that passes better than Mooy.

Brattan > Mooy > Pirlo.

Brattan was more box to box Mooy played exclusively as a No. 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rass    1,069
12 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Brattan was more box to box Mooy played exclusively as a No. 10

Hmmm no not exclusively. He morphed into it because of Koren's unavailability and general shiteness. At times he also played deeper than a 10.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    939

He will be a great DM. A good, consistent distributor of the ball that we lacked last season. The type of player that will provide good service for counter attacking mids and forwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    5,016
1 minute ago, playmaker said:

He will be a great DM. A good, consistent distributor of the ball that we lacked last season. The type of player that will provide good service for counter attacking mids and forwards. 

You say that with Paartalu and Malik in mind yeah? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shahanga    3,672
5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

He will be a great DM. A good, consistent distributor of the ball that we lacked last season. The type of player that will provide good service for counter attacking mids and forwards. 

I'm concerned how he will go at #6 when we don't have the ball. We prefer him as the 8.

Cahill would be brilliant at 6, but no one normal spends his kind of money on a 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    180
1 hour ago, playmaker said:

He will be a great DM. A good, consistent distributor of the ball that we lacked last season. The type of player that will provide good service for counter attacking mids and forwards. 

He's not a great tackler, or good without the ball 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
playmaker    939
19 hours ago, n i k o said:

You say that with Paartalu and Malik in mind yeah? 

Yeah I do. Didn't think much of Paartalu and his distribution was sub par, and Malik is a different beast altogether. I think Bratten's strength is his vision, consistency, and good distribution especially long balls to our flankers. Overall I think he will create more consistent opportunities and better balls to our forwards which is something Paartalu failed to do.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tommac    107
22 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I'm concerned how he will go at #6 when we don't have the ball. We prefer him as the 8.

Cahill would be brilliant at 6, but no one normal spends his kind of money on a 6.

Uh? Cahill would be brilliant at 6...? Big call, as he has literally never played there..

Edited by tommac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    3,117
4 minutes ago, tommac said:

Uh? Cahill would be brilliant at 6...? Big call, as he has literally never played there..

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run at CB. After all he's good in the air.

Matt Thomson 2.0

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shahanga    3,672
11 minutes ago, tommac said:

Uh? Cahill would be brilliant at 6...? Big call, as he has literally never played there..

Certainly has. Both at New York coke and in China. According to him he was great! (But I'm sure he would be at A League standard)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tommac    107

Well- I've never seen/heard that- and if so, I stand corrected. Can't say I think he'd be any good there.   It's a waste of his most useful attributes -ie being good in the air, making good anticipatory runs into the box. He's not a great tackler or passer either. So I don't see any reason to think about playing him as a defensive midfielder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murfy1    3,170

Interesting that Brattan said (in the interview in the Video Thread) that his preferred position is as a no 6.

 

With these options in midfield:

- Brattan

- Malik

- Caceres

- Melling

- Retre

- Arzani

 

Also a marquee midfielder to replace Mooy has been suggested. So it'll be interesting to see how our midfield lines up next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesla    8,112
On 30/06/2016 at 9:18 PM, Tesla said:

Only player this league has seen that passes better than Mooy.

Brattan > Mooy > Pirlo.

Seriously you could have a team of state league players and Brattan, and a competent coach would steer that team to the title.

How is someone who can pass like this even in the A-League?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Seriously you could have a team of state league players and Brattan, and a competent coach would steer that team to the title.

How is someone who can pass like this even in the A-League?

Because he's fat AF 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,192

Good though he is I think we're a bit predictable with free-kicks - as we were last season - unless we mix it up a bit. I really don't know why various players don't become specialists at various angles and distances. Similarly with corners - have more players able to take them accurately - last season it was painful to see Mooy amble from one side of the field to the other just to take a corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×